2898Re: [NH] web pages and Netscape

  • Ian Rastall
    Jul 20, 2002
      On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:34:51 -0400, you wrote:

      >So @import is an external stylesheet, given local stylesheet precedence?

      Yeah, from what I understand. It's CSS1. So it's been in there from
      the beginning. It's just that nobody uses it. I mean, why bother, if
      you can choose between <link> and an inline style sheet.

      What I use it for is if I have one or two problems that can't be
      worked out with all browsers. (I'm talking CSS problems.) That second
      style sheet (the @import one) only needs to contain a couple things.
      Say you want to use absolute positioning, but you can't do that with
      NS4 because its support is so buggy. You can use "float", for
      instance, in your regular stylesheet, and then write in your second
      sheet:

      div.foo {float: none ! important; position: absolute; left: foopx;
      top: foopx;}

      and in that way, you've just used two different ways of positioning
      your div's, and it works across browsers. And I don't think the
      "important" part is needed, but I guess it pays to be careful. Anyone
      who tries to go "table-less" either has to use @import or just not
      code for Netscape, because using CSS for layout is pretty much
      impossible when the support is so buggy.

      I tried slogging through the W3C CSS1 page a while back, and gave up.
      They talk about inheritance on there, and I wouldn't be surprised if
      inline style over-rides @import, though why you would need 3
      stylesheets I have no idea.

      Ian
      --