Re: [Clip] Re: menu clip command

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
      Jody, Sheri

      Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# , ^* and ^**
      uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM search / indexing seems
      to make it impossible to find these directly - and for some reason every
      time I think I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
      I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(

      btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers) expressed
      interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo message archives so they
      could be searched better.

      I passed him this link:
      in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall, was this the final "best"
      version?

      I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a) get noteab and
      then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips" lists.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      -------------------------

      Jody wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 16:12 [GMT-0500]):
      > Hi Sheri and Dan,
      >
      > To add to what Sheri mentioned, NoteTab's commands and functions
      > are all listed now under the Index tab in Help on Clipbook
      > Programming. Prefix the command and functions with ^! or ^$
      > respectively. Type in ^!m to get real close to ^!Menu ;)
      >
      > As always Sheri, thanks much for your activeness on the lists!
      >
      >>> I was searching for the new menu clip command in help but came
      >>> up empty. Is it not in help yet?
      >

      > Happy Clip'n!
      > Jody
      >
      > http://www.notetab.net
      >
      > Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      > mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • Julie
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi Alec,

        >Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# , ^* and ^**
        >uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM search / indexing seems
        >to make it impossible to find these directly - and for some reason every
        >time I think I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
        >I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(

        After much research ~whew~, I discovered it in the Clip Basics topic, *but*
        for some reason it ain't listed under Contents, Index, or even when I did a
        search. I found a hyperlink to it in the Custom Functions topic. I think
        I'm going to put that under Favorites, because when I'm trying to figure
        out when to use what, I invariably do a disk find in all my libraries to
        look at different usage :-).

        Does this work with dial up? And could you send me a copy of this clip to
        try, pretty please :-)?

        thanks,
        Julie
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
          (Answering myself and making the subject a little more agreeable...)

          >After much research ~whew~, I discovered it in the Clip Basics topic, *but*
          >for some reason it ain't listed under Contents, Index, or even when I did a
          >search. I found a hyperlink to it in the Custom Functions topic. I think
          >I'm going to put that under Favorites, because when I'm trying to figure
          >out when to use what, I invariably do a disk find in all my libraries to
          >look at different usage :-).

          A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help apparently
          cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in the "regular" Notetab Help
          file, probably a a holdover from the days that there was just one help
          file. It would be nice to have it as a directly accessed topic in Clip Help
          ~hint hint~.

          Julie (who figured this out by clicking next several times and getting to
          the Editor Shortcut Menus
          topic and realizing that had nothing to do with clips!)
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
            Hi Alec,
            > --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
            > Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# ,
            > ^* and ^** uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM
            > search / indexing seems to make it impossible to find
            > these directly - and for some reason every time I think
            > I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
            > I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(

            AFAIK, only in the main Notetab help under Clip Basics.

            > btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers)
            > expressed interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo
            > message archives so they could be searched better.
            >
            > I passed him this link:
            > (which I captured in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall,
            > was this the final "best" version?

            That was the latest, but we could certainly add some
            wizard-prompting for variables to make it a bit easier to use.

            > I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a)
            > get noteab and then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips"
            > lists.

            The more the merrier <g>

            What's an elist?

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
              --- In ntb-clips@y..., Julie <jlg61@m...> wrote:
              > A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help
              > apparently cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in
              > the "regular" Notetab Help file, probably a a holdover
              > from the days that there was just one help file.

              hehehe hey Julie, look back in that February file and see...

              Sneakily,
              Sheri (who only recently discovered the document codes)
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                --- In ntb-clips@y..., Julie <jlg61@m...> wrote:
                > Does this work with dial up? And could you send me a copy of this
                > clip to try, pretty please :-)?

                That clip works through Internet Explorer to capture each expanded
                page of 100 messages to a text file (does File|Save As etc) on each
                page. Someone on the powerpro list said it worked better on dialup to
                feed the http addresses to a download manager. A few different ones
                were mentioned, does Flashget ring a bell?

                Here's a clip that captures all the http addresses.

                Are you after archives for notetab, ntb-clips or ntb-NextRelease? If
                so, I'll try to get mine organized and post them to the files areas.

                CapYahoo https
                ;11/04/2002 by Sheri Pierce
                ^!Menu File/New
                ^!SetWordWrap Off
                ;warning, next is a long line
                ^!Set %group%=^?{Enter name of Yahoo group};%StartNbr%=^?{Enter
                Starting Nbr};%EndingNbr%=^?{Enter Ending Nbr}
                ^!Set %Preaddy%="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/^%group%/messages/"
                ^!Set %NextMsg%=^%StartNbr%
                :Start
                ^!If ^%NextMsg%>^%EndingNbr% Exit
                ^!Set %AddySuffix%="^%NextMsg%?viscount=100&expand=1"
                ^!SetPasteIndent Off
                ^!InsertText ^%Preaddy%^%AddySuffix%^p
                ^!Inc %NextMsg% 100
                ^!Goto Start
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                  Hey Sheri,

                  > > A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help
                  > > apparently cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in
                  > > the "regular" Notetab Help file, probably a a holdover
                  > > from the days that there was just one help file.
                  >
                  >hehehe hey Julie, look back in that February file and see...

                  Sneaky is right... the CHM files seem to work like HTML frames, you pop to
                  a different Help file and don't even realize it, but at least with the old
                  HLP version the program name changes in the title bar when you click the
                  hyperlink!

                  >Sheri (who only recently discovered the document codes)

                  Like I said, I can never remember when to use what so a ctrl+D in the
                  Libraries directory showed me good examples :-).

