[Clip] Re: Two Views of the Same File

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., Jim Hall <jehall@j...> wrote:
      > Since I wrote this Clip to be able to copy and paste from
      > the top of the file to the bottom of the same file, the
      > clipboard is cleared per se with the first copy-paste I do.

      ???

      Text on the Windows clipboard resides in memory, separate from your
      pasted file buffer. It can be pasted again and again until it is
      cleared. It stays on the clipboard even after Notetab is closed
      unless you arbitrarily use it for copying some other text there. And
      if a large amount of text is on it, it weighs on performance when if
      virtual memory consequently comes into play.

    • Basil Barnes
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
        Hi:

        I'm an absolute newbie at using Note Tab (although an old hand at using
        computers), and I'm having a little trouble getting started. I have Note
        Tab Pro, and all the talk about clips and so on assume that I know how to
        write a clip, where to put it and even how to activate it.

        Is there a programming manual or something similar available that will take
        somebody such as myself from zero to 100 kmh in 5 seconds? I'm sure that
        once I'm brought up to speed, so to speak, I'll be able to understand what
        everybody is talking about.

        How on earth does one get started?

        Basil Barnes

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hi Basil,

          You will want to read through the Clip Basics topic in Notetab Main
          help file as well as all the topics in the separate Clipcode help
          file (see Help|Help on Clip Programming). I would also advise
          activating the Clip Assistant in the Quick List (toggle on
          Tools|Quick List, then select Clip Assistant under Tools|Quick List
          Properties). This allows you to create clips without knowing the
          syntax by heart.

          For answers to your most basic orientation questions, I would suggest
          you download Jim Hall's Basic Clip Basics (despite my recent
          disagreements with Jim Hall, I think that's a nice graphical
          introduction to navigating Clips).

          http://www.jimbow.com/basicclipbasics.zip

          Jody Adair's Clip Class is a great tutorial, but I believe it needs
          to be updated to include the latest commands and functions. In
          particular, you should be aware that ^!Menu commands now give direct
          access to some Notetab features which were previously accessible only
          with ^!Keyboard commands.

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hi Sheri and Jim,

            In a rush... ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty% should do it. (Or,
            ^!SaveClipboard/RestoreClipboard ???)

            Also, in short, I think both of you have valid issues overall,
            especially when Jim mentioned a solid foundation. I've only
            taught for maybe 5 years in various environments, but do know for
            sure that the foundation must be built and solid to get a good
            understand of the rest.

            Most people that start my ClipClass bail out around lessons 4-5,
            because from there they can figure out the rest by simply reading
            Help on Clip programming as needed and going through the index of
            commands and functions.

            I also agree with the use of the ^!Keyboard command Sheri, but
            yet there are times when it is definitely needed as you know
            already. Like Jim said though, that is not the only issue with
            timing. The use of ^!FocusApp, ^$GetAppTitle$ ^$SrtCopy(...)$,
            and more of the related commands/functions definitely have timing
            issues as you know, but you will also find that that it is a must
            to use ^!Keyboard and find at times it will interfere with other
            shortcuts.

            So much for a short in a rush post... got lots of mail to answer.
            See ya later... ;)

            http://www.notetab.net