Proper use ?? of ^!TimerStart

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2002
      Hello,

      In NoteTab's RemindMe clip library, the TimerStart is set so as to trigger itself every 30 seconds.

      ^!TimerStart 30000

      Each 30 second triggering, in turn, initiates the second clip. Clip two then does some checking of conditions and determines whether or not to activate the reminder or send the control back to the original clip number one.

      But, what if all I wanted is just a 5 or 10 or 20 minute reminder? Say to make play a sound file as soon as 20 or whatever I choose minutes has expired.

      ; 20 minutes
      ^!TimerStart 1200000

      ; 1 hour
      ^!TimerStart 3600000

      1. Are there any acceptable limit(s) here?

      2. Is or can a timer clip be a background thing of sorts whereby I also simultaneously also run other clips and do my normal work?

      --
      Thanks. Alan.
    • Sheri <silvermoonwoman@comcast.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2002
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:
        > 1. Are there any acceptable limit(s) here?
        >
        > 2. Is or can a timer clip be a background thing of sorts whereby I
        also simultaneously also run other clips and do my normal work?

        Hi Alan,

        I confess I do not use Timer clips. However, as long as the timer
        clip isn't interfering with your normal work, I don't see why it
        wouldn't be ok to have it running. The few times I tried them I got
        distracting interference on the program's status line.

        The help file says though that a timer clip won't be executed if
        another clip is progress when the time comes. And the clipbook has to
        remain open.

        PowerPro has nice timers which I've used to run scripts. I have on
        occasion used Notetab clips to activate its timers and to send data
        to PowerPro.

      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2002
          Hi Sheri,

          >The few times I tried them I got
          >distracting interference on the program's status line.

          That's why I removed the delay command (on the other clips list thread: timer and closing apps)

          And then I noticed no interference on status bar (except when shot up reminder prompt) but if I just have it play a sound file instead of shoot up a prompt then most likely there wouldn't ever be anything or any interruption on status bar. (or maybe there would ^!Shell d:\mysoundfile.wav) or the ^!sound command if I used that instead.

          >The help file says though that a timer clip won't be executed if
          >another clip is progress when the time comes.

          I didn't understand that part of help. I thought it meant if another clip is currently in progress that, under such condition as that, I can not launch the TimerStart

          Do you mean that if I've already launched the TimerStart that if whenever the reminder/event is supposed to pop up--if I have a different clip running at the moment when pop up is to happen that the pop up will not happen?

          >And the clipbook has to
          >remain open.

          Yes. Can be hidden though.

          >PowerPro has nice timers which I've used to run scripts. I have on
          >occasion used Notetab clips to activate its timers and to send data
          >to PowerPro.

          That's what I's try/attempt to find out via this thread if TimerStart uses a totally separate block/chunk of memory (like as if it was its own separate .exe program--or--if it kinda intermixes/intermingles with other activities that I'm simultaneously doing with NoteTab.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 16, 2002
            Hi Alan,

            I experimented a bit more with the timer and with a simple clip I
            don't have a problem on the status line. However, my mouse pointer
            disappears in Notetab context menus when the time resets. Eg if I
            open a context menu with a 1 second timer going, the mouse pointer
            disappears quicker than if if its a 5 second timer. So, there's
            obviously some degree of impact on normal Notetab operations.

            I guess you only get one timer, because ^!TimerStop stops it. There
            also seems to be no warning if you execute a new ^!TimerPlay without
            meaning to quit the old one. The old one just quits without warning.

            BTW PowerPro has 26 independent timers. It can do a lot of things
            without scripts, but there are some limitations related to use of
            simultaneous scripts.

          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 16, 2002
              (2nd or alternate ini & 2nd instance of NoteTab Pro in conjunction with NoteTab Timer use & background task management is the topic that follows)

              It didn't occur to me until just now. Or I would have shared about this as a possibility sooner.

              But (I just tried it) use of an alternate ini and launched a 2nd instance of NoteTab Pro

              Minimized, in Win 2k, the 2nd NTB only uses near 400 something to 800K of my 'puters memory. That's minimal.

              I had timer going in each instance of NoteTab, bells and whistles going off all over the place. Each timer only impacted its own NoteTab, had no detectable effect whatsoever on the other NoteTab instance.

              I think each NoteTab instance runs in its own memory space just like the different .exe programs on your 'puter whereby you can have more than one up and running at the same time.

              Commandline launch a minimized NoteTab with certain clip also executed for the purpose to manage background task(s) of which Timer might fit within that category. I may write a clip does such for timer, etc. Could even have it launch a Perl script and retrieve over the internet my favorite nntp news group articles at certain time of day via timer.

              One thing about NoteTab: There are lots of possibilities.

              if anyone want to experiment, follows is a 2nd ini file name that I used, then a clip to launch 2nd NTB via that 2nd or alternate ini

              the ini filename:

              ntptimer.ini

              the clip (2 be launched from the normal NTB instance):

              H="Load ntptimer_ini NTB"
              ^!^$GetAppFileName$ /INI=ntptimer
              ; --end clip--

              --