Re: value 2 one way versus someone else's way was Re: [Clip] StrPos how to find end of the line

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 23, 2003
      Hi Alan

      >On the other hand, were someone to prove 1 of the 2 methods as faster and/or while accomplishing task its useage of 'puters resources is significantly enough more economical than the other method---well then, I'd be the first to jump on it.

      For whatever its worth, I agree with you. I prefer to work in Notetab file buffer hidden by ^!SetScreenupdate off. That's what I did in the Perl Regexp Replace clip and also in the clip syntax clips. The syntax clips involve a lot of retrieval from a temporary file buffer.

      I don't know Manuel's reason, but he specifically didn't want to open the document in a Notetab file buffer. Maybe just to see how to go about it.

      I have no evidence as to one method being substantially less resource intensive than the other, but there may be some small savings using ^$GetFileText$ especially for someone who keeps dozens of document tabs open in Notetab. In addition to the file content, Notetab has to keep up with the "tab" if the document is in a buffer.

    • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 24, 2003
        Alan, Sheri,

        I only write clips and know not much of the processing of the code
        behind it. It could be that I'm responsible for that piece of code
        Manuel uses now. And, it could well be that there are much more
        economical ways to achieve the same thing, but what I do know is that
        string-functions are very fast, so I presume they are less processor-
        demanding.

        the variable itself without actually 1. opening the file, 2. setting
        ScreenUpdate Off, 3. locating certain strings in the file and 4.
        storing it in a variable afterwards. You have to 5. keep track of the
        file-tab as well in order to close it;-)

        I don't think there is a big difference for smaller files/projects,
        so the benefit of either method is probably marginal. The nice thing
        about NoteTab is that everyone can do certain things in his/her own
        way.

        I'm not sure if it has to do with your question, but on the Basic
        list Jody wrote recently:

        "NoteTab needs twice as much RAM as the total amount of documents
        it has open, plus it needs some for itself, a number of other
        things like large favorite groups takes up more RAM."

        Regards,

        Hugo

        > Hi Alan
        >
        > >On the other hand, were someone to prove 1 of the 2 methods as
        faster and/or while accomplishing task its useage of 'puters
        resources is significantly enough more economical than the other
        method---well then, I'd be the first to jump on it.

        > For whatever its worth, I agree with you. I prefer to work in
        Notetab file buffer hidden by ^!SetScreenupdate off. That's what I
        did in the Perl Regexp Replace clip and also in the clip syntax
        clips. The syntax clips involve a lot of retrieval from a temporary
        file buffer.

        > I don't know Manuel's reason, but he specifically didn't want to
        open the document in a Notetab file buffer. Maybe just to see how to
        go about it.

        > I have no evidence as to one method being substantially less
        resource intensive than the other, but there may be some small
        savings using ^$GetFileText$ especially for someone who keeps dozens
        of document tabs open in Notetab. In addition to the file content,
        Notetab has to keep up with the "tab" if the document is in a buffer.

        > Regards,
        > Sheri
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 24, 2003
          Hi Hugo,

          >the variable itself without actually 1. opening the file, 2. setting
          >ScreenUpdate Off, 3. locating certain strings in the file and 4.
          >storing it in a variable afterwards. You have to 5. keep track of the
          >file-tab as well in order to close it;-)

          :-) I like to see what others do with NoteTab. Sometimes I can learn things.

          Perhaps it is that we each have our own unique approach as individuals typically do vary somewhat in how they do things which is fine.

          Or, perhaps you're ultimately doing more complex things with the substring data that I'm unaware of and than what I am thinking of. Maybe this is the primary advantage of the 1 technique over the other.

          I am thinking of merely viewing in a doc a desired portion of a file's content then when I'm done I just close that doc, no need to put into variable or keep track of the doc tab.

