2891Re: web pages and Netscape

  • john041650
    Jul 20, 2002
      --- In ntb-html@y..., "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
      > John,
      > Please, why the alternative font-family?
      > Is it that some browser would have access only to one font family?
      > I know you must be right, but I need to understand the why of it.
      > Thanks,
      > Fay.

      Hello Fay,

      As Larry said, it doesn't matter what font you design a web page in, the page will be displayed in a font that is in the computer of whoever is looking at your web page. This is why generic fonts are recommended for html pages.

      The idea of a font-family "list" is to make sure a decent font is used to display the web page no matter who is looking at it.. Below is font-family I normally use.

      Font-family: Verdana, Arial, Georgia, Helvetica, Times, "Times New Roman", sans-serif, serif;

      The way it works is like this.. The computer of whoever is looking at my web page, first tries to display the page in the Verdana font.. If their computer does not have the Verdana font, then it goes to the next one in the font-family list, which in the above list is Arial. If Arial is not in their machine it goes to the next font in the list.. And so it goes.. The very last fonts in a font-family list should be generic serif fonts, fonts that are in almost every machine.

      By the way, font names that have spaces in them should be enclosed in double quotes (" ") that was one of the problems in your original stylesheet..

      Have a nice day,

      John :)
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic