RE: [Clip] Re: menu clip command

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi Dan,

      Possibly you might be looking in the older *.hlp vs the newer *.chm version
      of the Help file? Look in your NoteTab main directory, open the
      ClipCode.chm file, and look in the index for ^!Menu.

      Julie
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
        Jody, Sheri

        Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# , ^* and ^**
        uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM search / indexing seems
        to make it impossible to find these directly - and for some reason every
        time I think I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
        I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(

        btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers) expressed
        interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo message archives so they
        could be searched better.

        I passed him this link:
        in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall, was this the final "best"
        version?

        I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a) get noteab and
        then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips" lists.

        Regards ... Alec
        --
        -------------------------

        Jody wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 16:12 [GMT-0500]):
        > Hi Sheri and Dan,
        >
        > To add to what Sheri mentioned, NoteTab's commands and functions
        > are all listed now under the Index tab in Help on Clipbook
        > Programming. Prefix the command and functions with ^! or ^$
        > respectively. Type in ^!m to get real close to ^!Menu ;)
        >
        > As always Sheri, thanks much for your activeness on the lists!
        >
        >>> I was searching for the new menu clip command in help but came
        >>> up empty. Is it not in help yet?
        >

        > Happy Clip'n!
        > Jody
        >
        > http://www.notetab.net
        >
        > Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        > mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Julie
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
          Hi Alec,

          >Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# , ^* and ^**
          >uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM search / indexing seems
          >to make it impossible to find these directly - and for some reason every
          >time I think I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
          >I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(

          After much research ~whew~, I discovered it in the Clip Basics topic, *but*
          for some reason it ain't listed under Contents, Index, or even when I did a
          search. I found a hyperlink to it in the Custom Functions topic. I think
          I'm going to put that under Favorites, because when I'm trying to figure
          out when to use what, I invariably do a disk find in all my libraries to
          look at different usage :-).

          Does this work with dial up? And could you send me a copy of this clip to
          try, pretty please :-)?

          thanks,
          Julie
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
            (Answering myself and making the subject a little more agreeable...)

            >After much research ~whew~, I discovered it in the Clip Basics topic, *but*
            >for some reason it ain't listed under Contents, Index, or even when I did a
            >search. I found a hyperlink to it in the Custom Functions topic. I think
            >I'm going to put that under Favorites, because when I'm trying to figure
            >out when to use what, I invariably do a disk find in all my libraries to
            >look at different usage :-).

            A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help apparently
            cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in the "regular" Notetab Help
            file, probably a a holdover from the days that there was just one help
            file. It would be nice to have it as a directly accessed topic in Clip Help
            ~hint hint~.

            Julie (who figured this out by clicking next several times and getting to
            the Editor Shortcut Menus
            topic and realizing that had nothing to do with clips!)
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
              Hi Alec,
              > --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
              > Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# ,
              > ^* and ^** uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM
              > search / indexing seems to make it impossible to find
              > these directly - and for some reason every time I think
              > I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
              > I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(

              AFAIK, only in the main Notetab help under Clip Basics.

              > btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers)
              > expressed interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo
              > message archives so they could be searched better.
              >
              > I passed him this link:
              > (which I captured in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall,
              > was this the final "best" version?

              That was the latest, but we could certainly add some
              wizard-prompting for variables to make it a bit easier to use.

              > I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a)
              > get noteab and then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips"
              > lists.

              The more the merrier <g>

              What's an elist?

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                --- In ntb-clips@y..., Julie <jlg61@m...> wrote:
                > A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help
                > apparently cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in
                > the "regular" Notetab Help file, probably a a holdover
                > from the days that there was just one help file.

                hehehe hey Julie, look back in that February file and see...

                Sneakily,
                Sheri (who only recently discovered the document codes)
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                  --- In ntb-clips@y..., Julie <jlg61@m...> wrote:
                  > Does this work with dial up? And could you send me a copy of this
                  > clip to try, pretty please :-)?

