2889Re: [NH] web pages and Netscape

  • Ed Brown
    Jul 20, 2002
      From: "Ian Rastall" <idrastall@...>
      To: <ntb-html@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 2:58 AM
      Subject: Re: [NH] web pages and Netscape

      On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:31:45 -0500, you wrote:

      >You should always code for NS 4. The only thing wrong and it is not wrong,
      >with NS 4 is that it demands that your coding be correct.

      Writing valid HTML is crucial. NS4 doesn't handle CSS very well,
      though. So if you're working with CSS, especially if you're trying to
      do a site without using tables for layout, you end up having to do

      On the main site that I run, I've managed to use one stylesheet for
      all the browsers, and that's because I use tables for everything. (I
      don't see that as very cool, but it's how I got everything to work.)
      There are a couple things that don't show up in NS4, but the site
      still works fine.

      But there is many thousands still using NS 4. the question becomes do you
      want them to read your pages?? Perhaps not. I do. I will use CSS and
      still try to make the changes in styles that NS 4 can use or avoid styles
      altogether on some pages. In many 3rd world countries they who have the
      least pay more to get on the internet. In fact in some of the richer
      countries people pay by the minute. Do you want them to see your pages?
      This means the simplest designs will reach the most people. It seems that
      simply design loads faster, prints better and the information is available
      faster, so CSS is not the answer in many cases at least at the present time.
      If you are working in a corporation and only trying to reach those on a
      closed circuit and the capability is there for them to read your page then
      you can do whatever seems good. I design for the masses and try to avoid
      using anything that would slow down page loading including photos. I use
      photos and lots of them, but I let people know this is a page with images so
      that they can skip those. But every situation is different. If you design
      only for a few segments of the population of the world then you do what is
      best to reach those people. Or you can make two, three or even four
      different pages and according to the browser send them to a page that they
      can easily view. So as long as your site works fine for the few people that
      you want to view your site, that is good, but remember it does not work
      fine for those using NS 4, or 3. And I think maybe, there are still some
      using NS 2. Does it work fine for reader browsers? And how does the large
      population of males that are color blind see your site?
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic