[Clip] Re: url then find email ...

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 1999
      David Seidman <seidmand@...> wrote:

      >Since GAWK is a much smaller download than PERL, you may wonder about my
      >useof perl rather than gawk here. One reason is that gawk does not have a
      >built-in sort capability. A second is that gawk does not provide a
      >variable (like $& in perl) that contains what the regex matched, so you
      >have to get that in somewhat more complicated ways. A third is that perl
      >makes it easier to get pattern matches beyond the first in a line, by using
      >the g option attached to the regex. But the real reason is that I was
      >trying to learn perl when I wrote the original version of this program.

      By the way, when I get back to working on NoteAwk, I will convert all
      it's awk scripts to Perl. The gawk support will remain for using the
      user's own gawk scripts, but I need Perl to make the built in scripts
      work as well as I'd like. Gawk is just too limited.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      ICQ: 15117288
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
        At 01:18 AM 8/2/1999 -0500, Jody wrote:
        <SNIP>

        >the delimiter. I generally try to do it all in NoteTab though
        >because it is faster, but sometimes it just can't be done
        >reasonably.

        And I generally try to do it using awk or perl because (a) I tend to think
        of those as part of NoteTab, given how nicely Eric has integrated them and
        how handy Wayne's NoteAwk is; and (b) it saves me the trouble of actually
        learning how to write clips. But sometimes I use the awk or perl script
        simply to illustrate the use of a regex, and the regex itself is also
        useful if you prefer clips to awk or perl scripts.

        I like to make specific clips so I can make the do
        >the job quicker than trying to incorporate all the different
        >possibilities there may be slowing the script down. Usually, most
        >the specific task clips can be slightly edited to do different
        >variations of something general.

        I use perl and awk scripts the same way. The one I posted in this thread,
        for example, has been used with various different regex's and some minor
        differences in the print statement to extract all sorts of different things.

        <SNIP>

        >^!Select Url

        But there are clear advantages to learning more about clips. For example,
        I didn't realize until I read your message that you could just "Select Url".

        <SNIP>

        > Thanks again for
        >you perl contributions. I consider you our resident pro. :)

        If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
        Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are better
        qualified than I am to claim the title.
      • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
          On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:16:20 -0500 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
          > Hi Larry and Bong,
          >
          > How do you know when you are a NoteTab junkie?

          When you stay up until the sun starts to rise trying to get a clip to
          work....

          Jodie & I have a joke about starting CPA - Clip Programmers Anonymous.

          Hi, My Name's Larry and I am a NoteTab junkie. ;)

          Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
          http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
          My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

        • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
            On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:54:06 +0300 "BONG" <bong@...> writes:
            > What's the public opinion: is the clip language easy?
            >
            > BONG

            I find it to be much easier than it at first appears. Some things I first
            tried to do with clips were like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg. It
            works but takes a lot of energy to do it right.

            Many of my first clips that I asked for help on went from twenty plus
            lines to under ten, from suggestions on the list.

            Once you get the hang of it, it starts to make sense. You just have to
            play with it.

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
              Hi David,

              > And I generally try to do it using awk or perl because (a) I
              > tend to think of those as part of NoteTab, given how nicely
              > Eric has integrated them and how handy Wayne's NoteAwk is; and
              > (b) it saves me the trouble of actually learning how to write
              > clips.

              And scripts save me the trouble of learning perl. I find
              perl/gawk a lot harder than NoteTab's scripting.

              > If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
              > Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are
              > better qualified than I am to claim the title.

              Perhaps, but you always seem to have an answer for us. :) I know
              Wayne knows it and Wren, hmmm, where is he, does well also.

              Bye for now,
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
              http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab
            • Nicole Simon
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                David Seidman wrote:
                > If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
                > Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are better
                > qualified than I am to claim the title.

                Fortunately, we all have our little project to go, so a good big perl
                library is up to you to make ;))

                Nicole

                --
                »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                  At 02:42 AM 8/3/1999 -0500, Jody wrote:

                  >And scripts save me the trouble of learning perl. I find
                  >perl/gawk a lot harder than NoteTab's scripting.

                  Perl is big, messy, complicated, and extremely powerful. I pretty much
                  restrict myself to a fairly small subset of what was available in version
                  3. I really don't even try to understand the things that differentiate
                  version 5 from version 4.