          For what I am doing or have in mind as my task, the majority of it seem is semantics and/or mute to me. In reference to your 5 above: 1. open file or set entire file content into variable: either way amounts, boils down to something put into memory 2. one line of code 3. var method need locate desired substring; file open method need locate desired substring 4. var method stored into a variable before so what the difference between either before or afterward (and maybe I didn't want it in a var as per next, #5) 5. maybe I just wanted to view a portion of that file's content then close the doc and I've no need to keep track of its doc tab.

          --
          Alan.
        • Manuel123
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
            I've a question. I have in d:\bd\01\ serveral files txt and otl with
            the name of the folder but with _

            Example folder word file _word.txt or _word.otl
            The clip tell me wicht file I want to open. If exist otl open else
            open _word.txt

            But my question, How do I to make automatic list of folder in D:\bd\01
            for information goto variable select

            At this moment I have to write a name of the folder that is new in the
            clip in the line of select element

            Thanks in adavanced.

            ^!ClearVariables

            ^!Set %carpeta%="D:\bd\01\"
            ^!
            ^!Set %select%=^?[(H=14)Selecciona GuiaOtl==Access|asp]

            ;^!continue ^%carpeta%^%select%_^%select%.otl
            ^!IfFileExist "^%carpeta%^%select%\_^%select%.otl" abreOtl ELSE
            abreTxt

            :abreOtl
            ^!OPEN ^%carpeta%^%Select%\_^%select%.otl
            ^!Goto End

            :abreTxt
            ^!OPEN ^%carpeta%^%Select%\_^%select%.txt

            :End

            ---
            Cursos para ciegos
            Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
            ALTAS/BAJAS avisarte cursos en http://www.solotxt.com
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
              Hi Manuel123,

              >But my question, How do I to make automatic list of folder in D:\bd\01
              >for information goto variable select
              >
              >At this moment I have to write a name of the folder that is new in the
              >clip in the line of select element

              ^!ChDir d:\files\
              ^!Set %cmnd%=^?{(T=M)Enter Dos command=tree}
              ^!Toolbar New Document
              ^!InsertText ^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$

              That captures list of folders.

              Caution: ^!ChDir to a folder that does NOT have too too many sub folders under it. Otherwise, well, it's likely that your entire hard drive will output a mile long folder list.

              Folder PATH listing
              Volume serial number is 0006FE80 1DD8:2A2A
              D:.
              ÃÄÄÄunixtut
              ÃÄÄÄntbdocs
              ÃÄÄÄHTML-Format-1.23
              ³ ÃÄÄÄt
              ³ ÀÄÄÄlib
              ³ ÀÄÄÄHTML

              But the dos tree command draws nice lines/branches in console window. Now, how to deal with how it prefaces each line of captured output

              Jody's dirstuff library has a clip to make array from a list.

              Just one idea.

              The clip language has a browse (so as to select a folder).(I know, not all of your folders)
              --
              Alan.
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
                Hi Alan C. & Manuel123,

                I don't know what you might want it for, but the Clip will put the folder
                names and the subs into one array. I like the second one better. <g>

                >>But my question, How do I to make automatic list of folder in D:\bd\01
                >>for information goto variable select

                <--- Copy below this line --->
                H=All Folder Names Array...
                ; eMailed on 02-14-2003, Jody@...
                ; Unshamefully stole and rearranged dos stuff from:
                ; Alan C. <acumming@...> :)
                ; notetab.net, notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                ^!Set %Dir%=^?{(T=D)Enter path to parent folder=C:\Documents and Settings\}
                ^!ChDir ^%Dir%
                ^!Set %cmnd%=tree
                ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                ^!Toolbar New Document
                ^!InsertText ^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$
                ^!Replace " ³" >> "" WAS
                ^!Replace "³ " >> "" WAS
                ^!Replace "ÃÄÄÄ" >> "" WASIT
                ^!Replace "ÀÄÄÄ" >> "" WASIT
                ^!Replace " " >> "" WASIT
                ^!Replace " " >> "" WASIT
                ^!DeleteLine
                ^!DeleteLine
                ^!DeleteLine
                ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                ^!SetArray %FolderList%=^$GetText$
                ^!Close Discard
                ^!Set %Count%=^%FolderList0%
                ^!Set %Index%=0

