Re: [Clip] Variable vs Fixed fonts

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2002
      Graham:
      My understanding of why some features available in Notetab Lite=Free are
      not available in Notetab Pro:

      The underlying RichEdit DLL's used by Lite and Pro are different. The
      one used in Pro makes possible a number of features that simply could
      not be accomplished with that used for Lite but at the expense of not
      being able to do a few things that CAN be done with the one used for
      Lite (probably most significant are the inability to handle variable
      fonts.)

      The devotees of Notetab (both Pro and Lite) amongst whom I count myself
      ;-) can if neccessary fall back to the Lite if required for a particular
      purpose but almost all the time use the Pro version.

      AFAIK, the long awaited Notetab 5.0, which will (I think) use yet
      another RichEdit control not available when the three current versions
      will amongst a number of other innovations, consolidate the features
      currently available in Pro-Lite-Standard, somewhat the same way that
      WinXP consolidated the feature sets of Win9x and Win2K. I haven't yet
      heard from anyone what if anything the feature set of a possible new
      Notetab 5.0 Lite will include.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      -------------------------

      On Sun, 27-Oct-2002 14:48 [GMT-0500]
      graham lawrence <forporphyry@...> wrote:
      > Jody, the difference in the fonts is indeed documented, but that is
      > beside the point. One reads the documentation to learn how to use
      > the program, but thereafter one simply uses it, and it is this *use*
      > that makes the sale. At that point it is entirely counter-intuitive
      > to anticipate that the full version will *lack* features available in
      > the trial version, even if only because such discovery might lead to
      > accusations of deceptive marketing.
      >
      > Notetab appears to be held hostage by a pack of fixed font fanatics,
      > but there is a larger world of potential customers out here. The
      > point at issue is simply a matter of preference, of choice. As I
      > understand it, the entire purpose of trade is that it maximizes
      > choice. In that context your company's marketing strategy is
      > bizarre, in that it denies a choice apparently offered.
      >
      > Why go to all the trouble of producing two distinct versions of the
      > same program, then waste one of them as nothing more than a sales
      > vehicle for the other. Why don't you offer *both* versions for sale?
    • graham lawrence
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2002
        My concern is more with promotional ethics than with "grumbling" about
        fonts. Perhaps you are simply too close to the situation, and can't see the
        wood for the trees. So let me try an analogy to give you a different
        perspective on it.

        Suppose you were in the market for a new car. You go to the local showroom
        and ask to test drive the model of interest. They bring out the most
        handsome set of wheels you've ever seen, a real head turner. You take it
        for a spin and it drives and handles like a dream, and the price, so
        reasonable.

        You rave about the car, can't wait to sign on the dotted line, and tell the
        sales rep you want one just exactly like the demo. You pay your money and a
        few weeks later go to take delivery. And you get a nasty surprise.

        Its the same model, same performance specifications, but its painted the
        wrong color. You protest the alteration. "Oh no", says the rep, "it only
        comes in the one color, says so in your sales contract. Didn't you read
        it"? And sure enough, right there in the small print, it says it comes in
        just the one color.

        "But the demo wasn't that color", you say, "and that's the color I wanted".
        "Oh, that was a special paint job", says the rep, "for promotional purposes
        only".

        So give me a straight answer to this question, Jody. If you found yourself
        in the kind of situation I just described, how would you feel? Would you
        feel that you had been conned, or would you feel that it is perfectly
        acceptable for a company to promote its product by such methods?

        graham

        >From: Jody <av1611@...>
        >To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Clip] Variable vs Fixed fonts
        >Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:38:58 -0600
        >
        >Hi Sheri,
        >
        > >> The Light is obsoletely free.
        > >
        > >Hmmmn. Surely you meant "absolutely" lol!
        >
        >Certainly! So much for my while you type spelling checker. <g>
        >
        > >I haven't seen too much grumbling about the font issue before,
        > >but has it ever been considered to bundle Standard in with the
        > >Pro package?
        >
        >No, not that I am aware of, but Eric may have tossed it around
        >for awhile. Most people that want the advantages of Pro, but
        >still want variable width fonts in the edit window at times just
        >buy Pro and use Light when they have the need. It is only the
        >document edit window that Pro cannot display/use variable width.
        >Anyway, there will be no difference in input control in v5, so
        >the conversation about it now is pretty much useless.
        >
        > >How is 5.0 coming along?
        >
        >It is slowly but surely being worked on.
        >
        > >Wasn't there supposed to be a transition version using the new
        > >input control?
        >
        >Yes, and unless Eric changed his mind, it is still in the working.
        >
        >Happy Clip'n!
        >Jody
        >
        >http://www.notetab.net
        >
        >Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        >mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2002
          Dear Graham,

          You letter doesn't really warrant responses from the group. It is off base.
          I have nothing to do with NoteTab excpt being an avid user. I have seen the
          warning (it pops on your screen) and it clearly says, this is a trial
          period. Quit complaining and pony up the money and please take this to the
          off topic list, cause that's what it is!

