RE: [Clip] Sum of a column of numbers

  • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
      Not a clip, but you can select a column (not visibly, just select from the
      beginning of the column to the end of the column a few lines lower) and go
      to Modify | Block | Sum.

      The result is shown in a box.

      Hugo

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
        Hi Hugo and Steve,

        If the block is the only data in a column you can select it and
        press Ctrl+E or put an equal sign behind the last figure and
        press Ctrl+E. Likewise, you can use equations in the edit window
        like (2+2)*4 (or (2+2)*4=) and use Ctrl+E. Note, if the column
        is over a certain amount of lines, I think about 40, then you
        will need to do a block copy and paste into a new document (if
        there is other data in other columns) and use a plus sign in
        between the figures. Find "^p" w/o the quotes and Replace with
        "+" without the quotes. Then Ctrl+E or Block Sum.

        Note: - is subtract, + is addition, * is multiply, and / is divide.

        I have some Clips in my NoteBlock Library to do what you want,
        perhaps cutting out some of the work. For instance, I have a
        column (1st and 2nd of about ten) that has $ in it and
        oftentimes much more than 40+ lines. The Clip will add it all up
        regardless of the $, spaces, new lines (^p), more than xxx lines,
        etc.

        Start trying the Clips about half way down the Library at:

        Add Block - Infobox...
        ; Last updated on 06-28-2000

        It is old code, but should still suffice. I think think work. <g>

        ;NoteBlock Get more Libraries at: http://www.notetab.net .
        Requires NoteTab version 4.6a or above
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip

        >Not a clip, but you can select a column (not visibly, just select
        >from the beginning of the column to the end of the column a few
        >lines lower) and go to Modify | Block | Sum.
        >
        >The result is shown in a box.

        http://www.notetab.net

      • Barrie J. Lax
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
          Doesn't work for me! Maybe I misunderstood 'Select'.

          Bar.

          > My favorite. Add an equal sign after the last number (on the same line)
          > like so:
          >
          > 2
          > 2=
          >
          > Select, hit CTRL + E and the sum will print after the equal sign.
          >
          > 2
          > 2=4
          >
          > Pure magic!
          >
          > Lotta

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hugo

            That's neat: I sort of vaguely knew it was possible, but had never
            actually done it.

            If keyboarding its: Alt+M B S ... but ... is there any non-clip way to
            get that value into the clipboard so it can then be pasted into the
            original document or elsewhere as required?

            --
            Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2002
              Hi Barrie,

              >Doesn't work for me! Maybe I misunderstood 'Select'.

              Enter your figures in the document edit window, highlight the
              text (select), and press Ctrl and E at the same time (Ctrl+E).
              Actually, when working with just one line, the
              data does not have to be highlighted: 2*2*3 or 2*2*3=

              http://www.notetab.net