[Clip] Re: a temporary document instead of a prompt

  • BONG
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
      >^!^?[Enter commandline]
      >^!Open ^?[(T=O)Open file]
      >What is it you need to do?

      An htm document has a table with about 200 cells. I need to update one cell
      constantly and I don't want to open the doc, search for the cell, make
      changes, save them and close the doc every time, so I made a clip:

      ^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
      ^!Jump Doc_Start
      ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
      ^!Jump Select_End
      ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
      ^!Jump Select_Start
      ^!SelectTo ^%Start%
      ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
      ^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
      ^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

      As you can see I use a non-existent and invisible <marker> tag to mark the
      needed cell. In html it looks like this:

      Everything goes okay: I get the prompt and type in the changes. Like this:

      Blah blah, here are my changes.

      Then I want to select the word "changes" and make it a hyperlink, ie to use
      the appropriate clip. Halt. I can't do this. That is my situation and I'm
      ready to explain it once more with examples etc. Thanks for your help!

      BONG
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
        Hi BONG,

        > ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
        > ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
        > ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}

        > Then I want to select the word "changes" and make it a
        > hyperlink, ie to use the appropriate clip. Halt. I can't do
        > this.

        What can't you do at this point? The changes are made that you
        type in. Are you now trying to run a Clip on the new data that
        will make it into a link? If so, instead of using the prompt
        line use something like this:

        > ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
        ; Remove this: ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
        ^!Clip "Add Link"

        ^!Clip will call the following Clip:

        H=Add Link
        <A HREF="^?">^?</A>

        That will be inserted over the selection between your markers.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
          Hi Jody,

          At 11:24 AM 8/1/1999 -0500, you wrote:
          >H=Add Link
          ><A HREF="^?">^?</A>

          It seems like it should be: <A HREF="^&">^?</A>
          If that is what he wants.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
            Hi Bong,

            At 05:07 PM 8/1/1999 +0300, you wrote:
            >>^!^?[Enter commandline]
            >>^!Open ^?[(T=O)Open file]
            >>What is it you need to do?
            >
            >An htm document has a table with about 200 cells. I need to update one cell
            >constantly and I don't want to open the doc, search for the cell, make
            >changes, save them and close the doc every time, so I made a clip:
            >
            >^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
            >^!Jump Doc_Start
            >^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
            >^!Jump Select_End
            >^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
            >^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
            >^!Jump Select_Start
            >^!SelectTo ^%Start%
            >^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
            >^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
            >^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

            As you can see from my last post, I even got it wrong ê¿ê . That is not
            going to stop me from trying to get it right though. I think I have a
            better idea than Jody. Instead of replacing your prompt, modify it from:

            ?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}

            ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=<A HREF="^$GetSelection$">^$GetSelection$</A>}

            and then you just edit the text that appears in the prompt and click "ok"
            and you should be there.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
              Ok Bong, This is my last try for today. I hope it works.

              At 05:07 PM 8/1/1999 +0300, you wrote:
              >>^!^?[Enter commandline]
              >>^!Open ^?[(T=O)Open file]
              >>What is it you need to do?
              >
              >An htm document has a table with about 200 cells. I need to update one cell
              >constantly and I don't want to open the doc, search for the cell, make
              >changes, save them and close the doc every time, so I made a clip:
              >
              >^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
              >^!Jump Doc_Start
              >^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
              >^!Jump Select_End
              >^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              >^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
              >^!Jump Select_Start
              >^!SelectTo ^%Start%
              >^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
              >^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
              >^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

              Here is my revision of your clip:

              ^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
              ^!Jump Doc_Start
              ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
              ^!Jump Select_End
              ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
              ^!Jump Select_Start
              ^!SelectTo ^%Start%

              ;I changed your prompt to two promts and sent the output to the clipboard.
              ;You type in your first change on the first prompt.
              ;Your changes are pasted and reselected for the second prompt.

              ^!SetClipboard ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
              ^!PasteSelect

              ;You select what you want as a hyperlink in the second prompt.
              ;Then right-click on your selection and copy it to the clipboard then click
              ok.

              ^!Set %Link%=^?{(H=M)Select & Copy Hyperlink:=^$GetSelection$}
              ^!Find "^$GetClipboard$" TISAH

              ;Find highlights what you selected thus reducing the selection to just what
              you
              ;want in the hyperlink.

              ^!Delay 10
              <A HREF="^$GetClipboard$">^$GetClipboard$</A>

              ;And the selection is hyperlinked.

              ^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
              ^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

              You may not like this but it is the only way that I could think to do it.
              You must 1) Select what you want in the hyperlink in the second prompt and
              2) right-click on the new selection and copy it to the clipboard before you
              click ok on the second prompt or else this will fail.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
                Ok Bong, This is a better one.