          Don

          > "But the demo wasn't that color", you say, "and that's the color I
          wanted".
          > "Oh, that was a special paint job", says the rep, "for promotional
          purposes
          > only".

          Or what if the rep said ... this is a promo color only. Drive it for thirty
          days and if you like it, pay for it and we will make it permanent, otherwise
          it washes off. Take it or leave it, but leave the list alone.
        • Dan McCullough
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2002
            Hi everyone,

            I was also initially disappointed with the original number of fixed width
            fonts available, but after posting a message here I was pointed to where I
            could find many more fixed-width fonts, and it since hasn't been an issue
            for me. For $20 try and find an editor out there that matches NoteTab's
            features and power, not to mention the support of the many nice people here
            who are happy to answer any question you may have, and then tell me you
            aren't being a baby about the whole issue.

            Just my opinion,

            Dan
          • loro
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2002
              At 18:07 2002.10.29, graham lawrence wrote:
              >"But the demo wasn't that color", you say, "and that's the color I wanted".
              >"Oh, that was a special paint job", says the rep, "for promotional purposes
              >only".

              Once again, it helps if you test drive the model you plan to buy. The demo
              for Notetab Pro is Notetab Pro Trial,
              http://www.notetab.com/download.htm#ntp and lo and behold, it uses only
              monospace fonts.

              "Oh, but this isn't the model you tried, sir", says the salesman.

              Lotta
            • Eric G.V. Fookes
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2002
                Graham,

                >My concern is more with promotional ethics than with "grumbling" about
                >fonts.

                "Promotional ethics"? Sorry, I can't help but react to this. You can blame
                us for many things, but your claim that our marketing is deceitful really
                goes too far. What more do you expect us to do? We provide a free trial
                version of NoteTab Pro that you can evaluate for a full month! That should
                give you plenty of time to discover the differences between the various
                versions of NoteTab as well as other competing program. Furthermore, there
                is a comparison chart on the NoteTab Web sites that clearly lists all the
                differences between NoteTab Light/Std/Pro:

                http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

                This comparison chart is also included in the Help file, which comes with
                all versions of NoteTab. We keep no secrets. Oh, and the differences are
                also listed on the NoteTab Light page:

                http://www.notetab.com/ntl.htm

                So, with all this information, how can you infer that we're withholding
                information such as the font issue? Perhaps you didn't have time to read
                through the abundant information we provide? In that case, a quick pre-sale
                question to our top class customer support (Jody Adair) or our fine
                discussion lists here would have provided you with an accurate answer,
                usually within 24 hours. How about that!

                >Suppose you were in the market for a new car. You go to the local showroom
                >and ask to test drive the model of interest. They bring out the most
                >handsome set of wheels you've ever seen, a real head turner. You take it
                >for a spin and it drives and handles like a dream, and the price, so
                >reasonable.

                Interesting. So why didn't you test drive NoteTab Pro? The download link is
                not provided for the fun of it. It's there to give you a chance to evaluate
                NoteTab Pro for free for one month.

                >You rave about the car, can't wait to sign on the dotted line, and tell the
                >sales rep you want one just exactly like the demo. You pay your money and a
                >few weeks later go to take delivery. And you get a nasty surprise.

                The full version of NoteTab Pro is better than the demo. It adds a spell
                checker, thesaurus, and works for an unlimited amount of time.

                >Its the same model, same performance specifications, but its painted the
                >wrong color. You protest the alteration. "Oh no", says the rep, "it only
                >comes in the one color, says so in your sales contract. Didn't you read
                >it"? And sure enough, right there in the small print, it says it comes in
                >just the one color.

                We have no small print because there is nothing to hide. Your analogy
                doesn't work.

                >So give me a straight answer to this question, Jody. If you found yourself
                >in the kind of situation I just described, how would you feel? Would you
                >feel that you had been conned, or would you feel that it is perfectly
                >acceptable for a company to promote its product by such methods?

                So you feel we conned you? Sorry you feel that way about us.

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 29, 2002
                  Hi Graham and Others,

                  I replied with a few sentence over on the NoteTab OffTopic list.
                  Please take this thread over to it or private eMail. Please see
                  my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List