Re: [Clip] Code for Match brackets

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 9, 2003
      Hi Steve,

      >I'm after the code for the match brackets function so I can write
      >specfic add-ons, eg match begin..end, if..else etc, that will work
      >across programmes. For example matching begin..end I would use in
      >Progress and Sql code.

      Hmm, I was look my NoteTab--to get the match bracket button onto the toolbar the need to right clik toolbar, choose properties then scroll to see match bracket toolbar button feature put a check in that box.

      help > help on clip programming > index tab > scroll to near bottom > toolbar commands display it then scroll to near bottom

      ^!Toolbar "Match Bracket"

      above one liner is the clip code equivalent

      I think it's a simple match bracket feature ie place cursor on one bracket clik button finds corresponding matching bracket.

      Sheri offered suggestions for doing more.

      >Also are there any programmes that colorise code like my old Emacs
      >sql coloriser, ie if it finds a comment /* it makes everything up to
      >the close comment */ red etc.

      NoteTab version 5 is to feature syntax highlighting/color

      --
      Alan.
    • John Zeman <john041650@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 10, 2003
        Hi Steve,
        I use the match bracket toolbar command every day. In my situation I use it for html programming, I do not know how it would work in other languages but I can give you an equivalent clip for the way it works in html.

        ^!Find "<" TIBHS
        ^!Select 0
        ^!Set %CurrentLocation%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
        ^!Find ">" TIS
        ^!Select 0
        ^!MoveCursor +1
        ^!SelectTo ^%CurrentLocation%

        In html, the match bracket command selects one tag, either an opening or closing one. I also use another more complex clip that selects the entire html element regardless of what's in between the opening and closing tags.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2003
          Hi Steve,

          I think you should be able to use...

          H=Select between tags
          ; This Clip will select all the text between the type of tag
          ; specified by the user. The search starts from the cursor
          ; position or the beginning of the text

          ...in the Utilities Library under the Internet section as a model
          to write what you need. You could bring up a list of your
          brackets in a combobox in the area that you type the tag in as it
          is now.

          > I'm after the code for the match brackets function so I can
          > write specfic add-ons, eg match begin..end, if..else etc, that
          > will work across programmes. For example matching begin..end I
          > would use in Progress and Sql code.

          http://www.notetab.net

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
            John,
            I was playing with this, trying to get it to work with my annoying missing
            </TD>. I got it to search between the tags --- that wasn't a toughie! :)
            However, it keeps going back to the beginning of the doc. I added a little,
            "do you want to continue" yes/no thing, which it likes, but I cannot get it
            to move through the doc. I'm absolutely unfamiliar with reg expressions,
            usually just taking something from here and trying changes until I can get
            it to do what I want. I seldom know what I've done!
            Can you direct me as to what I'd have to do to go through? I did try it
            with the W instead of B.

            Thanks!
            Christine

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
              You know, Sheri?
              I wish I could figger out what you're talking about. It's like a dialect I
              kind of understand, but the mechanics were never learned. You give me
              motivation! :) 'Cause I need to do this, too. Particularly the variable
              setting part!

              Christine
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
                Hi Christine,

                Maybe this clip will help you. Sorry to hear that its giving you
                difficulty.

                Refer to the comments, as there are two ways to use the clip
                (highlight a whole tag pair, or find a new tag1 before closing tag2
                and go to end of tag if no extra tag1 is found)

                H="SelectNextTagPair"
                ;2003-01-13 by Sheri Pierce
                ^!Jump Select_End
                ^!Set %TagWizChoices%="<TD..</TD>"
                ^!Append %TagWizChoices%="|<Title>..</Title>"
                ;add additional choices with more append lines
                ^!Set=%TagWizChoices%=^$SetDefaultValue(^%TagWizChoices%;^%TagPair%)$
                ^!Set %TagPair%="^?{(T=L)TagPair==^%TagWizChoices%}"
                ^!Set %SplitPos%=^$StrPos("..";"^%TagPair%";No)$
                ^!Set %Tag1%="^$StrCopyLeft("^%TagPair%";^$Calc(^%SplitPos%-1)$)$"
                ;Warning next is long line
                ^!Set %Tag2%="^$StrCopy("^%TagPair%";^$Calc(^%SplitPos%+2)$;^$Calc
                (^$StrSize(^%TagPair%)$-^$StrSize(^%Tag1%)$-2)$)$"
                ^!Find "^%Tag1%" IS
                ^!IfError NotFound1
                ^!Set %Pos%="^$GetRow$:^$GetColStart$"
                ^!Jump Select_End
                ;uncomment this and other commented lines to find new tag1 inside HL
                ;^!Set %Pos%="^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$"
                ^!Find "^%Tag2%" IS
                ^!IfError NotFound2
                ^!Jump Select_End
                ^!Set %PosAfter%="^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$"
                ^!SelectTo ^%Pos%
                ;^!Find "^%Tag1%" HIS
                ;^!Iferror PosAfter
                ;^!Info This "^%Tag1%" was found before a closing "^%Tag2%"
                ^!Goto End
                :NotFound1
                ^!Info Tag1 ^%Tag1% Not Found
                ^!Goto End
                :NotFound1
                ^!Info Tag2 ^%Tag2% Not Found
                ^!Goto End
                :PosAfter
                ^!SetCursor ^%PosAfter%
                ;end of clip
              • John Zeman <john041650@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
                  Sheri I know you aren't very familiar with html so I imagine you wouldn't know this, but elements, especially tables, can be nested inside of one another.. In fact, it's quite common to do so. This creates a problem your clip does not address when searching for matching tags.