                  Julie
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                    Hi Sheri,

                    >That clip works through Internet Explorer to capture each expanded
                    >page of 100 messages to a text file (does File|Save As etc) on each
                    >page. Someone on the powerpro list said it worked better on dialup to
                    >feed the http addresses to a download manager. A few different ones
                    >were mentioned, does Flashget ring a bell?

                    Last (free) download manager I used was full of spyware and I haven't tried
                    one since <G>. Wouldn't be hard to load ten pages at a time in a tabbed
                    browser and automate saving them as text files.

                    >Here's a clip that captures all the http addresses.

                    Thanks!

                    >Are you after archives for notetab, ntb-clips or ntb-NextRelease? If
                    >so, I'll try to get mine organized and post them to the files areas.

                    Personally, I do a lot of searching through the ntb-clips list, and could
                    make good use of the offline archive. I know Jody is interested in
                    archives of the lists in the event Yahoo decreases storage space suddenly
                    and we lose these archives. I'm sure a lot of folks might be interested in
                    what you've already archived.

                    Are you leaving them in a text format, or doing something else with the
                    downloaded archives?

                    Julie
                  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                      --- In ntb-clips@y..., Dan McCullough <DanM@N...> wrote:
                      > I was searching for the new menu clip command in help but
                      > came up empty. Is it not in help yet?

                      Your question reminded me of a clip of wrote a short time ago,
                      but forgot to post to the group. It is an alternative to the
                      Menu clip contained in the Clip Assistant.

                      20Clip.zip

                      [I am a bit upset at the Yahoo software for not letting me
                      preview/edit the notification message after I uploaded the file.
                      I was hoping to make it and this message just one message.]

                      To use it, just double click items in the listbox until you find
                      the item you want.

                      I believe my version has several advantages over the clip
                      currently in the clip assistant.

                      * Data is separate from the main clip. This makes it very easy
                      to update data to fix any errors, or to accomodate changes in
                      future NoteTab versions.

                      * Makes it clear which options open a deeper menu, and which
                      refer to menu commands that cause dialog boxes.

                      * My clip works very well from the clipbar.

                      * Uses just listboxes, opened to correct size. (I do not know
                      why the clip in the clip assistant's clip uses so many combo boxes.
                      They are inefficient in such a context.)

                      * Clip is logically structured and fully commented. This makes
                      it good for study by those trying to learn the clip language.
                      (Though since most of the activity of the clip involves reading
                      data from the second clip and making it into a listbox - it is
                      not necessarily an easy clip to follow or the most interesting to
                      study.)
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                        Julie, Sheri:

                        Sheri wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 19:44 [GMT-0500]):
                        > Hi Alec,
                        >> --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
                        >> Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# ,
                        >> ^* and ^** uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM
                        >> search / indexing seems to make it impossible to find
                        >> these directly - and for some reason every time I think
                        >> I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
                        >> I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(
                        >>
                        > AFAIK, only in the main Notetab help under Clip Basics.

                        Julie: I took your suggestion and put in Favorites for ClipBasics and
                        Custom Functions with a title to remind me that this is where the
                        definitions for ^& ^? ^* and ^** are. Hopefully the next time I need one
                        of them, I'll remember I stashed the link in Favorites ;-)

                        >> btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers)
                        >> expressed interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo
                        >> message archives so they could be searched better.
                        >>
                        >> I passed him this link:
                        >> (which I captured in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall,
                        >> was this the final "best" version?
                        >
                        > That was the latest, but we could certainly add some
                        > wizard-prompting for variables to make it a bit easier to use.

                        Julie - I see Sheri reposted (a modified version) to this list. The link
                        I gave you would have taken you to her post in the PowerPro list.

                        >> I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a)
                        >> get noteab and then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips"
                        >> lists.
                        >
                        > The more the merrier <g>
                        >
                        > What's an elist?
                        emaillist-managers ยท Email List Managers
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emaillist-managers/

                        I think I was accidentally inventing my own abbreviation. Its "code" is
                        [EL-M] hence (I thought) eList. (I think Julie hangs out there)

                        Regards ... Alec
                        --
                        -------------------------
                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                          Wayne:

                          > [I am a bit upset at the Yahoo software for not letting me
                          > preview/edit the notification message after I uploaded the file.
                          > I was hoping to make it and this message just one message.]

                          What I usually do is say [No message to group]. then [copy URL] of the
                          posted file and include the URL in an explanatory post to the group.

                          Regards ... Alec
                          --
                          -------------------------

                          Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 21:39 [GMT-0500]):
                          > --- In ntb-clips@y..., Dan McCullough <DanM@N...> wrote:
                          <snip>
                        • Julie
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                            Hi Alec,

                            >Julie: I took your suggestion and put in Favorites for ClipBasics and
                            >Custom Functions with a title to remind me that this is where the
                            >definitions for ^& ^? ^* and ^** are. Hopefully the next time I need one
                            >of them, I'll remember I stashed the link in Favorites ;-)

                            My only other Favorites topic is Regular Expressions, but even putting it
                            in there doesn't help me. LOL

                            >Julie - I see Sheri reposted (a modified version) to this list. The link
                            >I gave you would have taken you to her post in the PowerPro list.

                            Actually the clip she posted created a list of links, but wasn't an actual
                            clip to save the pages. I didn't think at the time the PowerPro archives
                            were open, but I've since clicked on the link she posted and saw the clip.

                            >I think I was accidentally inventing my own abbreviation. Its "code" is
                            >[EL-M] hence (I thought) eList. (I think Julie hangs out there)

                            I look at three of those lists from the web to get an idea of the way
                            Yahoo's going with YahooGroups. I find it amusing how upset people get;
                            afterall it is a free service. (I do realize the time people invest in
                            lists; afterall I have moved mine to a different server <G>.)

                            Julie