Re: [Clip] Dialog for processing Perl RegExp Replacements on open documents

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5 9:23 PM
      Sheri,

      Very nice! I dug out my SAMS, "Teach Yourself Perl in 24 Hours" and have
      been reviewing it in light of the recent Perl discussions. The Perltk really
      intrigued me. I have not had time to do anything of my own yet. We just
      moved a week ago Saturday, and I just got over the flu. Too many boxes to
      worry about, etc. My family insists on using the items packed in all these
      boxes, oh well!

      One suggestion, when the Global option is checked is is supposed to do all
      documents? I would hesitate to default that to on, just in case.

      Larry

      silvermoonwoman@... wrote:
      > Well, I did it.
      >
      > I hope some of you will try it. In addition to having Perl installed,
      > you will probably need to install at least one package/module (Config-
      > Inifiles). Installation instructions are included.

      > Regards,
      > Sheri

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6 4:09 AM
        At 12:23 AM 2/6/03 -0500, Larry wrote:
        >Very nice! I dug out my SAMS, "Teach Yourself Perl in 24 Hours" and have
        >been reviewing it in light of the recent Perl discussions. The Perltk really
        >intrigued me. I have not had time to do anything of my own yet. We just
        >moved a week ago Saturday, and I just got over the flu. Too many boxes to
        >worry about, etc. My family insists on using the items packed in all these
        >boxes, oh well!

        Hi Larry,

        I definitely empathize, I'm almost over something that has lasted nearly two weeks. Perl in "24 hours"? LOL. SAMS also has a 3 week teaching book.

        >One suggestion, when the Global option is checked is is supposed to do all
        >documents? I would hesitate to default that to on, just in case.

        The global option is just the regexp global modifier. If unchecked, only the first matched text within each unit is replaced. Might want to play with the different settings to learn how they work. Make a document that looks like this:

        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

        Now try replacing "a" with "z". Without global checked, only the first "a" per line (using "Lines") will be changed. Using Paragraphs, only the first per paragraph. Using Entire File, only the first in the file. But with global checked, all "a"'s should change to "z"'s regardless of Unit.

        At this point the process only operates on the current document, so have no fear.

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6 4:27 PM
          Sheri wrote:
          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > I definitely empathize, I'm almost over something that has lasted nearly
          > two weeks. Perl in "24 hours"? LOL. SAMS also has a 3 week teaching book.

          Yeah, I know.

          >> One suggestion, when the Global option is checked is is supposed to do
          >> all documents? I would hesitate to default that to on, just in case.
          >
          > The global option is just the regexp global modifier. If unchecked, only
          > the first matched text within each unit is replaced. Might want to play
          > with the different settings to learn how they work. Make a document that
          > looks like this:

          </snip>

          > At this point the process only operates on the current document, so have
          > no fear.

          OK got it.

          good stuff!

          Larry
        • Alan C.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11 3:50 PM
            Hi,

            For those interested the PTK gui to work with Ntab, I just ran across another source of info for that and also for Perl too, their tutorials section of perlmonks

            http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=181977

            --
            Alan.
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11 5:25 PM
              At 03:50 PM 2/11/03 -0800, you wrote:
              >Hi,
              >
              >For those interested the PTK gui to work with Ntab, I just ran across another source of info for that and also for Perl too, their tutorials section of perlmonks
              >
              >http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=181977
              >
              >--
              >Alan.

              Hi Alan,

              Are you finding a bit more time for this stuff? You gave some ideas before, and different pieces are starting to work, so I'm getting pretty excited about it :D

              One thing is clear, it would probably help alot to know how to use the debugger effectively. I tried single stepping with it and it was so busy reporting activity from various modules that it didn't seem to tell me anything useful about my code.