[Clip] Re: a temporary document instead of a prompt

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hi Bong,

      At 02:52 PM 8/1/1999 +0300, you wrote:
      >Upon coming to the conclusion that you don't seem to be able to get any clip
      >to do anything with the text you've just typed in a prompt, I thought it
      >would be nice to have a temporary document opened instead of the prompt.
      >However, things like ^!New Document can't substitute a prompt because they
      >do not allow you "to complete a Clip just before it is pasted in your
      >document". Any ideas?

      The clip below shows how to get a prompt to do something in a clip. The
      ^!SetClipboard sends what ever you type into the memo box to the clipboard
      and the ^!Toolbar Paste New opens a new doc and pastes it in. You can
      enlarge the memo box (temporarily) by dragging it or by clicking on the
      maximize button on the upper right corner if you wish. I say "temporarily"
      because every time you run the clip the box will be the default size and
      you will have to change it again although you can type into it without
      doing so.

      ---------< start clip >---------
      H="Prompt to New Doc"
      ^!SetClipboard ^?{(T=M)Enter Text=}
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ---------< end clip >-----------

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • BONG
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
        >^!^?[Enter commandline]
        >^!Open ^?[(T=O)Open file]
        >What is it you need to do?

        An htm document has a table with about 200 cells. I need to update one cell
        constantly and I don't want to open the doc, search for the cell, make
        changes, save them and close the doc every time, so I made a clip:

        ^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
        ^!Jump Doc_Start
        ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
        ^!Jump Select_End
        ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
        ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
        ^!Jump Select_Start
        ^!SelectTo ^%Start%
        ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
        ^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
        ^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

        As you can see I use a non-existent and invisible <marker> tag to mark the
        needed cell. In html it looks like this:

        Everything goes okay: I get the prompt and type in the changes. Like this:

        Blah blah, here are my changes.

        Then I want to select the word "changes" and make it a hyperlink, ie to use
        the appropriate clip. Halt. I can't do this. That is my situation and I'm
        ready to explain it once more with examples etc. Thanks for your help!

        BONG
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
          Hi BONG,

          > ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
          > ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
          > ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}

          > Then I want to select the word "changes" and make it a
          > hyperlink, ie to use the appropriate clip. Halt. I can't do
          > this.

          What can't you do at this point? The changes are made that you
          type in. Are you now trying to run a Clip on the new data that
          will make it into a link? If so, instead of using the prompt
          line use something like this:

          > ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
          ; Remove this: ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
          ^!Clip "Add Link"

          ^!Clip will call the following Clip:

          H=Add Link
          <A HREF="^?">^?</A>

          That will be inserted over the selection between your markers.

          Bye for now,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
            Hi Jody,

            At 11:24 AM 8/1/1999 -0500, you wrote:
            >H=Add Link
            ><A HREF="^?">^?</A>

            It seems like it should be: <A HREF="^&">^?</A>
            If that is what he wants.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
              Hi Bong,

              At 05:07 PM 8/1/1999 +0300, you wrote:
              >>^!^?[Enter commandline]
              >>^!Open ^?[(T=O)Open file]
              >>What is it you need to do?
              >
              >An htm document has a table with about 200 cells. I need to update one cell
              >constantly and I don't want to open the doc, search for the cell, make
              >changes, save them and close the doc every time, so I made a clip:
              >
              >^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
              >^!Jump Doc_Start
              >^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
              >^!Jump Select_End
              >^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              >^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
              >^!Jump Select_Start
              >^!SelectTo ^%Start%
              >^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
              >^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
              >^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

              As you can see from my last post, I even got it wrong ê¿ê . That is not
              going to stop me from trying to get it right though. I think I have a
              better idea than Jody. Instead of replacing your prompt, modify it from:

              ?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}

              ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=<A HREF="^$GetSelection$">^$GetSelection$</A>}

              and then you just edit the text that appears in the prompt and click "ok"
              and you should be there.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
                Ok Bong, This is my last try for today. I hope it works.

                At 05:07 PM 8/1/1999 +0300, you wrote:
                >>^!^?[Enter commandline]
                >>^!Open ^?[(T=O)Open file]
                >>What is it you need to do?
                >
                >An htm document has a table with about 200 cells. I need to update one cell
                >constantly and I don't want to open the doc, search for the cell, make
                >changes, save them and close the doc every time, so I made a clip:
                >
                >^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
                >^!Jump Doc_Start
                >^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
                >^!Jump Select_End
                >^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                >^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
                >^!Jump Select_Start
                >^!SelectTo ^%Start%
                >^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
                >^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
                >^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

                Here is my revision of your clip:

                ^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
                ^!Jump Doc_Start
                ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
                ^!Jump Select_End
                ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
                ^!Jump Select_Start
                ^!SelectTo ^%Start%

                ;I changed your prompt to two promts and sent the output to the clipboard.
                ;You type in your first change on the first prompt.
                ;Your changes are pasted and reselected for the second prompt.

                ^!SetClipboard ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=^$GetSelection$}
                ^!PasteSelect

                ;You select what you want as a hyperlink in the second prompt.
                ;Then right-click on your selection and copy it to the clipboard then click
                ok.

                ^!Set %Link%=^?{(H=M)Select & Copy Hyperlink:=^$GetSelection$}
                ^!Find "^$GetClipboard$" TISAH

                ;Find highlights what you selected thus reducing the selection to just what
                you
                ;want in the hyperlink.

                ^!Delay 10
                <A HREF="^$GetClipboard$">^$GetClipboard$</A>

                ;And the selection is hyperlinked.

