multi-language support

  • erinntaylor9@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2002
      Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate UTF-8 with Note Tab or Note Tab Light for multi-language support?

      Your help is greatly appreciated!

      Erinn

    • Peter Stagg
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2002
        Whilst NT does not literally support UTF-8 it can be used to edit documents containing UTF-8 encoded text.

        I edit Japanese, Chinese etc. web documents encoded in UTF-8 in NT pro (4.91) all the time. Whilst I can't see the actual characters I can see the code that makes up the characters and more important for me the HTML/PHP etc. code that surrounds the characters. Not seeing the characters is not an issue for me as I use NT the page code in conjunction with other editors (dreamweaver MX) that are fully UTF-8 compliant for editing look-and-feel.

        There is one trick though to tackling these files in NT and that is to change the font of the document window to a mono-spaced font (I uses Fixedsys - very monospaced) otherwise selecting text can be a very strange affair. Beyond this I use NT as normal I even find and replace using regular expressions here for example is an expression that will find any simplified Chinese character encoded in UTF-8 (This will look scrambled and some characters may not appear but it actually works - it finds each of the single bites that make up the three bite UTF-8 code for the single Chinese character and then groups of these three bite characters).