Variable vs Fixed fonts

  • graham lawrence
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2002
      Jody, the difference in the fonts is indeed documented, but that is beside
      the point. One reads the documentation to learn how to use the program, but
      thereafter one simply uses it, and it is this *use* that makes the sale. At
      that point it is entirely counter-intuitive to anticipate that the full
      version will *lack* features available in the trial version, even if only
      because such discovery might lead to accusations of deceptive marketing.

      Notetab appears to be held hostage by a pack of fixed font fanatics, but
      there is a larger world of potential customers out here. The point at issue
      is simply a matter of preference, of choice. As I understand it, the entire
      purpose of trade is that it maximizes choice. In that context your
      company's marketing strategy is bizarre, in that it denies a choice
      apparently offered.

      Why go to all the trouble of producing two distinct versions of the same
      program, then waste one of them as nothing more than a sales vehicle for the
      other. Why don't you offer *both* versions for sale?

      graham lawrence

      Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!� Try MSN.
    • Peter Stagg
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2002
        <snip>
        > Notetab appears to be held hostage by a pack of fixed font
        > fanatics, but
        > there is a larger world of potential customers out here. The
        > point at issue
        > is simply a matter of preference, of choice.
        <snip>

        The difference between the use of fixed or variable width fonts is not
        simply a mater of choice. If that were the case then NT would most
        likely give you the *choice* of either.

        There are fundamental differences in functionality when using a fixed
        width over a variable width font. If you ever had to edit serious
        encoded documents such as UTF-8 encoded web pages you would know this.
        One of the fundamental differences that can really stuff you up is that
        when you edit such code using a variable width font a number of
        characters present in the page simply do not appear to be present until
        you try to select text and then you discover that you are selecting
        several characters ahead or several characters behind the characters you
        actually want to select - this does not happen with fixed width fonts.

        This is definitely not a shortcoming of NT but rather a very good
        programmer recognising the shortcomings of variable width fonts.

        Regards,

        Peter Stagg
        <mailto:peter.stagg@...>
        Net.Programmer
        Arts Information Technology
        P.O. Box 11A, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
        Ph: +61 3 9905 1221 Fx: 9905 5117 Mbl: 0407 682 637

        "This planet has ... a problem, ... most of the people
        living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time."
        "Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most
        of these were largely concerned with the movements of small
        green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it
        wasn't the small green pieces of paper which were unhappy."
        - Douglas Adams, *So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish*
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
          Hi Graham and Others,

          >At that point it is entirely counter-intuitive to anticipate that
          >the full version will *lack* features available in the trial
          >version,

          The NoteTab Pro Trial version is to check out to see if you want
          to buy the Pro. You try out Std from Light to see if you want to
          buy the Std version. No feature that is in the versions tried is
          omitted in the paid version. Everything that is in Light is in
          Std and everything that is in the Pro Trial is in the paid for
          Pro.

          >even if only because such discovery might lead to accusations of
          >deceptive marketing.

          I do not see anything that would be considered deceptive. It is
          a misunderstanding that because something is called a Pro version
          that it must be better in all the features in order to "earn"
          that title. That is not the case, but an assumption people make.

          It happens all the time in the real world. Many times a better
          all around product might be lacking some features that a lesser
          model has.

          >Notetab appears to be held hostage by a pack of fixed font
          >fanatics, but there is a larger world of potential customers out
          >here. The point at issue is simply a matter of preference, of
          >choice.

          No, it is not a matter of choice given what we have to work with
          presently. There are two different input controls used. To get
          speed and some other really good features we had to give up some
          things, one of which is the variable width fonts. It was and is:

          The Great Trade off!!! :-)

          I guess I would fall into the fixed width fanatic crowd, because
          they are easier to read and can actually print in straight
          columns so that everything lines up properly. I took me hours
          one day and a lot of ink and paper to figure that one out some
          years ago.

          >As I understand it, the entire purpose of trade is that it
          >maximizes choice. In that context your company's marketing
          >strategy is bizarre, in that it denies a choice apparently offered.

          Did you look at the Comparison Chart? There are differences. I
          can understand that you want variable width fonts, but not having
          them in the Pro version in no way makes it a lesser product or
          Std more of one because it can read variable width.

          To have or not to have variable width fonts is not a matter of
          copying some code from one to the other to achieve the feature.
          A whole different input control has to be used. That will happen
          in v5, so really, we cannot really go anywhere with this
          discussion, because nothing regarding fonts is going to happen
          anyway.

          >Why go to all the trouble of producing two distinct versions of
          >the same program, then waste one of them as nothing more than a
          >sales vehicle for the other. Why don't you offer *both* versions
          >for sale?

          I don't understand your question. Both are for sale. The Pro
          version is better than the Std version without a doubt. The
          Light is obsoletely free. So, we have:

          Pro $19.95
          Std 9.95
          Light free

          http://www.notetab.net

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
            --- In ntb-clips@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:

            <some interesting comments (snipped)>

            and then

            > The Light is obsoletely free.

            Hmmmn. Surely you meant "absolutely" lol!

            I haven't seen too much grumbling about the font issue before, but
            has it ever been considered to bundle Standard in with the Pro
            package?

            How is 5.0 coming along? Wasn't there supposed to be a transition
            version using the new input control?

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 2002
              Hi Sheri,

              >> The Light is obsoletely free.
              >
              >Hmmmn. Surely you meant "absolutely" lol!

              Certainly! So much for my while you type spelling checker. <g>

              >I haven't seen too much grumbling about the font issue before,
              >but has it ever been considered to bundle Standard in with the
              >Pro package?

              No, not that I am aware of, but Eric may have tossed it around
              for awhile. Most people that want the advantages of Pro, but
              still want variable width fonts in the edit window at times just
              buy Pro and use Light when they have the need. It is only the
              document edit window that Pro cannot display/use variable width.
              Anyway, there will be no difference in input control in v5, so
              the conversation about it now is pretty much useless.

              >How is 5.0 coming along?

              It is slowly but surely being worked on.

              >Wasn't there supposed to be a transition version using the new
              >input control?

              Yes, and unless Eric changed his mind, it is still in the working.

              http://www.notetab.net