[Clip] Re: url then find email ...

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 1999
      David Seidman <seidmand@...> wrote:

      >Since GAWK is a much smaller download than PERL, you may wonder about my
      >useof perl rather than gawk here. One reason is that gawk does not have a
      >built-in sort capability. A second is that gawk does not provide a
      >variable (like $& in perl) that contains what the regex matched, so you
      >have to get that in somewhat more complicated ways. A third is that perl
      >makes it easier to get pattern matches beyond the first in a line, by using
      >the g option attached to the regex. But the real reason is that I was
      >trying to learn perl when I wrote the original version of this program.

      By the way, when I get back to working on NoteAwk, I will convert all
      it's awk scripts to Perl. The gawk support will remain for using the
      user's own gawk scripts, but I need Perl to make the built in scripts
      work as well as I'd like. Gawk is just too limited.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      ICQ: 15117288
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 1999
        Hi David,

        >> ^!Find "@" S
        >> ^!IfError Sort
        >> ^!Set %Add%=^$GetBlock$

        > I got lost in the thread and so I don't know what input data
        > this is supposed to find email addresses in, but for some input
        > data, there could be a problem. GetBlock returns, as I
        > understand the HLP file, a sequence of bytes delimited by tab
        > or space (or, I assume, new line). In general, there is no
        > reason to assume one of those will be the delimiter.

        I had mentioned in one of the first posts that the Clip was
        specific and would fail if there was text on either side of the
        address. Both Bong and Bill's source file had the addresses
        delimited by many spaces or had a hard return on the right end.
        They were even on lines by themselves used code which was the
        shortest to write, but most of all the fastest in achieving the
        ends results desired.

        Thanks for you perl contribution to the list! Your method if I
        understand it correctly, will get the most of them regardless of
        the delimiter. I generally try to do it all in NoteTab though
        because it is faster, but sometimes it just can't be done
        reasonably. I like to make specific clips so I can make the do
        the job quicker than trying to incorporate all the different
        possibilities there may be slowing the script down. Usually, most
        the specific task clips can be slightly edited to do different
        variations of something general. For instance, this one will get
        all the eMail addresses on a web page in the mailto format and
        put them into eMail format and I only changed a few things from
        previous clips posted. The change of tag names was not necessary
        - just did that because... :)

        ^!ClearVariable %Addresses%
        :Loop
        ^!Find "mailto:" SI
        ^!IfError Format
        ^!Select Url
        ^!Set %Address%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Append %Addresses%=^%Address%^%nl%
        ^!Goto Loop

        :Format
        ^!Set %fmt%=^$StrSort("^%Addresses%";False;True;True)$
        ^!Set %fmt%=^$StrReplace("mailto:";"^%Empty%";"^%fmt%";False;False)$
        ^!Set %Addresses%=^$StrReplace("^%nl%";",^%Space%";"^%fmt%";False;False)$
        ^!Jump 1
        ^!Info ^%Addresses%

        With others it is just a matter of changing the search criteria
        finding the start coordinates and selecting back to it. Thanks again for
        you perl contributions. I consider you our resident pro. :)

        Happy Camper,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 15:15

        Clean-Funnies
        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
      • David Seidman
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
          At 01:18 AM 8/2/1999 -0500, Jody wrote:
          <SNIP>

          >the delimiter. I generally try to do it all in NoteTab though
          >because it is faster, but sometimes it just can't be done
          >reasonably.

          And I generally try to do it using awk or perl because (a) I tend to think
          of those as part of NoteTab, given how nicely Eric has integrated them and
          how handy Wayne's NoteAwk is; and (b) it saves me the trouble of actually
          learning how to write clips. But sometimes I use the awk or perl script
          simply to illustrate the use of a regex, and the regex itself is also
          useful if you prefer clips to awk or perl scripts.

          I like to make specific clips so I can make the do
          >the job quicker than trying to incorporate all the different
          >possibilities there may be slowing the script down. Usually, most
          >the specific task clips can be slightly edited to do different
          >variations of something general.

          I use perl and awk scripts the same way. The one I posted in this thread,
          for example, has been used with various different regex's and some minor
          differences in the print statement to extract all sorts of different things.

          <SNIP>

          >^!Select Url

          But there are clear advantages to learning more about clips. For example,
          I didn't realize until I read your message that you could just "Select Url".

          <SNIP>

          > Thanks again for
          >you perl contributions. I consider you our resident pro. :)

          If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
          Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are better
          qualified than I am to claim the title.
        • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
            On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:16:20 -0500 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
            > Hi Larry and Bong,
            >
            > How do you know when you are a NoteTab junkie?

            When you stay up until the sun starts to rise trying to get a clip to
            work....

            Jodie & I have a joke about starting CPA - Clip Programmers Anonymous.

            Hi, My Name's Larry and I am a NoteTab junkie. ;)

            Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
            http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
            My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

          • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 2, 1999
              On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:54:06 +0300 "BONG" <bong@...> writes:
              > What's the public opinion: is the clip language easy?
              >
              > BONG

              I find it to be much easier than it at first appears. Some things I first
              tried to do with clips were like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg. It
              works but takes a lot of energy to do it right.

              Many of my first clips that I asked for help on went from twenty plus
              lines to under ten, from suggestions on the list.

              Once you get the hang of it, it starts to make sense. You just have to
              play with it.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                Hi David,

                > And I generally try to do it using awk or perl because (a) I
                > tend to think of those as part of NoteTab, given how nicely
                > Eric has integrated them and how handy Wayne's NoteAwk is; and
                > (b) it saves me the trouble of actually learning how to write
                > clips.

