Re: [Clip] Removing attachments from Outlook Express email

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
      Hi Dick,

      >Is there any way to get the exported file directly into OE, rather than
      >manually dragging it?

      The next, not directly. But it launch them, the .eml files. I forget what to do after that. been a while since I did it. It gathers, loops, launches each .eml

      I used to launch near 5 to 8 to 10 .eml files then get them back into OE. But not too difficult to get them into OE. I've not a clue if it of benefit to you or not.

      ; notetab document folder path
      ^!Set %Files%=^$GetDocumentPath$
      ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
      ^!SetArray %FileList%=^$GetFiles("+^%Files%";*.eml)$
      ^!SetArray %FileList%=^%FileList%
      ^!Set %Count%=^%FileList0%
      ^!Set %Index%=0
      :Loop
      ^!Inc %Index%
      ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% End
      ^!Shell "^%FileList^%Index%%"
      ^!Delay 5
      ^!Goto Loop
      ; ---end clip

      --
      Alan.
    • Dick Gascoigne
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
        Before I try doing it myself, does anyone have a clip that will remove
        attachments from .eml files from Outlook Express?

        My plan is to drag the message with attachments into a desktop folder
        monitored by NTPro. NTP would grab it, delete any attachments, and store the
        modified email. I would then need to drag it back into OE, and delete the
        original.

        I can probably do the import-delete-export from and to folders (but an
        existing clip would help;-) ).

        Is there any way to get the exported file directly into OE, rather than
        manually dragging it?

        Dick Gascoigne
      • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
          Hi Dick,

          Although I do not use OE frequently, it is better than Outlook for these
          kind of tasks because of the plain text format of the messages.

          For more information on the internals of OE pay a visit to
          www.tomsterdam.com

          A couple of weeks ago I just wanted to do the opposite from what you are
          trying to achieve. I exported my messages to OE, dragged them into a folder
          and dragged them to UUD32win.exe to just get the attachments out of them.
          Since I still had the original messages in OE I had something available to
          try to write something the other way round. I'd not try to use the Keyboard
          KEYS for this, unless you are really sure what you are doing. And this is
          faster.

          If you're ready (or rather, if the clip is finished), you can simply make a
          new folder in OE and drag the resulting files there. Before you start your
          clip, just drag the .eml files to a folder (default here is
          Desktop/DickGascoigne).

          I used OE 6 for this and it worked. Tweaking may be necessary.

          ^!SetListDelimiter ;
          ^!SetArray
          %EmailFiles%=^$GetFiles("C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\DickGascoigne\";"*.eml";Unsorted
          )$
          ^!Set %NRofFiles%=^%emailfiles0%
          ^!Set %NR%=0
          :LOOP
          ^!Inc %NR%
          ^!If ^%NR%>^%NrofFiles% END
          ^!Set %FileContents%=^$GetFileText("^%emailfiles^%NR%%")$
          ^!Set %breakAt%=^$StrPos("Content-Type: application/";"^%FileContents%";No)$
          ^!IF ^%BreakAT%=0 LOOP
          ^!Set %FileContents%=^$StrCopyLeft("^%FileContents%";^%breakAt%)$
          ^!TextToFile "^%emailfiles^%NR%%" ^%FileContents%
          ^!GoTo LOOP

          Regards,

          Hugo

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
            Here I am again, Dick,

            I opened the resulting .eml files by doubleclicking so I assumed they would
            work (no attachment-indocation in the email itself).
            I just dragged the files to OE to see how they would appear there. There
            still are paperclips in front of the messages in the index (and that would
            have to do with the exact contents of the file stating something about
            multipart/mime etc. If you want to get rid of the paperclip you will need a
            little more processing, I guess,

            Hugo
          • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
              Last time,

              If you remove the last two lines from the resulting emailmessages it appears
              to work correctly (no paperclips). You can automate that as well, obviously.

              This remainder needs to be thrown away as well, but I didn't want to dive
              too deep...

              ------=_NextPart_000_022F_01C27E83.15FFDAE0

              Hugo
            • Dick Gascoigne