2896Re: [NH] Re: web pages and Netscape

  • Ian Rastall
    Jul 20, 2002
      On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:03:27 -0000, you wrote:

      >As Larry said, it doesn't matter what font you design a web page in, the page will be displayed in a font that is in the computer of whoever is looking at your web page. This is why generic fonts are recommended for html pages.
      >
      >The idea of a font-family "list" is to make sure a decent font is used to display the web page no matter who is looking at it.

      Do you mean: "Start with the best font, and offer the next best, and
      so on"? I've never tried that, because I'm thinking, "Start with the
      font you want, then offer the next closest, and so on". It always made
      sense to start off in, say, Georgia (which is my favorite font, if you
      can't tell), and then move to something more generic (Times New
      Roman), and then move to the most generic of that type (serif).

      The way I understand it, if nothing in your list works, the font just
      goes to default. So it'll always display, no matter what. But you can
      control how the page looks, and allow it to degrade gracefully if your
      intended font isn't available.

      Ian
      --
      That oughta be like hittin' fungoes