                ^!Inc %Index%
                ^!Info ^%FolderList^%Index%%>>>>Ctrl+Alt and press OK to abort.
                ^!If ^%Index% = ^%Count% Skip
                ^!Goto Skip_-3

                <--- Copy above this line --->
                <--- Right click over a Library --->
                <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                <--- Copy below this line --->
                H=All Folder Names...
                ; eMailed on 02-14-2003, Jody@...
                ; notetab.net, notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                ^!Set %Dir%=^?{(T=D)Enter path to parent folder=^$GetPath$}
                ^!ChDir ^%Dir%
                ^!Set %cmnd%=tree
                ^!Toolbar New Document
                ^!InsertText ^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$
                ^!Replace " ³" >> " " WAS
                ^!Replace "³ " >> " " WAS
                ^!Replace "ÃÄÄÄ" >> "· " WASIT
                ^!Replace "ÀÄÄÄ" >> "· " WASIT

                <--- Copy above this line --->
                <--- Right click over a Library --->
                <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                http://www.notetab.net

              • Alan C.
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
                  Hi Manuel123, Jody,

                  ÃÄÄÄntbdocs
                  ÃÄÄÄHTML-Format-1.23
                  ³ ÃÄÄÄt
                  ³ ÀÄÄÄlib
                  ³ ÀÄÄÄHTML

                  Well those characters, whatever they are (I don't know what they are-does someone know?), work with NoteTab. Interesting.

                  >>But my question, How do I to make automatic list of folder in D:\bd\01
                  >>for information goto variable select

                  It just donned on me that earlier, I had overlooked the possibility of using the dir command. So, just to mention it; that's all.

                  And, on mine, the dir command does also, in addition to files, it lists the folders but does not list any sub folders like tree does.

                  ^!Set %cmnd%=^?{(T=M)Enter Dos command=dir}

                  07/16/2002 12:05a <DIR> ntbdocs
                  07/16/2002 12:05a <DIR> HTML-Format-1.23
                  11/01/2002 06:43p <DIR> data
                  11/07/2002 10:34p 130 infile2.txt
                  11/08/2002 12:21a 181 test_pl.bak

                  So, be easy to find <DIR> then select after the <DIR> up to end of line and then trim any leading space(s) as well as dump/ditch the . and the .. directory

                  But my motto is if it works don't fix it. Just thought I'd mention the dir, that's all.

                  --
                  Alan.
                • Manuel123
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 15, 2003
                    Well, thanks Alan and Jody I'm studing the idea. I have several
                    folders and a document with info to links to other txt in the same
                    folder. I needed a menu that i select Which folder I want to open.
                    Then open for me a document in the same folder with _ underscore and
                    the same name of the folder

                    Now, thanks for your ideas I get it!!!!!

                    Here it's my solution

                    MenuFolder_doc

                    ;Example. I have a folder d:\bd\01\ideas
                    ;I have a document in folder _ideas.txt
                    ;The clip show me a list of folder
                    ;and open the doc _ideas.txt in folder ideas

                    ^!Set %folder%="d:\bd\01\"

                    ^!ChDir ^%folder%
                    ; /B no muestra encabezados
                    ; /B no show heads only name of folder or documents
                    ^!Set %list1%=^$GetDosOutput(dir ^%folder% /B)$

                    ;Replace ^P with pipe |
                    ^!Set %list2%=^$StrReplace("^P";"|";"^%list1%";True;True)$

                    ;Show Dialog to select folder
                    ^!Set %select%=^?{(H=14)Selecciona GuiaOtl==^%List2%}

                    ;Open in the folder a document with
                    ;the same name of the folder with _before
                    ^!OPEN ^%folder%^%Select%\_^%select%.txt

                    ---