Re: [Clip] Sum of a column of numbers

  • loro
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
      At 15:18 2002.10.10, steveadausa wrote:
      > How do you guys obtain a sum from
      >a column of numbers?

      My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the same line)
      like so:

      2
      2=

      Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.

      2
      2=4

      Pure magic!

      Lotta
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
        > steveadausa wrote:
        >
        > How do you guys obtain a sum from
        > a column of numbers?
        >
        > Anyone have a good clip?
        >
        > Thanks, Steve Adams

        Steve,

        I didn't have a clip but put this together. You must mark the column
        before running the clip.

        When you use the keyboard command, Ctrl+E, to sum a marked (selected)
        column of figures the command auto-pastes the answer into the clipboard.

        All you need do to use the 'sum' elsewhere is set the clipboard contents
        to a variable, as this short (2 line) clip does, or access the clip
        board directly with ^!Paste or Ctrl+V or other command.

        This could be expanded to perform calcs other than sums if needed.

        H="column sum"
        ; first line sums the marked column
        ; and pastes sum into clipboard
        ; 2nd line sets the sum in the clipboard
        ; to the variable ^%columnsum%

        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+E &5 Enter
        ^!Set %columnsum%=^$GetClipboard$

        hrs
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hi Lotta,

          >At 15:18 2002.10.10, steveadausa wrote:
          >> How do you guys obtain a sum from a column of numbers?
          >
          >My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the same line)
          >like so:
          >
          >2
          >2=
          >
          >Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.
          >Pure magic!

          I'm not sure if I have it in my NoteBack Library which is the
          public version of what I use, but I can do "calc2*2" anywhere in
          an edit window/combobox w/o quotes and NoteTab (PasteBack)
          inserts: 2*2=4 It works great in a browser when "shopping" and
          you need to know the cost of multiple items w/o having to click
          on a link to get a total. ;)

          There was an error in my other post when I said to use Ctrl+E or
          Block | Sum. There latter should not have been there - duh
          x+x+x= cannot work with block sum. <g>

          Thanks Ville for the mention of NoteBlock. It is best to always
          go to my site for the latest Libraries and Clips of mine. I have
          not updated the Clipbook Repository in a couple years it seems.
          (Eric actually does the updating.)

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/ + zip file name.zip
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip
          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
          http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm

          http://www.notetab.net

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2002
            > Barrie J Lax wrote:
            >
            > Doesn't work for me! Maybe I misunderstood 'Select'.
            >
            > Bar.
            >
            > > My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the
            > > same line) like so:
            > >
            > > 2
            > > 2=
            > >
            > > Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.
            > >
            > > 2
            > > 2=4
            > >
            > > Pure magic!
            > >
            > > Lotta

            Barrie,

            This worksforme, in fact one can enter as below;

            2
            2=
            4

            with a carriage return after the equals sign and the sum will appear at
            the cursor position, below the bottom 2.

            hrs