217[NH] Re: members' only area

  • Larry Thomas
    Nov 15 7:05 PM
      Hi Kate,

      At 07:11 PM 11/15/1999 -0500, you wrote:
      >While you can get java apps which will let you password a web page, an
      >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
      >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html
      >
      >With this, regular surfers will just go to wanttoknow.com and only your
      >chosen ones will know to type in the extra page name!

      This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
      web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
      sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
      get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
      explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
      that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
      true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
      before doing this.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...