                ^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
                ^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

                You may not like this but it is the only way that I could think to do it.
                You must 1) Select what you want in the hyperlink in the second prompt and
                2) right-click on the new selection and copy it to the clipboard before you
                click ok on the second prompt or else this will fail.

                Regards,

                Larry
                larryt@...
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
                  Ok Bong, This is a better one.

                  Here is my latest version 4:20 p.m. 8/1/99:

                  ^!Open c:\blah\blah.htm
                  ^!Jump Doc_Start
                  ^!Find "<marker>" TIAS
                  ^!Jump Select_End
                  ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                  ^!Find "</marker>" TIAS
                  ^!Jump Select_Start
                  ^!SelectTo ^%Start%

                  ;I changed your prompt to two prompts and sent the output to a Variable.
                  ;You type in your first line in the first box.
                  ;Type in what you want in the link in the second box and click ok.
                  ;In this clip the link will always be on the right.

                  ^!Set %Var%=^?[(H=M)Make your changes:=^&]
                  ^!Set %Link%=^?[(H=M)Enter Hyperlink:Item=]
                  ^%Var%<A HREF="^%Link%">^%Link%</A>

                  ;And the selection is hyperlinked.

                  ^!Save c:\blah\blah.htm
                  ^!Close c:\blah\blah.htm

                  This one does not require you to copy anything to the clipboard. Just
                  enter the two items in the two prompt boxes and click ok.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  larryt@...
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 1999
                    Hi Larry & Bong,

                    > ^!Set %Var%=^?[(H=M)Make your changes:=^&]
                    > ^!Set %Link%=^?[(H=M)Enter Hyperlink:Item=]
                    > ^%Var%<A HREF="^%Link%">^%Link%</A>

                    I was confused at what bong was wanting, but it appears that is
                    it. If not, pst a before and after sample of the text with your
                    marker tags.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 1999
                      >I was confused at what bong was wanting, but it appears that is
                      >it. If not, pst a before and after sample of the text with your
                      >marker tags.

                      Larry's clip was so close to what I was wanting... that I'll risk to bother
                      you for the last time (I MEAN it: if it fails now, please DO FORGET IT, I'll
                      edit things manually and sorry for your wasted time)

                      Before sample:

                      <marker>hello people</marker>

                      After sample:

                      <marker>I've just made some <a
                      href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>changes</a></marker>
                      or
                      changes</marker>
                      or
                      changes</marker>
                      depending on which word I select

                      Now Larry's clip results in:
                      <marker>I've just made some changes <a
                      href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>http://www.url_I_typed_in.com</a></marke
                      r>

                      BONG
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 1999
                        At 02:54 PM 8/2/1999 +0300, Bong wrote:
                        >Larry's clip was so close to what I was wanting... that I'll risk to bother
                        >you for the last time (I MEAN it: if it fails now, please DO FORGET IT, I'll
                        >edit things manually and sorry for your wasted time)
                        >
                        >Before sample:
                        >
                        ><marker>hello people</marker>
                        >
                        >After sample:
                        >
                        ><marker>I've just made some <a
                        >href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>changes</a></marker>
                        >or
                        >changes</marker>
                        >or
                        >changes</marker>
                        >depending on which word I select
                        >
                        >Now Larry's clip results in:
                        ><marker>I've just made some changes <a
                        >href=http://www.url_I_typed_in.com/>http://www.url_I_typed_in.com</a></marke
                        >r>

                        Something has been bugging me about this clip. Why do you need to have
                        your selection appear in the prompt? There is another way to do this.

                        If you replace my original clip code:

                        ^!Set %Var%=^?[(H=M)Make your changes:=^&]
                        ^!Set %Link%=^?[(H=M)Enter Hyperlink:Item=]
                        ^%Var%<A HREF="^%Link%">^%Link%</A>

                        With:

                        ^!Info ^$GetSelection$
                        ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=<a href=></a>}

                        You will get an info box with your selection in it. If you need any part
                        or all of the selection you can highlight/select it and copy it to the
                        clipboard. When you close the info box you will get a prompt with the html
                        tags already in it. Just click in the box to unhighlight the tags (or
                        press a cursor movement key - you don't want to replace them) and then
                        right-click on the end and paste in your copy. If you do not need to copy
                        the selection you can just type in your info in the prompt where it belongs
                        between the tags (again be careful not to type anything until you put the
                        prompt box into edit mode by using a cursor movement key or clicking in the
                        box, otherwise the tags will be replaced by what you type). You can also
                        select text (even in the prompt box) and then cut and paste it into the
                        tags where ever you want. When you are done click ok or hit enter and the
                        text and the tags will be used to replace the selection and will look just
                        like you see it in the prompt box when you are done typing. What you see
                        in the prompt box when you are done typing will replace your selection in
                        the document period.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        larryt@...
                      • Larry Thomas
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 1999
                          Hi Bong,

                          Here is another prompt box. This one has a drop down list.
                          Replace:

                          ^!Info ^$GetSelection$
                          ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=<a href=></a>}

                          With:

                          ^?{(H=M)Make your changes:=_^$GetSelection$<a href=></a>|<a
                          href=></a>|^$GetSelection$}

                          You will get a drop down prompt box that gives you the option to (1) have
                          your selection displayed with the tags so you can edit or change it around
                          (2) just the tags so you can enter new text or (3) just the selection to be
                          edited and changed. The reason for (3) is that I thought that since you
                          saaid that you were changing the one cell over and over again, after the
                          first change, the next time it was selected, the tags from the previous
                          change will be there so all you have to do is edit it.

                          Regards,

                          Larry
                          larryt@...