                  That clip works through Internet Explorer to capture each expanded
                  page of 100 messages to a text file (does File|Save As etc) on each
                  page. Someone on the powerpro list said it worked better on dialup to
                  feed the http addresses to a download manager. A few different ones
                  were mentioned, does Flashget ring a bell?

                  Here's a clip that captures all the http addresses.

                  Are you after archives for notetab, ntb-clips or ntb-NextRelease? If
                  so, I'll try to get mine organized and post them to the files areas.

                  CapYahoo https
                  ;11/04/2002 by Sheri Pierce
                  ^!Menu File/New
                  ^!SetWordWrap Off
                  ;warning, next is a long line
                  ^!Set %group%=^?{Enter name of Yahoo group};%StartNbr%=^?{Enter
                  Starting Nbr};%EndingNbr%=^?{Enter Ending Nbr}
                  ^!Set %Preaddy%="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/^%group%/messages/"
                  ^!Set %NextMsg%=^%StartNbr%
                  :Start
                  ^!If ^%NextMsg%>^%EndingNbr% Exit
                  ^!Set %AddySuffix%="^%NextMsg%?viscount=100&expand=1"
                  ^!SetPasteIndent Off
                  ^!InsertText ^%Preaddy%^%AddySuffix%^p
                  ^!Inc %NextMsg% 100
                  ^!Goto Start
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                    Hey Sheri,

                    > > A little more research on this shows that the Clip Help
                    > > apparently cross-references the Clip Basics topic back in
                    > > the "regular" Notetab Help file, probably a a holdover
                    > > from the days that there was just one help file.
                    >
                    >hehehe hey Julie, look back in that February file and see...

                    Sneaky is right... the CHM files seem to work like HTML frames, you pop to
                    a different Help file and don't even realize it, but at least with the old
                    HLP version the program name changes in the title bar when you click the
                    hyperlink!

                    >Sheri (who only recently discovered the document codes)

                    Like I said, I can never remember when to use what so a ctrl+D in the
                    Libraries directory showed me good examples :-).

                    Julie
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                      Hi Sheri,

                      >That clip works through Internet Explorer to capture each expanded
                      >page of 100 messages to a text file (does File|Save As etc) on each
                      >page. Someone on the powerpro list said it worked better on dialup to
                      >feed the http addresses to a download manager. A few different ones
                      >were mentioned, does Flashget ring a bell?

                      Last (free) download manager I used was full of spyware and I haven't tried
                      one since <G>. Wouldn't be hard to load ten pages at a time in a tabbed
                      browser and automate saving them as text files.

                      >Here's a clip that captures all the http addresses.

                      Thanks!

                      >Are you after archives for notetab, ntb-clips or ntb-NextRelease? If
                      >so, I'll try to get mine organized and post them to the files areas.

                      Personally, I do a lot of searching through the ntb-clips list, and could
                      make good use of the offline archive. I know Jody is interested in
                      archives of the lists in the event Yahoo decreases storage space suddenly
                      and we lose these archives. I'm sure a lot of folks might be interested in
                      what you've already archived.

                      Are you leaving them in a text format, or doing something else with the
                      downloaded archives?

                      Julie
                    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                        --- In ntb-clips@y..., Dan McCullough <DanM@N...> wrote:
                        > I was searching for the new menu clip command in help but
                        > came up empty. Is it not in help yet?

                        Your question reminded me of a clip of wrote a short time ago,
                        but forgot to post to the group. It is an alternative to the
                        Menu clip contained in the Clip Assistant.

                        20Clip.zip

                        [I am a bit upset at the Yahoo software for not letting me
                        preview/edit the notification message after I uploaded the file.
                        I was hoping to make it and this message just one message.]

                        To use it, just double click items in the listbox until you find
                        the item you want.

                        I believe my version has several advantages over the clip
                        currently in the clip assistant.

                        * Data is separate from the main clip. This makes it very easy
                        to update data to fix any errors, or to accomodate changes in
                        future NoteTab versions.

                        * Makes it clear which options open a deeper menu, and which
                        refer to menu commands that cause dialog boxes.

                        * My clip works very well from the clipbar.

