Skip to search.

2881Re: [NH] web pages and Netscape

  • Ian Rastall
    Jul 19, 2002
      On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:01:25 +1000, you wrote:

      >All the html sites said "Make sure it works in old browsers".
      >So I got one, and it didn't.
      >I have no way of knowing how many people would be using NS4.

      One important concept in the world of HTML is that web pages should
      degrade gracefully. This means that when accomodating something like
      NS4, you don't have to make everything exactly the same, as long as it
      looks pretty good, and works fine. Not having hover on NS4 is just
      fine. One thing I like to do is to remove the underline on links, by
      writing:

      a {text-decoration: none;}

      and combined with no hover, sometimes it's hard to see links. But I do
      it anyway, and I figure most net users are so used to the context of
      links that they'll have no trouble knowing which is which.

      There's a movement out there to exclude NS4 from everything. A lot of
      people now won't code for that browser at all. Some will detect the
      browser, and if NS4 is detected, the user will be forwarded to a
      screen telling them to update their browser. That's not terribly fair
      for people on slow connections, though (especially in under-developed
      nations). Some people will write the stylesheet without taking NS4
      into account at all. They'll detect the browser, and if it's NS4, it
      gets the plain version.

      I do something different. I use the @import hack. There are different
      ways of introducing a stylesheet, and one of them is to write:

      @import "foo.css";

      Every browser recognizes this, *except* NS4. So if you introduce an
      external stylesheet, like so:

      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foo2.css" />

      you can make that the stylesheet that Netscape recognizes, and make
      your @import stylesheet the one that all the other browsers recognize.
      You put all your main CSS in the Netscape sheet, and then anything
      that needs to be overridden, you put in the other one. Because
      style-sheets cascade, anything in @import will take precedence over
      anything in <link>.

      Sorry for the long explanation. Hope this helps.

      Ian
      --
      That oughta be like hittin' fungoes
      with a corked bat. (Nathaniel Ward)