Re: Sum of a column of numbers

  • ville saalo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
      Hey Steve,
      Jody's NoteBlock library has got a clip for this.
      A direct link: http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/noteblock.zip

      -Ville

      10/10/2001 Steve Adams enscribed with a battle-axe named Cleaver:
      > How do you guys obtain a sum from
      >a column of numbers?
      >
      > Anyone have a good clip?
      >
      >Thanks, Steve Adams
    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
        At 15:18 2002.10.10, steveadausa wrote:
        > How do you guys obtain a sum from
        >a column of numbers?

        My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the same line)
        like so:

        2
        2=

        Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.

        2
        2=4

        Pure magic!

        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
          > steveadausa wrote:
          >
          > How do you guys obtain a sum from
          > a column of numbers?
          >
          > Anyone have a good clip?
          >
          > Thanks, Steve Adams

          Steve,

          I didn't have a clip but put this together. You must mark the column
          before running the clip.

          When you use the keyboard command, Ctrl+E, to sum a marked (selected)
          column of figures the command auto-pastes the answer into the clipboard.

          All you need do to use the 'sum' elsewhere is set the clipboard contents
          to a variable, as this short (2 line) clip does, or access the clip
          board directly with ^!Paste or Ctrl+V or other command.

          This could be expanded to perform calcs other than sums if needed.

          H="column sum"
          ; first line sums the marked column
          ; and pastes sum into clipboard
          ; 2nd line sets the sum in the clipboard
          ; to the variable ^%columnsum%

          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+E &5 Enter
          ^!Set %columnsum%=^$GetClipboard$

          hrs
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hi Lotta,

            >At 15:18 2002.10.10, steveadausa wrote:
            >> How do you guys obtain a sum from a column of numbers?
            >
            >My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the same line)
            >like so:
            >
            >2
            >2=
            >
            >Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.
            >Pure magic!

            I'm not sure if I have it in my NoteBack Library which is the
            public version of what I use, but I can do "calc2*2" anywhere in
            an edit window/combobox w/o quotes and NoteTab (PasteBack)
            inserts: 2*2=4 It works great in a browser when "shopping" and
            you need to know the cost of multiple items w/o having to click
            on a link to get a total. ;)

            There was an error in my other post when I said to use Ctrl+E or
            Block | Sum. There latter should not have been there - duh
            x+x+x= cannot work with block sum. <g>

            Thanks Ville for the mention of NoteBlock. It is best to always
            go to my site for the latest Libraries and Clips of mine. I have
            not updated the Clipbook Repository in a couple years it seems.
            (Eric actually does the updating.)

            http://www.notetab.net/zip/ + zip file name.zip
            http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip
            http://www.notetab.net
            http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
            http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm

            http://www.notetab.net

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2002
              > Barrie J Lax wrote:
              >
              > Doesn't work for me! Maybe I misunderstood 'Select'.
              >
              > Bar.
              >
              > > My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the
              > > same line) like so:
              > >
              > > 2
              > > 2=
              > >
              > > Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.
              > >
              > > 2
              > > 2=4
              > >
              > > Pure magic!
              > >
              > > Lotta

              Barrie,

              This worksforme, in fact one can enter as below;

              2
              2=
              4

              with a carriage return after the equals sign and the sum will appear at
              the cursor position, below the bottom 2.

              hrs