                  Christine I have a clip I use every day that I believe would solve your problem. It correctly finds the right closing (or opening) tag in a search regardless of what is nested inside of those tags. However I don't feel free to post it here as it's really Hugo's brainchild. He posted it on one of the boards here last spring and I helped him debug it. In the months since I've refined it a bit more for my own use, but I still regard it as Hugo's clip. If he's reading this and has no objection I'll be happy to post it.

                  John
                • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003

                    > Christine I have a clip I use every day that I believe would solve
                    your problem. It correctly finds the right closing (or opening) tag
                    in a search regardless of what is nested inside of those tags.
                    However I don't feel free to post it here as it's really Hugo's
                    brainchild. He posted it on one of the boards here last spring and I
                    helped him debug it. In the months since I've refined it a bit more
                    for my own use, but I still regard it as Hugo's clip. If he's
                    reading this and has no objection I'll be happy to post it.

                    > John

                    John, (Christine, Sheri,)

                    Obviously not. I don't regard it as my personal belonging, and you
                    did a great job solving the last details. Please post it (I use it as
                    well). I was reluctant to post it because I thought it could be too
                    complicated for the original task Christine wanted to accompish, but
                    the latest posts apparently make it worthwhile sharing it. BTW
                    Christine, the intention of the clip was to find matching tags in a
                    html-document. Some tags however do not have matches necessarily. In
                    any case: if there are tags that do not have a counterpart, the clip
                    will notify you of that.

                    Am curious to see the refinements, John.

                    Hugo
                  • Manuel123
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
                      It's possible find into file if the document is close and get the
                      paraghap where is the word that I find.

                      Example: find manuel in file ideas.txt and get the paragraph.

                      Txt idea
                      Hello, how are you.
                      Manuel live in Spain but he speaks a litle english.
                      Have a nice day!.

                      The result clip would you the second line where is the word Manuel.

                      But mi idea is looking for text between brackes into file.

                      The file would be similar to this

                      Txt idea
                      Hello, how are you.
                      <comment>Manuel live in Spain but he speaks a litle english.</comment>
                      Have a nice day!.

                      Mi idea is looking for into files in a folder.

                      Thankyou very much for your opinion. Good night.
                      ---
                      Cursos para ciegos
                      Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
                      ALTAS/BAJAS avisarte cursos en http://www.solotxt.com
                    • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003

                        > But mi idea is looking for text between brackes into file.
                        >
                        > The file would be similar to this
                        >
                        > Txt idea
                        > Hello, how are you.
                        > <comment>Manuel live in Spain but he speaks a litle
                        english.</comment>
                        > Have a nice day!.
                        >
                        > Mi idea is looking for into files in a folder.

                        Manuel,

                        You could do it along these lines:

                        ^!Set %text%=^$GetFileText("c:\manuel.txt")$
                        ^!Set %starthere%=^$Calc(^$StrPos("<comment>";"^%text%";0)$+9)$
                        ; 9 is added so that <comment> is not included in the output
                        ^!Set %endthere%=^$StrPos("</comment>";"^%text%";0)$
                        ^!Set %amount%=^$Calc(^%endthere%-^%starthere%)$
                        ^!Info ^$StrCopy("^%text";^%starthere%;^%amount%)$

                        First you get the text from disk and put it in a variable. Then you
                        define the amount of the text to be copied from this variable.

                        Hugo
                      • Sheri <silvermoonwoman@comcast.net>
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman <john041650@y...>"
                          <john041650@y...> wrote:
                          > Sheri I know you aren't very familiar with html so I imagine you
                          wouldn't know this, but elements, especially tables, can be nested
                          inside of one another.. In fact, it's quite common to do so. This
                          creates a problem your clip does not address when searching for
                          matching tags.

                          Thanks for the heads up, I can see that with HTML it is also more
                          convenient not to have to specify which tags match, since (I think) a
                          pair can always be found with <word </word>.

                        • Christine
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 13, 2003
                            John, Sheri & Hugo!
                            Thanks!!!

                            I have found over the years that I learn more, faster, when I take code
                            you've all posted here and play with it. Changing stuff, playing with
                            commands, etc.

