219[NH] Re: members' only area

  • Mark Pulver
    Nov 16, 1999
      Larry Thomas (09:05 PM 11/15/1999) wrote:

      >This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
      >web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
      >sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
      >get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
      >explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
      >that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
      >true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
      >before doing this.

      This depends on the server configuration...

      If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge security hole.
      You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
      them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

      Mark

      Check out the Waldorf Q: http://www.midiwall.com/q
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic