Re: [Clip] Re: ^# , ^* and ^**

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hey Sheri,

      > > A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help
      > > apparently cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in
      > > the "regular" Notetab Help file, probably a a holdover
      > > from the days that there was just one help file.
      >
      >hehehe hey Julie, look back in that February file and see...

      Sneaky is right... the CHM files seem to work like HTML frames, you pop to
      a different Help file and don't even realize it, but at least with the old
      HLP version the program name changes in the title bar when you click the
      hyperlink!

      >Sheri (who only recently discovered the document codes)

      Like I said, I can never remember when to use what so a ctrl+D in the
      Libraries directory showed me good examples :-).

      Julie
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi Sheri,

        >That clip works through Internet Explorer to capture each expanded
        >page of 100 messages to a text file (does File|Save As etc) on each
        >page. Someone on the powerpro list said it worked better on dialup to
        >feed the http addresses to a download manager. A few different ones
        >were mentioned, does Flashget ring a bell?

        Last (free) download manager I used was full of spyware and I haven't tried
        one since <G>. Wouldn't be hard to load ten pages at a time in a tabbed
        browser and automate saving them as text files.

        >Here's a clip that captures all the http addresses.

        Thanks!

        >Are you after archives for notetab, ntb-clips or ntb-NextRelease? If
        >so, I'll try to get mine organized and post them to the files areas.

        Personally, I do a lot of searching through the ntb-clips list, and could
        make good use of the offline archive. I know Jody is interested in
        archives of the lists in the event Yahoo decreases storage space suddenly
        and we lose these archives. I'm sure a lot of folks might be interested in
        what you've already archived.

        Are you leaving them in a text format, or doing something else with the
        downloaded archives?

        Julie
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., Dan McCullough <DanM@N...> wrote:
          > I was searching for the new menu clip command in help but
          > came up empty. Is it not in help yet?

          Your question reminded me of a clip of wrote a short time ago,
          but forgot to post to the group. It is an alternative to the
          Menu clip contained in the Clip Assistant.

          20Clip.zip

          [I am a bit upset at the Yahoo software for not letting me
          preview/edit the notification message after I uploaded the file.
          I was hoping to make it and this message just one message.]

          To use it, just double click items in the listbox until you find
          the item you want.

          I believe my version has several advantages over the clip
          currently in the clip assistant.

          * Data is separate from the main clip. This makes it very easy
          to update data to fix any errors, or to accomodate changes in
          future NoteTab versions.

          * Makes it clear which options open a deeper menu, and which
          refer to menu commands that cause dialog boxes.

          * My clip works very well from the clipbar.

          * Uses just listboxes, opened to correct size. (I do not know
          why the clip in the clip assistant's clip uses so many combo boxes.
          They are inefficient in such a context.)

          * Clip is logically structured and fully commented. This makes
          it good for study by those trying to learn the clip language.
          (Though since most of the activity of the clip involves reading
          data from the second clip and making it into a listbox - it is
          not necessarily an easy clip to follow or the most interesting to
          study.)
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
            Julie, Sheri:

            Sheri wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 19:44 [GMT-0500]):
            > Hi Alec,
            >> --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
            >> Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# ,
            >> ^* and ^** uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM
            >> search / indexing seems to make it impossible to find
            >> these directly - and for some reason every time I think
            >> I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
            >> I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(
            >>
            > AFAIK, only in the main Notetab help under Clip Basics.

            Julie: I took your suggestion and put in Favorites for ClipBasics and
            Custom Functions with a title to remind me that this is where the
            definitions for ^& ^? ^* and ^** are. Hopefully the next time I need one
            of them, I'll remember I stashed the link in Favorites ;-)

            >> btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers)
            >> expressed interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo
            >> message archives so they could be searched better.
            >>
            >> I passed him this link:
            >> (which I captured in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall,
            >> was this the final "best" version?
            >
            > That was the latest, but we could certainly add some
            > wizard-prompting for variables to make it a bit easier to use.

            Julie - I see Sheri reposted (a modified version) to this list. The link
            I gave you would have taken you to her post in the PowerPro list.

            >> I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a)
            >> get noteab and then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips"
            >> lists.
            >
            > The more the merrier <g>
            >
            > What's an elist?
            emaillist-managers ยท Email List Managers
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emaillist-managers/

            I think I was accidentally inventing my own abbreviation. Its "code" is
            [EL-M] hence (I thought) eList. (I think Julie hangs out there)

            Regards ... Alec
            --
            -------------------------
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
              Wayne:

              > [I am a bit upset at the Yahoo software for not letting me
              > preview/edit the notification message after I uploaded the file.
              > I was hoping to make it and this message just one message.]

              What I usually do is say [No message to group]. then [copy URL] of the
              posted file and include the URL in an explanatory post to the group.

              Regards ... Alec
              --
              -------------------------

              Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 21:39 [GMT-0500]):
              > --- In ntb-clips@y..., Dan McCullough <DanM@N...> wrote:
              <snip>
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                Hi Alec,

                >Julie: I took your suggestion and put in Favorites for ClipBasics and
                >Custom Functions with a title to remind me that this is where the
                >definitions for ^& ^? ^* and ^** are. Hopefully the next time I need one
                >of them, I'll remember I stashed the link in Favorites ;-)

                My only other Favorites topic is Regular Expressions, but even putting it
                in there doesn't help me. LOL

                >Julie - I see Sheri reposted (a modified version) to this list. The link
                >I gave you would have taken you to her post in the PowerPro list.

                Actually the clip she posted created a list of links, but wasn't an actual
                clip to save the pages. I didn't think at the time the PowerPro archives
                were open, but I've since clicked on the link she posted and saw the clip.

                >I think I was accidentally inventing my own abbreviation. Its "code" is
                >[EL-M] hence (I thought) eList. (I think Julie hangs out there)

                I look at three of those lists from the web to get an idea of the way
                Yahoo's going with YahooGroups. I find it amusing how upset people get;
                afterall it is a free service. (I do realize the time people invest in
                lists; afterall I have moved mine to a different server <G>.)

                Julie