RE: [Clip] Is NoteTab Lite with Clips good for newsletter templat es?

  • Kevin Witherite
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
      Thank you, your suggestion worked perfectly. Is there a benefit to using
      curly braces over square brackets?

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
        > Kevin Witherite wrote:
        >
        > Thank you, your suggestion worked perfectly. Is there
        > a benefit to using curly braces over square brackets?

        Hi Kevin,

        I sent a second email, with an altered example, was it of any use?

        One critical thing I noticed in your clip, you have 4 clip wizards in it
        that are identical, as, ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].

        You could have a dozen wizards in a clip and if the prompts were
        identical you only get one entry choice instead of a dozen.

        This is you original posted clip, only the prompts have been altered.
        You get a 4 entry clip wizard when run, still won't work if the
        destination isn't valid. Run it just to display the dialog, then cancel.

        h=test
        ^!CopyFile "\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[sourcefolder 5 Digit Job
        Number=]\MBS\Zip File\^?[sourcefile 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"
        "C:\MBS_Jobs\^?[destfolder 5 Digit Job Number=]\^?[destfile 5 Digit Job
        Number=].zip"

        REMEMBER, THE PROMPTS CANNOT BE IDENTICAL, UNLESS YOU PLAN IT THAT WAY.

        See the test2 clip below, after making sure the paths and are correct,
        I think you'll like it.

        Go to, Help > Help on Clip Programming > click on index tab and
        waydownthelist > Clip Wizards and Fields. That will help to explain the
        main differences between the two.

        quick example,

        h="test1"
        ^!Set %fromfolder%="\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?{from subfolder- 5 Digit Job
        Number=}\MBS\Zip File\^?{from filename- 5 Digit Job Number=}.zip";
        %tofolder%="c:\mbs_jobs\^?{to subfolder- 5 Digit Job Number=}\"

        ^!MkDir "^%tofolder%"
        ^!CopyFile "^%fromfolder%" "^%tofolder%^?{to filename- Enter 5 Digit Job
        Number=}.zip"

        h="test2"
        ^!Set %fromfolder%="\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[from subfolder- 5 Digit Job
        Number=]\MBS\Zip File\^?[from filename- 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"
        ^!Set %tofolder%="c:\mbs_jobs\^?[to subfolder- 5 Digit Job Number=]\"

        ^!MkDir "^%tofolder%"
        ^!CopyFile "^%fromfolder%" "^%tofolder%^?[to filename- Enter 5 Digit Job
        Number=].zip"

        hrs
      • Kevin Witherite
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
          I have not tried your second email, altered example, as of yet. The
          prompts, clip wizards, were all to be the same so that worked fine.
          I have printed out the section on "Clip Wizards and Fields" along with your
          examples to review this evening. Thanks again for your assistance.

          Another question, am I missing something between the following lines in a
          clip? Individually they work fine but put them together in a single clip
          and it stops after the first ^!FocusApp is run. Any idea's?

          ;;MBS (Print Shipper)
          ^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
          ^!FocusApp MBS2
          ^!Delay 30
          ^!Keyboard Enter #^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]# Enter

          ;;STOPS HERE

          WinZip (Extract DXF's)
          ^!Shell ""C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE""
          ^!FocusApp *WinZip
          ^!Delay 15
          ^!Keyboard Alt+F O Alt+I ;;File/Open .... File
          Selection
          ^!FocusApp *WinZip
          ^!Delay 400
          ^!Keyboard Alt+A E #J:\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\MBS\DXF Drawings#
          Alt+I #*.dxf# Enter

          Kevin.............

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
            > Kevin Witherite wrote:
            >
            > Another question, am I missing something between the following
            > lines in a clip? Individually they work fine but put them
            > together in a single clip and it stops after the first
            > ^!FocusApp is run. Any idea's?
            >
            > Kevin.............

            Hi Kevin,

            > Is there a benefit to using curly braces over
            > square brackets?

            > REMEMBER, THE PROMPTS CANNOT BE IDENTICAL, UNLESS
            > YOU PLAN IT THAT WAY.

            > One critical thing I noticed in your clip,
            > you have 4 clip wizards in it that are identical,
            > as, ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].

            > You could have a dozen wizards in a clip and if the prompts were
            > identical you only get one entry choice instead of a dozen.

            This is one of the cases where curly braces should work.

            With square brackets and identical prompts - ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job
            Number=] - both ^!Keyboard wizards are evaluated simultaneously when you
            start the clip, and you would never get the prompt for the second wizard.

            Curly braces are not evaluated until the progression in the clip reaches
            the line they are in. They are evaluated like any other clip command or
            function, when the running clip gets to them.

            In this case identical prompts don't pose a problem.

            I can't test this clip of course because my setup differs greatly from
            yours.

            Mainly, the only thing changed are the brackets to braces. I omited the
            double-double quotes you had around the path.
            You may have to replace them but if it works it should work with
            single-double quotes.

            H="MBS (Print Shipper)"
            ^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
            ^!FocusApp MBS2
            ^!Delay 30
            ^!Keyboard Enter #^?{Enter 5 Digit Job Number=}# Enter
            ;
            ; STOPS HERE
            ;