[Clip] Re: a temporary document instead of a prompt PUZZLE

  • BONG
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 1999
      >As you can see from my last post, I even got it wrong ê¿ê . That is not
      >going to stop me from trying to get it right though.

      Now I'm starting to think that this my question is a Puzzle (number one
      question by obscurity ever asked on this list :) Here's what I really want
      to do. Imagine a prompt before your eyes (I could even draw it)

      _________________________________
      | __________________________ |
      | |Here's my email | |
      | |__________________________| |
      | |
      | | OK | |Cancel| |

      Now my mouse cursor hovers over the word "email" and selects it. I want to
      tell ANOTHER clip to make a link using the SELECTED word (not all the words
      I've typed in the prompt!). Almost sure it's impossible.

      BONG
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 1999
        08/01/1999 11:20 AM BONG wrote

        > Now my mouse cursor hovers over the word "email" and
        > selects it. I want to tell ANOTHER clip to make a link
        > using the SELECTED word (not all the words I've typed in
        > the prompt!). Almost sure it's impossible.

        I'm sure what you want done can be accomplished using
        NoteTab clips but not the way you're trying to do it.

        My impression of what you want is to be able to input some
        information and have it saved over the area highlighted in
        your HTML document along with hyperlinking part of the
        replacement text. I'm going to pick an arbitrary tag to use
        to indicate the area that should be hyperlinked.

        ^!Set %var%=^?{(T=W)Text}; %url%=^?{URL}
        ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("..>";"a href="^%url%">";"^%var%";No;No)$
        ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("<..";"</a>";"^%temp%";No;No)$
        ^!InsertText ^%temp%

        There are 4 lines. All start with ^!
        You enter the text
        Now is the time for all ..>good men<.. to come to the aid.
        in the first box & a url in
        the 2nd box. The clip will convert the text 'good men' into
        a link using what you put in the url box. If the url is the
        same as the text, it can be done a bit differently. This
        section of code assumes that you've already highlighted the
        text to be replaced in the document. Test it by itself with
        text highlighted in a new doc & if it works as you want, add
        it to your existing clip.

        If it's not close to what you had in mind, sending
        examples of the section you need to keep changing & changes
        you typically make would be your best bet.

        --- Grandma Kay ---