                        * Uses just listboxes, opened to correct size. (I do not know
                        why the clip in the clip assistant's clip uses so many combo boxes.
                        They are inefficient in such a context.)

                        * Clip is logically structured and fully commented. This makes
                        it good for study by those trying to learn the clip language.
                        (Though since most of the activity of the clip involves reading
                        data from the second clip and making it into a listbox - it is
                        not necessarily an easy clip to follow or the most interesting to
                        study.)
                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                          Julie, Sheri:

                          Sheri wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 19:44 [GMT-0500]):
                          > Hi Alec,
                          >> --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
                          >> Is there a specific single place (or places) where the ^# ,
                          >> ^* and ^** uses are documented. Some limitation in the CHM
                          >> search / indexing seems to make it impossible to find
                          >> these directly - and for some reason every time I think
                          >> I've got them memorized, by the next time I look for them
                          >> I've forgotten which is which and how they function ;-(
                          >>
                          > AFAIK, only in the main Notetab help under Clip Basics.

                          Julie: I took your suggestion and put in Favorites for ClipBasics and
                          Custom Functions with a title to remind me that this is where the
                          definitions for ^& ^? ^* and ^** are. Hopefully the next time I need one
                          of them, I'll remember I stashed the link in Favorites ;-)

                          >> btw: Sheri - someone on the [EL-M] group (elist managers)
                          >> expressed interest in your clip(s) to download yahoo
                          >> message archives so they could be searched better.
                          >>
                          >> I passed him this link:
                          >> (which I captured in my neat-stuff folder). If you recall,
                          >> was this the final "best" version?
                          >
                          > That was the latest, but we could certainly add some
                          > wizard-prompting for variables to make it a bit easier to use.

                          Julie - I see Sheri reposted (a modified version) to this list. The link
                          I gave you would have taken you to her post in the PowerPro list.

                          >> I suggested that the person who asked might want to (a)
                          >> get noteab and then (b) join "notetab" or "ntb-clips"
                          >> lists.
                          >
                          > The more the merrier <g>
                          >
                          > What's an elist?
                          emaillist-managers ยท Email List Managers
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emaillist-managers/

                          I think I was accidentally inventing my own abbreviation. Its "code" is
                          [EL-M] hence (I thought) eList. (I think Julie hangs out there)

                          Regards ... Alec
                          --
                          -------------------------
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 4, 2002
                            Wayne:

                            > [I am a bit upset at the Yahoo software for not letting me
                            > preview/edit the notification message after I uploaded the file.
                            > I was hoping to make it and this message just one message.]

                            What I usually do is say [No message to group]. then [copy URL] of the
                            posted file and include the URL in an explanatory post to the group.

                            Regards ... Alec
                            --
                            -------------------------

                            Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote (Mon, 04-Nov-2002 21:39 [GMT-0500]):
                            > --- In ntb-clips@y..., Dan McCullough <DanM@N...> wrote:
                            <snip>
                          • Julie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 5, 2002
                              Hi Alec,

                              >Julie: I took your suggestion and put in Favorites for ClipBasics and
                              >Custom Functions with a title to remind me that this is where the
                              >definitions for ^& ^? ^* and ^** are. Hopefully the next time I need one
                              >of them, I'll remember I stashed the link in Favorites ;-)

                              My only other Favorites topic is Regular Expressions, but even putting it
                              in there doesn't help me. LOL

                              >Julie - I see Sheri reposted (a modified version) to this list. The link
                              >I gave you would have taken you to her post in the PowerPro list.

                              Actually the clip she posted created a list of links, but wasn't an actual
                              clip to save the pages. I didn't think at the time the PowerPro archives
                              were open, but I've since clicked on the link she posted and saw the clip.

                              >I think I was accidentally inventing my own abbreviation. Its "code" is
                              >[EL-M] hence (I thought) eList. (I think Julie hangs out there)

                              I look at three of those lists from the web to get an idea of the way
                              Yahoo's going with YahooGroups. I find it amusing how upset people get;
                              afterall it is a free service. (I do realize the time people invest in
                              lists; afterall I have moved mine to a different server <G>.)

                              Julie