Re: Keyboard Commands (was Two Views of the Same File)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
      Hi Julie,

      --- In ntb-clips@y..., Julie <jlg61@m...> wrote:
      > My biggest problem occurs when using the keyboard shortcuts
      > with the Keyboard commands instead of the Menu options, or
      > just using some of the keyboard shortcuts assigned in the
      > program. When I use shift+ctrl+P to turn on/off the
      > pasteboard feature PaintShop Pro opens. Shift+ctrl+Q
      > (Unquote Text) opens up QuickVerse :-). Oh well. For me the
      > keyboard's quicker than the mouse!

      LOL! Are you listening Jim? Not only are Keyboard commands prone to
      timing issues, but also to user customization issues. How well are
      clips dependent on set keystrokes to a Menu command going to work if
      the user has reassigned that key to a different command via
      Shortcuts.dat or Windows shortcuts? This may not matter for your own
      private clips, but its a big compatibility issue for shared clips.

      > I do enjoy seeing how Clips can be accomplished in different
      > ways :-).

      Thanks Julie <g>

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
        --- In ntb-clips@y..., Jim Hall <jehall@j...> wrote:
        > Since I wrote this Clip to be able to copy and paste from
        > the top of the file to the bottom of the same file, the
        > clipboard is cleared per se with the first copy-paste I do.

        ???

        Text on the Windows clipboard resides in memory, separate from your
        pasted file buffer. It can be pasted again and again until it is
        cleared. It stays on the clipboard even after Notetab is closed
        unless you arbitrarily use it for copying some other text there. And
        if a large amount of text is on it, it weighs on performance when if
        virtual memory consequently comes into play.

      • Basil Barnes
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hi:

          I'm an absolute newbie at using Note Tab (although an old hand at using
          computers), and I'm having a little trouble getting started. I have Note
          Tab Pro, and all the talk about clips and so on assume that I know how to
          write a clip, where to put it and even how to activate it.

          Is there a programming manual or something similar available that will take
          somebody such as myself from zero to 100 kmh in 5 seconds? I'm sure that
          once I'm brought up to speed, so to speak, I'll be able to understand what
          everybody is talking about.

          How on earth does one get started?

          Basil Barnes

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hi Basil,

            You will want to read through the Clip Basics topic in Notetab Main
            help file as well as all the topics in the separate Clipcode help
            file (see Help|Help on Clip Programming). I would also advise
            activating the Clip Assistant in the Quick List (toggle on
            Tools|Quick List, then select Clip Assistant under Tools|Quick List
            Properties). This allows you to create clips without knowing the
            syntax by heart.

            For answers to your most basic orientation questions, I would suggest
            you download Jim Hall's Basic Clip Basics (despite my recent
            disagreements with Jim Hall, I think that's a nice graphical
            introduction to navigating Clips).

            http://www.jimbow.com/basicclipbasics.zip

            Jody Adair's Clip Class is a great tutorial, but I believe it needs
            to be updated to include the latest commands and functions. In
            particular, you should be aware that ^!Menu commands now give direct
            access to some Notetab features which were previously accessible only
            with ^!Keyboard commands.

            http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
              Hi Sheri and Jim,

              In a rush... ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty% should do it. (Or,
              ^!SaveClipboard/RestoreClipboard ???)

              Also, in short, I think both of you have valid issues overall,
              especially when Jim mentioned a solid foundation. I've only
              taught for maybe 5 years in various environments, but do know for
              sure that the foundation must be built and solid to get a good
              understand of the rest.

              Most people that start my ClipClass bail out around lessons 4-5,
              because from there they can figure out the rest by simply reading
              Help on Clip programming as needed and going through the index of
              commands and functions.

              I also agree with the use of the ^!Keyboard command Sheri, but
              yet there are times when it is definitely needed as you know
              already. Like Jim said though, that is not the only issue with
              timing. The use of ^!FocusApp, ^$GetAppTitle$ ^$SrtCopy(...)$,
              and more of the related commands/functions definitely have timing
              issues as you know, but you will also find that that it is a must
              to use ^!Keyboard and find at times it will interfere with other
              shortcuts.

              So much for a short in a rush post... got lots of mail to answer.
              See ya later... ;)

              http://www.notetab.net