RE: [Clip] Removing attachments from Outlook Express email

  • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
      Hi Dick,

      Although I do not use OE frequently, it is better than Outlook for these
      kind of tasks because of the plain text format of the messages.

      For more information on the internals of OE pay a visit to
      www.tomsterdam.com

      A couple of weeks ago I just wanted to do the opposite from what you are
      trying to achieve. I exported my messages to OE, dragged them into a folder
      and dragged them to UUD32win.exe to just get the attachments out of them.
      Since I still had the original messages in OE I had something available to
      try to write something the other way round. I'd not try to use the Keyboard
      KEYS for this, unless you are really sure what you are doing. And this is
      faster.

      If you're ready (or rather, if the clip is finished), you can simply make a
      new folder in OE and drag the resulting files there. Before you start your
      clip, just drag the .eml files to a folder (default here is
      Desktop/DickGascoigne).

      I used OE 6 for this and it worked. Tweaking may be necessary.

      ^!SetListDelimiter ;
      ^!SetArray
      %EmailFiles%=^$GetFiles("C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\DickGascoigne\";"*.eml";Unsorted
      )$
      ^!Set %NRofFiles%=^%emailfiles0%
      ^!Set %NR%=0
      :LOOP
      ^!Inc %NR%
      ^!If ^%NR%>^%NrofFiles% END
      ^!Set %FileContents%=^$GetFileText("^%emailfiles^%NR%%")$
      ^!Set %breakAt%=^$StrPos("Content-Type: application/";"^%FileContents%";No)$
      ^!IF ^%BreakAT%=0 LOOP
      ^!Set %FileContents%=^$StrCopyLeft("^%FileContents%";^%breakAt%)$
      ^!TextToFile "^%emailfiles^%NR%%" ^%FileContents%
      ^!GoTo LOOP

      Regards,

      Hugo

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
        Here I am again, Dick,

        I opened the resulting .eml files by doubleclicking so I assumed they would
        work (no attachment-indocation in the email itself).
        I just dragged the files to OE to see how they would appear there. There
        still are paperclips in front of the messages in the index (and that would
        have to do with the exact contents of the file stating something about
        multipart/mime etc. If you want to get rid of the paperclip you will need a
        little more processing, I guess,

        Hugo
      • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
          Last time,

          If you remove the last two lines from the resulting emailmessages it appears
          to work correctly (no paperclips). You can automate that as well, obviously.

          This remainder needs to be thrown away as well, but I didn't want to dive
          too deep...

          ------=_NextPart_000_022F_01C27E83.15FFDAE0

          Hugo