2882Re: [NH] Re: web pages and Netscape

  • Ian Rastall
    Jul 19, 2002
      On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:27:36 +1000, you wrote:

      >But as the last bit of font-family it went "sans-serif, serif;" (or the
      >other way around if the first choice was a serif font) . I'm still puzzled.
      >The validator that Lotta sent me too liked it, but it seems strange to me.

      I would never write it that way. Arial is a type of sans-serif font, I
      believe. So you would offer alternatives in sans-serif. A typical one
      would be:

      p {font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}

      The one I normally do is:

      p {font-family: georgia, "times new roman", serif;}

      I guess the point of going from sans-serif to serif, is in case
      someone's computer doesn't have sans-serif. But that's pretty
      unlikely. These days if you specify a Georgia font, chances are very
      good the browser will have it. The only real problem, is that people
      on Linux won't have access to the MS-specific fonts. But, of course,
      they'll have serif and sans-serif, and I believe they all have Arial.
      In the end, three choices is more than enough.

      Ian
      --
      That oughta be like hittin' fungoes
      with a corked bat. (Nathaniel Ward)