Getting started

  • Basil Barnes
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
      Hi:

      I'm an absolute newbie at using Note Tab (although an old hand at using
      computers), and I'm having a little trouble getting started. I have Note
      Tab Pro, and all the talk about clips and so on assume that I know how to
      write a clip, where to put it and even how to activate it.

      Is there a programming manual or something similar available that will take
      somebody such as myself from zero to 100 kmh in 5 seconds? I'm sure that
      once I'm brought up to speed, so to speak, I'll be able to understand what
      everybody is talking about.

      How on earth does one get started?

      Basil Barnes

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
        Hi Basil,

        You will want to read through the Clip Basics topic in Notetab Main
        help file as well as all the topics in the separate Clipcode help
        file (see Help|Help on Clip Programming). I would also advise
        activating the Clip Assistant in the Quick List (toggle on
        Tools|Quick List, then select Clip Assistant under Tools|Quick List
        Properties). This allows you to create clips without knowing the
        syntax by heart.

        For answers to your most basic orientation questions, I would suggest
        you download Jim Hall's Basic Clip Basics (despite my recent
        disagreements with Jim Hall, I think that's a nice graphical
        introduction to navigating Clips).

        http://www.jimbow.com/basicclipbasics.zip

        Jody Adair's Clip Class is a great tutorial, but I believe it needs
        to be updated to include the latest commands and functions. In
        particular, you should be aware that ^!Menu commands now give direct
        access to some Notetab features which were previously accessible only
        with ^!Keyboard commands.

        http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hi Sheri and Jim,

          In a rush... ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty% should do it. (Or,
          ^!SaveClipboard/RestoreClipboard ???)

          Also, in short, I think both of you have valid issues overall,
          especially when Jim mentioned a solid foundation. I've only
          taught for maybe 5 years in various environments, but do know for
          sure that the foundation must be built and solid to get a good
          understand of the rest.

          Most people that start my ClipClass bail out around lessons 4-5,
          because from there they can figure out the rest by simply reading
          Help on Clip programming as needed and going through the index of
          commands and functions.

          I also agree with the use of the ^!Keyboard command Sheri, but
          yet there are times when it is definitely needed as you know
          already. Like Jim said though, that is not the only issue with
          timing. The use of ^!FocusApp, ^$GetAppTitle$ ^$SrtCopy(...)$,
          and more of the related commands/functions definitely have timing
          issues as you know, but you will also find that that it is a must
          to use ^!Keyboard and find at times it will interfere with other
          shortcuts.

          So much for a short in a rush post... got lots of mail to answer.
          See ya later... ;)

          http://www.notetab.net