RE: [Clip] Sum of a column of numbers

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
      Hi Hugo and Steve,

      If the block is the only data in a column you can select it and
      press Ctrl+E or put an equal sign behind the last figure and
      press Ctrl+E. Likewise, you can use equations in the edit window
      like (2+2)*4 (or (2+2)*4=) and use Ctrl+E. Note, if the column
      is over a certain amount of lines, I think about 40, then you
      will need to do a block copy and paste into a new document (if
      there is other data in other columns) and use a plus sign in
      between the figures. Find "^p" w/o the quotes and Replace with
      "+" without the quotes. Then Ctrl+E or Block Sum.

      Note: - is subtract, + is addition, * is multiply, and / is divide.

      I have some Clips in my NoteBlock Library to do what you want,
      perhaps cutting out some of the work. For instance, I have a
      column (1st and 2nd of about ten) that has $ in it and
      oftentimes much more than 40+ lines. The Clip will add it all up
      regardless of the $, spaces, new lines (^p), more than xxx lines,
      etc.

      Start trying the Clips about half way down the Library at:

      Add Block - Infobox...
      ; Last updated on 06-28-2000

      It is old code, but should still suffice. I think think work. <g>

      ;NoteBlock Get more Libraries at: http://www.notetab.net .
      Requires NoteTab version 4.6a or above
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip

      >Not a clip, but you can select a column (not visibly, just select
      >from the beginning of the column to the end of the column a few
      >lines lower) and go to Modify | Block | Sum.
      >
      >The result is shown in a box.

      http://www.notetab.net

    • Barrie J. Lax
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
        Doesn't work for me! Maybe I misunderstood 'Select'.

        Bar.

        > My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the same line)
        > like so:
        >
        > 2
        > 2=
        >
        > Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.
        >
        > 2
        > 2=4
        >
        > Pure magic!
        >
        > Lotta

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hugo

          That's neat: I sort of vaguely knew it was possible, but had never
          actually done it.

          If keyboarding its: Alt+M B S ... but ... is there any non-clip way to
          get that value into the clipboard so it can then be pasted into the
          original document or elsewhere as required?

          --
          Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2002
            Hi Barrie,

            >Doesn't work for me! Maybe I misunderstood 'Select'.

            Enter your figures in the document edit window, highlight the
            text (select), and press Ctrl and E at the same time (Ctrl+E).
            Actually, when working with just one line, the
            data does not have to be highlighted: 2*2*3 or 2*2*3=

            http://www.notetab.net