                  Awk, on the other hand, is pretty small, orders of magnitude less
                  complicated, and a good deal less powerful (Gawk adds a little bit to awk,
                  but not really anything you have to worry about, although one or two of the
                  added functions are extremely handy). The whole thing is set out and
                  explained in one 45-page chapter of The Awk Programming Language, by Aho,
                  Kernighan, and Weinberger (a book which I would recommend highly to anyone
                  interested in computer programming). I doubt you would find it a lot
                  harder than NoteTab's scripting if you spent a few hours with the book.
                  Not that I'm recommending that you do -- if you can do what you want in
                  NoteTab scripting, you don't need awk.
                • David Seidman
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                    At 10:38 AM 8/3/1999 +0200, Nicole Simon wrote:

                    >Fortunately, we all have our little project to go, so a good big perl
                    >library is up to you to make ;))

                    But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?
                  • Nicole Simon
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 4, 1999
                      David Seidman wrote:
                      > But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?

                      Nope. A library for _writing_ perlscripts is not that complicated ;o)
                      Take my awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl would be a good start ;o)
                      (I have a newer version on my harddisk)

                      A typical entry from my 'awk special' library goes like this:
                      d. comma --> d. point
                      sub(",", ".", ^?[variable]) ^?[With comment ==_No^=|Yes^=#
                      replaces decimal comma with point]

                      awk_f for function:
                      for
                      for(^?[initialization=i=1];^?[condition=i<=];^?[increment=i++]) {
                      ^&
                      } # for (^?[initialization];^?[condition];^?[increment])

                      awk_v for variables
                      ARGV command-line arguments
                      # ARGV is indexed from zero to ARGC - 1
                      ARGV

                      You see, a little timesaving, a litte lookup and a little helpfile.
                      :o)

                      Nicole

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 4, 1999
                        At 03:33 PM 8/4/1999 +0200, Nicole Simon wrote:
                        >David Seidman wrote:
                        >> But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?
                        >
                        >Nope. A library for _writing_ perlscripts is not that complicated ;o)

                        "Nope," she says, but "Yes" she means. Yes, I would have to learn more of
                        the clip language than I've ever used before, but no, I would not have to
                        learn the whole thing.

                        >Take my awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl would be a good start ;o)

                        But Michael E. Schechter's Perl_clb.Zip already exists. Do you not think
                        that is useful?

                        >(I have a newer version on my harddisk)

                        Then that is the version that should be on Eric's web site. Surely when
                        you tell me to take your awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl, I should
                        be using the newest version of your awk.clbs.
                      • Nicole Simon
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 5, 1999
                          David Seidman wrote:
                          > "Nope," she says, but "Yes" she means. Yes, I would have to learn more of
                          > the clip language than I've ever used before, but no, I would not have to
                          > learn the whole thing.

                          The parts you could use are _really_ basic clip language. If you want to
                          see a real big clip, take a look at Wayne's Projectmanager - but be
                          carefull, it is very strucured and good programmed ;o)

                          > But Michael E. Schechter's Perl_clb.Zip already exists. Do you not think
                          > that is useful?

                          No. The last time I saw this he had 5 or more librarys with different parts
                          - this is way to much. Like the special char library: Yes, you can have one
                          whole library for it but you can also put this in one clip.

                          > Then that is the version that should be on Eric's web site. Surely when

                          Yes and no.

                          The newer one I am using has some 'special' gawk function, little
                          snipplets, special things which _I_ need but no one else and, another big
                          problem:

                          NR display
                          if(NR % ^?[In welchen Abständen Zeilen zählen?=100] == 0) { #
                          Lebenszeichen geben
                          printf "\rVerarbeitete Zeilen: " NR
                          }

                          They are mostly in german.

                          The _basic_ set is complete with all most needed functions and variables.
                          But I need time to seperate the 'unwanted' special-Nicole-in-german clips
                          out of it. If you just have a look at it's okay. But not for the library.

                          I don't have the time to translate it proper and I never had any real
                          feedback (add this, correct that) that someone uses them really ;o)

                          But, they are a good base for other languages. :o)

                          Nicole