[Clip] Re: url then find email ...

  • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
      On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:16:20 -0500 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
      > Hi Larry and Bong,
      >
      > How do you know when you are a NoteTab junkie?

      When you stay up until the sun starts to rise trying to get a clip to
      work....

      Jodie & I have a joke about starting CPA - Clip Programmers Anonymous.

      Hi, My Name's Larry and I am a NoteTab junkie. ;)

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

    • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
        On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:54:06 +0300 "BONG" <bong@...> writes:
        > What's the public opinion: is the clip language easy?
        >
        > BONG

        I find it to be much easier than it at first appears. Some things I first
        tried to do with clips were like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg. It
        works but takes a lot of energy to do it right.

        Many of my first clips that I asked for help on went from twenty plus
        lines to under ten, from suggestions on the list.

        Once you get the hang of it, it starts to make sense. You just have to
        play with it.

        Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
        http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
        My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
          David Seidman wrote:
          > If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
          > Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are better
          > qualified than I am to claim the title.

          Fortunately, we all have our little project to go, so a good big perl
          library is up to you to make ;))

          Nicole

          --
          »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
          enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
            At 02:42 AM 8/3/1999 -0500, Jody wrote:

            >And scripts save me the trouble of learning perl. I find
            >perl/gawk a lot harder than NoteTab's scripting.

            Perl is big, messy, complicated, and extremely powerful. I pretty much
            restrict myself to a fairly small subset of what was available in version
            3. I really don't even try to understand the things that differentiate
            version 5 from version 4.

            Awk, on the other hand, is pretty small, orders of magnitude less
            complicated, and a good deal less powerful (Gawk adds a little bit to awk,
            but not really anything you have to worry about, although one or two of the
            added functions are extremely handy). The whole thing is set out and
            explained in one 45-page chapter of The Awk Programming Language, by Aho,
            Kernighan, and Weinberger (a book which I would recommend highly to anyone
            interested in computer programming). I doubt you would find it a lot
            harder than NoteTab's scripting if you spent a few hours with the book.
            Not that I'm recommending that you do -- if you can do what you want in
            NoteTab scripting, you don't need awk.
          • David Seidman
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
              At 10:38 AM 8/3/1999 +0200, Nicole Simon wrote:

              >Fortunately, we all have our little project to go, so a good big perl
              >library is up to you to make ;))

              But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?
            • Nicole Simon
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 4, 1999
                David Seidman wrote:
                > But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?

                Nope. A library for _writing_ perlscripts is not that complicated ;o)
                Take my awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl would be a good start ;o)
                (I have a newer version on my harddisk)

                A typical entry from my 'awk special' library goes like this:
                d. comma --> d. point
                sub(",", ".", ^?[variable]) ^?[With comment ==_No^=|Yes^=#
                replaces decimal comma with point]

                awk_f for function:
                for
                for(^?[initialization=i=1];^?[condition=i<=];^?[increment=i++]) {
                ^&
                } # for (^?[initialization];^?[condition];^?[increment])

                awk_v for variables
                ARGV command-line arguments
                # ARGV is indexed from zero to ARGC - 1
                ARGV

                You see, a little timesaving, a litte lookup and a little helpfile.
                :o)

                Nicole

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 4, 1999
                  At 03:33 PM 8/4/1999 +0200, Nicole Simon wrote:
                  >David Seidman wrote:
                  >> But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?
                  >
                  >Nope. A library for _writing_ perlscripts is not that complicated ;o)

                  "Nope," she says, but "Yes" she means. Yes, I would have to learn more of
                  the clip language than I've ever used before, but no, I would not have to
                  learn the whole thing.

                  >Take my awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl would be a good start ;o)

                  But Michael E. Schechter's Perl_clb.Zip already exists. Do you not think
                  that is useful?

                  >(I have a newer version on my harddisk)

                  Then that is the version that should be on Eric's web site. Surely when
                  you tell me to take your awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl, I should
                  be using the newest version of your awk.clbs.
                • Nicole Simon
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 5, 1999
                    David Seidman wrote:
                    > "Nope," she says, but "Yes" she means. Yes, I would have to learn more of
                    > the clip language than I've ever used before, but no, I would not have to
                    > learn the whole thing.

                    The parts you could use are _really_ basic clip language. If you want to
                    see a real big clip, take a look at Wayne's Projectmanager - but be
                    carefull, it is very strucured and good programmed ;o)

                    > But Michael E. Schechter's Perl_clb.Zip already exists. Do you not think
                    > that is useful?

                    No. The last time I saw this he had 5 or more librarys with different parts
                    - this is way to much. Like the special char library: Yes, you can have one
                    whole library for it but you can also put this in one clip.

                    > Then that is the version that should be on Eric's web site. Surely when

                    Yes and no.

                    The newer one I am using has some 'special' gawk function, little
                    snipplets, special things which _I_ need but no one else and, another big
                    problem:

                    NR display
                    if(NR % ^?[In welchen Abständen Zeilen zählen?=100] == 0) { #
                    Lebenszeichen geben
                    printf "\rVerarbeitete Zeilen: " NR
                    }

                    They are mostly in german.

                    The _basic_ set is complete with all most needed functions and variables.
                    But I need time to seperate the 'unwanted' special-Nicole-in-german clips
                    out of it. If you just have a look at it's okay. But not for the library.

                    I don't have the time to translate it proper and I never had any real
                    feedback (add this, correct that) that someone uses them really ;o)

                    But, they are a good base for other languages. :o)

                    Nicole