Keyboard Commands (was Two Views of the Same File)

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
      Hi Sheri,

      >If you wanted, you could update it to use a few of the newer Clip
      >commands. Substituting the following between your two Save commands
      >avoids the Keyboard commands and doesn't disturb the clipboard.

      My biggest problem occurs when using the keyboard shortcuts with the
      Keyboard commands instead of the Menu options, or just using some of the
      keyboard shortcuts assigned in the program. When I use shift+ctrl+P to turn
      on/off the pasteboard feature PaintShop Pro opens. Shift+ctrl+Q (Unquote
      Text) opens up QuickVerse :-). Oh well. For me the keyboard's quicker than
      the mouse!

      I do enjoy seeing how Clips can be accomplished in different ways :-).

      Julie,
      keyboard advocate <G>
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
        Hi Julie,

        --- In ntb-clips@y..., Julie <jlg61@m...> wrote:
        > My biggest problem occurs when using the keyboard shortcuts
        > with the Keyboard commands instead of the Menu options, or
        > just using some of the keyboard shortcuts assigned in the
        > program. When I use shift+ctrl+P to turn on/off the
        > pasteboard feature PaintShop Pro opens. Shift+ctrl+Q
        > (Unquote Text) opens up QuickVerse :-). Oh well. For me the
        > keyboard's quicker than the mouse!

        LOL! Are you listening Jim? Not only are Keyboard commands prone to
        timing issues, but also to user customization issues. How well are
        clips dependent on set keystrokes to a Menu command going to work if
        the user has reassigned that key to a different command via
        Shortcuts.dat or Windows shortcuts? This may not matter for your own
        private clips, but its a big compatibility issue for shared clips.

        > I do enjoy seeing how Clips can be accomplished in different
        > ways :-).

        Thanks Julie <g>

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., Jim Hall <jehall@j...> wrote:
          > Since I wrote this Clip to be able to copy and paste from
          > the top of the file to the bottom of the same file, the
          > clipboard is cleared per se with the first copy-paste I do.

          ???

          Text on the Windows clipboard resides in memory, separate from your
          pasted file buffer. It can be pasted again and again until it is
          cleared. It stays on the clipboard even after Notetab is closed
          unless you arbitrarily use it for copying some other text there. And
          if a large amount of text is on it, it weighs on performance when if
          virtual memory consequently comes into play.

        • Basil Barnes
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hi:

            I'm an absolute newbie at using Note Tab (although an old hand at using
            computers), and I'm having a little trouble getting started. I have Note
            Tab Pro, and all the talk about clips and so on assume that I know how to
            write a clip, where to put it and even how to activate it.

            Is there a programming manual or something similar available that will take
            somebody such as myself from zero to 100 kmh in 5 seconds? I'm sure that
            once I'm brought up to speed, so to speak, I'll be able to understand what
            everybody is talking about.

            How on earth does one get started?

            Basil Barnes

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
              Hi Basil,

              You will want to read through the Clip Basics topic in Notetab Main
              help file as well as all the topics in the separate Clipcode help
              file (see Help|Help on Clip Programming). I would also advise
              activating the Clip Assistant in the Quick List (toggle on
              Tools|Quick List, then select Clip Assistant under Tools|Quick List
              Properties). This allows you to create clips without knowing the
              syntax by heart.

              For answers to your most basic orientation questions, I would suggest
              you download Jim Hall's Basic Clip Basics (despite my recent
              disagreements with Jim Hall, I think that's a nice graphical
              introduction to navigating Clips).

              http://www.jimbow.com/basicclipbasics.zip

              Jody Adair's Clip Class is a great tutorial, but I believe it needs
              to be updated to include the latest commands and functions. In
              particular, you should be aware that ^!Menu commands now give direct
              access to some Notetab features which were previously accessible only
              with ^!Keyboard commands.

              http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
                Hi Sheri and Jim,

                In a rush... ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty% should do it. (Or,
                ^!SaveClipboard/RestoreClipboard ???)

                Also, in short, I think both of you have valid issues overall,
                especially when Jim mentioned a solid foundation. I've only
                taught for maybe 5 years in various environments, but do know for
                sure that the foundation must be built and solid to get a good
                understand of the rest.

                Most people that start my ClipClass bail out around lessons 4-5,
                because from there they can figure out the rest by simply reading
                Help on Clip programming as needed and going through the index of
                commands and functions.

                I also agree with the use of the ^!Keyboard command Sheri, but
                yet there are times when it is definitely needed as you know
                already. Like Jim said though, that is not the only issue with
                timing. The use of ^!FocusApp, ^$GetAppTitle$ ^$SrtCopy(...)$,
                and more of the related commands/functions definitely have timing
                issues as you know, but you will also find that that it is a must
                to use ^!Keyboard and find at times it will interfere with other
                shortcuts.

                So much for a short in a rush post... got lots of mail to answer.
                See ya later... ;)

                http://www.notetab.net