                            As a matter of fact, that snippet of code the other day for finding
                            brackets? I messed with it and managed to get into such a loop that even
                            when I changed into other programs' windows, such as Word AND Excel, it
                            continued to find and replace. <LOL> I had some serious undoing to do after
                            getting the heck outta that one! Even using task manager was tough, because
                            it was still looping through the programs running under Process! Do I have
                            a talent or what!?

                            I look forward to seeing John/Hugo's code, too. Sheri, I'm going to play
                            with yours.

                            I'm trying to use code as well, to clean up exported credit card bills so I
                            can import them with FAR less work into Quicken. I'd rather correct a .txt
                            file than individual Quicken transactions.

                            As always, thanks for your help!

                            Christine
                          • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 14, 2003
                              > As a matter of fact, that snippet of code the other day for finding
                              > brackets? I messed with it and managed to get into such a loop
                              that even
                              > when I changed into other programs' windows, such as Word AND
                              Excel, it
                              > continued to find and replace. <LOL> I had some serious undoing to

                              Christine,

                              If that ever happens again, just press CTRL+ALT. This will stop the
                              clip.

                              Hugo
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 14, 2003
                                Hi Christine,

                                I haven't been following this thread, but I just thought I'd
                                mention that in the Utilities Library there is a Clip to select
                                between tags. Or at least it says it will. <g>

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 14, 2003
                                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <Christine@E...> wrote:
                                  > Sheri, I'm going to play with yours.

                                  Hi Christine,

                                  You probably already noticed, but there is a typo in my clip, two
                                  labels with the same name ":NotFound1". The second one should have
                                  been ":NotFound2" <g>.

                                  Have fun,
                                  Sheri
                                • Christine
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 14, 2003
                                    Oh, Hugo!

                                    I was slapping Ctrl+C like I was playing drums. You know, the old DOS
                                    stop-the-insanity keyboard control!! Thanks for telling me that. I was
                                    laughing, and screaming at the same time.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 17, 2003
                                      Hi all!

                                      I wanted to thank you for your suggestions and help. I've managed to go
                                      through a bunch of pages and clean them up from errors I didn't know
                                      existed. It's also interesting/embarrassing to see how as one learns more,
                                      how bad older web creation looks! <G>

                                      Jody, where'd you find this puppy you mention below? I'd like to look at
                                      it. I learn from looking at everyone's stuff.
                                      I hope you're hale and healthy?

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 17, 2003
                                        Yup. :)
                                        Thanks!

                                        I like this clip, too. It gives me ideas for other functions I've been
                                        trying to work out. Like cleaning up downloaded Quicken credit card
                                        statements for cleaner importing!

                                        Thanks for your help, as always, Sheri!
                                        C.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 17, 2003
                                          Hi Christine,

                                          >Jody, where'd you find this puppy you mention below? I'd like to look at
                                          >it. I learn from looking at everyone's stuff.

                                          Look in the Utilities clipbook library, in the Internet section "Select
                                          Between Tags".

                                          Julie
                                        • Christine
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 17, 2003
                                            I'm off!
                                            Fun!

                                            Thanks all.
                                            C.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 18, 2003
                                              Hi Christine,

                                              >Jody, where'd you find this puppy you mention below? I'd like to
                                              >look at it. I learn from looking at everyone's stuff. I hope
                                              >you're hale and healthy?

                                              I'm pretty healthy today, thanks, but don't think I'm "hale". :)

                                              hale: American Revolutionary soldier hanged as a spy by the
                                              British; his last words were supposed to have been "I only regret
                                              that I have but one life to give for my country" (1755-1776)

                                              It's under the "Internet" section in the Utilities Library, the
                                              last item.

                                              >I haven't been following this thread, but I just thought I'd
                                              >mention that in the Utilities Library there is a Clip to select
                                              >between tags. Or at least it says it will. <g>
                                              >
                                              >Select between tags

                                              http://www.notetab.net

                                            • Christine
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 18, 2003
                                                At the risk of being moved to NTO, I am fairly certain we're looking at the
                                                old English version of the descriptor "hale." <LOL>
                                                Unless you felt like hanging your self....

                                                I hope not. <LOL>
                                                Christine

                                                >Jody, where'd you find this puppy you mention below? I'd like to
                                                >look at it. I learn from looking at everyone's stuff. I hope
                                                >you're hale and healthy?

                                                I'm pretty healthy today, thanks, but don't think I'm "hale". :)

                                                hale: American Revolutionary soldier hanged as a spy by the
                                                British; his last words were supposed to have been "I only regret
                                                that I have but one life to give for my country" (1755-1776)

                                                <--snip-->

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 20, 2003
                                                  Hi Manuel,

                                                  Try using Search Disk (Ctrl+D). Each file opened should focus at
                                                  the criteria you ask it to find. It could be done with a Clip if
                                                  it is something you do all the time. If not, I would go the
                                                  Search Disk route due to having to load all the files into memory
                                                  to search them if you use a Clip.

                                                  http://www.notetab.net