2988Re: [NH] Document Type Declaration

    Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Jody,

      >So, last we had a go round xhtml was/is the latest and greatest.
      >Before I convert zillions of pages is it going to work well as in
      >the biggies displaying it correctly and you guarantee it will
      >work in my boys Dick Tracy watch, right?

      Huh? ;-) If you question is "will XHTML work in all browsers" the answer is
      yes provided you skip the XML declaration on the first line, include a
      space before the closing slashes in empty tags and the documents are served
      as text/html and have an htm(l) extension. Not that I think you are
      planning anything else.

      >Or should I go with one of those extremely Loose ones? <bg> What is the
      >safe sure fire
      >declaration to use and/or what would be best to use, what do "you"

      Both your suggestions are Loose. If you mean you want the old rendering
      mode you can't use XHML since any XHTML DTD will put IE and Netscape 6 in
      Standards Mode. Your HTML 4.01 DTD with a complete URL also triggers
      Standards Mode. If you really, really want Quirks mode your only option is
      to use the HTML Loose DTD _without_ any URL. Or no DTD at all.