                Here is my latest version 4:20 p.m. 8/1/99:

                ^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
                ^!Jump Doc_Start
                ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
                ^!Jump Select_End
                ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
                ^!Jump Select_Start
                ^!SelectTo ^%Start%

                ;I changed your prompt to two prompts and sent the output to a Variable.
                ;You type in your first line in the first box.
                ;Type in what you want in the link in the second box and click ok.
                ;In this clip the link will always be on the right.

                ^!Set %Var%=^?[(H=M)Make your changes:=^&]
                ^!Set %Link%=^?[(H=M)Enter Hyperlink:Item=]
                ^%Var%<A HREF="^%Link%">^%Link%</A>

                ;And the selection is hyperlinked.

                ^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
                ^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

                This one does not require you to copy anything to the clipboard. Just
                enter the two items in the two prompt boxes and click ok.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
                  Hi Larry & Bong,

                  > ^!Set %Var%=^?[(H=M)Make your changes:=^&]
                  > ^!Set %Link%=^?[(H=M)Enter Hyperlink:Item=]
                  > ^%Var%<A HREF="^%Link%">^%Link%</A>

                  I was confused at what bong was wanting, but it appears that is
                  it. If not, pst a before and after sample of the text with your
                  marker tags.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 1999
                    >I was confused at what bong was wanting, but it appears that is
                    >it. If not, pst a before and after sample of the text with your
                    >marker tags.

                    Larry's clip was so close to what I was wanting... that I'll risk to bother
                    you for the last time (I MEAN it: if it fails now, please DO FORGET IT, I'll
                    edit things manually and sorry for your wasted time)

                    Before sample:

                    <marker>hello people</marker>

                    After sample:

                    <marker>I've just made some <a
                    href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>changes</a></marker>
                    or
                    changes</marker>
                    or
                    changes</marker>
                    depending on which word I select

                    Now Larry's clip results in:
                    <marker>I've just made some changes <a
                    href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>http://www.url_I_typed_in.com</a></marke
                    r>

                    BONG
                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 1999
                      At 02:54 PM 8/2/1999 +0300, Bong wrote:
                      >Larry's clip was so close to what I was wanting... that I'll risk to bother
                      >you for the last time (I MEAN it: if it fails now, please DO FORGET IT, I'll
                      >edit things manually and sorry for your wasted time)
                      >
                      >Before sample:
                      >
                      ><marker>hello people</marker>
                      >
                      >After sample:
                      >
                      ><marker>I've just made some <a
                      >href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>changes</a></marker>
                      >or
                      >changes</marker>
                      >or
                      >changes</marker>
                      >depending on which word I select
                      >
                      >Now Larry's clip results in:
                      ><marker>I've just made some changes <a
                      >href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>http://www.url_I_typed_in.com</a></marke
                      >r>

                      Something has been bugging me about this clip. Why do you need to have
                      your selection appear in the prompt? There is another way to do this.

                      If you replace my original clip code:

                      ^!Set %Var%=^?[(H=M)Make your changes:=^&]
                      ^!Set %Link%=^?[(H=M)Enter Hyperlink:Item=]
                      ^%Var%<A HREF="^%Link%">^%Link%</A>

                      With:

                      ^!Info ^$GetSelection$
                      ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=<a href=></a>}

                      You will get an info box with your selection in it. If you need any part
                      or all of the selection you can highlight/select it and copy it to the
                      clipboard. When you close the info box you will get a prompt with the html
                      tags already in it. Just click in the box to unhighlight the tags (or
                      press a cursor movement key - you don't want to replace them) and then
                      right-click on the end and paste in your copy. If you do not need to copy
                      the selection you can just type in your info in the prompt where it belongs
                      between the tags (again be careful not to type anything until you put the
                      prompt box into edit mode by using a cursor movement key or clicking in the
                      box, otherwise the tags will be replaced by what you type). You can also
                      select text (even in the prompt box) and then cut and paste it into the
                      tags where ever you want. When you are done click ok or hit enter and the
                      text and the tags will be used to replace the selection and will look just
                      like you see it in the prompt box when you are done typing. What you see
                      in the prompt box when you are done typing will replace your selection in
                      the document period.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      larryt@...
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 1999
                        Hi Bong,

                        Here is another prompt box. This one has a drop down list.
                        Replace:

                        ^!Info ^$GetSelection$
                        ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=<a href=></a>}

                        With:

                        ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=_^$GetSelection$<a href=></a>|<a
                        href=></a>|^$GetSelection$}

                        You will get a drop down prompt box that gives you the option to (1) have
                        your selection displayed with the tags so you can edit or change it around
                        (2) just the tags so you can enter new text or (3) just the selection to be
                        edited and changed. The reason for (3) is that I thought that since you
                        saaid that you were changing the one cell over and over again, after the
                        first change, the next time it was selected, the tags from the previous
                        change will be there so all you have to do is edit it.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        larryt@...