regular expressions and fixing braille files

  • dean martineau
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2002
      I want to fix up some formatted braille files. I want to make three
      changes. I'm sure I can do them with regular expressions. Unfortunately,
      the help file isn't quite written simply enough for me to understand. All
      my efforts thus far have not done what I want them to do. Here are the
      three tasks:

      1. Some lines end with a string consisting of two or more spaces, followed
      by a number sign, followed by one to three letters. I want to delete those
      entire strings where they exist.

      2. Some lines begin with two or more spaces, then contain strings of
      letters, numbers and other ASCII characters. Those lines should stay
      intact. The majority of lines begin with some non-space character, and for
      those lines, the new line indicator needs to be changed into a space.

      3. All spaces need to be stripped from the beginning of lines so that all
      lines begin with non-space characters.

      I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

      Thanks in advance.

      Dean Martineau
      For the Baha'i Perspectives Radio Archive: <http://www.bahai-perspectives.org>
      For information about Sound Computing magazine or Top Dot tutorials:
      <http://www.sound-computing.com>