                And scripts save me the trouble of learning perl. I find
                perl/gawk a lot harder than NoteTab's scripting.

                > If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
                > Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are
                > better qualified than I am to claim the title.

                Perhaps, but you always seem to have an answer for us. :) I know
                Wayne knows it and Wren, hmmm, where is he, does well also.

                Bye for now,
                Jody Adair
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                http://www.sureword.com/notetab
              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                  David Seidman wrote:
                  > If I'm the resident perl pro here, we are all in deep trouble.
                  > Fortunately, it appears that a number of contributors here are better
                  > qualified than I am to claim the title.

                  Fortunately, we all have our little project to go, so a good big perl
                  library is up to you to make ;))

                  Nicole

                  --
                  »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                  enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                    At 02:42 AM 8/3/1999 -0500, Jody wrote:

                    >And scripts save me the trouble of learning perl. I find
                    >perl/gawk a lot harder than NoteTab's scripting.

                    Perl is big, messy, complicated, and extremely powerful. I pretty much
                    restrict myself to a fairly small subset of what was available in version
                    3. I really don't even try to understand the things that differentiate
                    version 5 from version 4.

                    Awk, on the other hand, is pretty small, orders of magnitude less
                    complicated, and a good deal less powerful (Gawk adds a little bit to awk,
                    but not really anything you have to worry about, although one or two of the
                    added functions are extremely handy). The whole thing is set out and
                    explained in one 45-page chapter of The Awk Programming Language, by Aho,
                    Kernighan, and Weinberger (a book which I would recommend highly to anyone
                    interested in computer programming). I doubt you would find it a lot
                    harder than NoteTab's scripting if you spent a few hours with the book.
                    Not that I'm recommending that you do -- if you can do what you want in
                    NoteTab scripting, you don't need awk.
                  • David Seidman
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 3, 1999
                      At 10:38 AM 8/3/1999 +0200, Nicole Simon wrote:

                      >Fortunately, we all have our little project to go, so a good big perl
                      >library is up to you to make ;))

                      But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?
                    • Nicole Simon
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 4, 1999
                        David Seidman wrote:
                        > But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?

                        Nope. A library for _writing_ perlscripts is not that complicated ;o)
                        Take my awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl would be a good start ;o)
                        (I have a newer version on my harddisk)

                        A typical entry from my 'awk special' library goes like this:
                        d. comma --> d. point
                        sub(",", ".", ^?[variable]) ^?[With comment ==_No^=|Yes^=#
                        replaces decimal comma with point]

                        awk_f for function:
                        for
                        for(^?[initialization=i=1];^?[condition=i<=];^?[increment=i++]) {
                        ^&
                        } # for (^?[initialization];^?[condition];^?[increment])

                        awk_v for variables
                        ARGV command-line arguments
                        # ARGV is indexed from zero to ARGC - 1
                        ARGV

                        You see, a little timesaving, a litte lookup and a little helpfile.
                        :o)

                        Nicole

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 4, 1999
                          At 03:33 PM 8/4/1999 +0200, Nicole Simon wrote:
                          >David Seidman wrote:
                          >> But wouldn't I need to learn the clip language to do that?
                          >
                          >Nope. A library for _writing_ perlscripts is not that complicated ;o)

                          "Nope," she says, but "Yes" she means. Yes, I would have to learn more of
                          the clip language than I've ever used before, but no, I would not have to
                          learn the whole thing.

                          >Take my awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl would be a good start ;o)

                          But Michael E. Schechter's Perl_clb.Zip already exists. Do you not think
                          that is useful?

                          >(I have a newer version on my harddisk)

                          Then that is the version that should be on Eric's web site. Surely when
                          you tell me to take your awk.clbs and make them suitable for perl, I should
                          be using the newest version of your awk.clbs.
                        • Nicole Simon
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 5, 1999
                            David Seidman wrote:
                            > "Nope," she says, but "Yes" she means. Yes, I would have to learn more of
                            > the clip language than I've ever used before, but no, I would not have to
                            > learn the whole thing.

                            The parts you could use are _really_ basic clip language. If you want to
                            see a real big clip, take a look at Wayne's Projectmanager - but be
                            carefull, it is very strucured and good programmed ;o)

                            > But Michael E. Schechter's Perl_clb.Zip already exists. Do you not think
                            > that is useful?

                            No. The last time I saw this he had 5 or more librarys with different parts
                            - this is way to much. Like the special char library: Yes, you can have one
                            whole library for it but you can also put this in one clip.

                            > Then that is the version that should be on Eric's web site. Surely when

                            Yes and no.

                            The newer one I am using has some 'special' gawk function, little
                            snipplets, special things which _I_ need but no one else and, another big
                            problem:

                            NR display
                            if(NR % ^?[In welchen Abständen Zeilen zählen?=100] == 0) { #
                            Lebenszeichen geben
                            printf "\rVerarbeitete Zeilen: " NR
                            }

                            They are mostly in german.

                            The _basic_ set is complete with all most needed functions and variables.
                            But I need time to seperate the 'unwanted' special-Nicole-in-german clips
                            out of it. If you just have a look at it's okay. But not for the library.

                            I don't have the time to translate it proper and I never had any real
                            feedback (add this, correct that) that someone uses them really ;o)

                            But, they are a good base for other languages. :o)

                            Nicole