RE: [Clip] Is NoteTab Lite with Clips good for newsletter templat es?

  • Kevin Witherite
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27, 2002
      How do I use a program once I have shelled out to it from NoteTab? I've
      tried Alt+F and such but the program doesn't seem to have the focus.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2002
        Hello Kevin,

        >How do I use a program once I have shelled out to it from NoteTab? I've
        >tried Alt+F and such but the program doesn't seem to have the focus.

        If you don't want to focus it with either the mouse or Windows methods:

        My reply assumes you've used Notetab's ^!Shell command and that the program you speak of has been launched (executed).

        help > help on clip programming > index tab > ^!FocusApp > click the display button

        Additionally, keystrokes from NoteTab: check out the samplecode clip library, especially its keyboard macros section, for demonstrative examples.

        Also, neat stuff can be found in the utilities library.

        At (visual listing of a library's clips) In the clip combo box (library content displayer window) you can right click on any clip from the window's listing of clips. After right click then choose "edit clip". After that, it is optional to do any editing. But this is how to view various clips. Most clips include comments to help with understanding/learning.

        --
        Alan.
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2002
          Hi Kevin,

          >How do I use a program once I have shelled out to it from
          >NoteTab? I've tried Alt+F and such but the program doesn't seem
          >to have the focus.

          Are you doing it in a Clip? How are you doing to shell?

          >> So, it is possible, and how would I: Create a template that
          >> would insert a heading, a date and a disclaimer into a txt file?

          I don't think I mentioned it, but you type the information in the
          Clip itself. Just click on the Clip when you want it all to
          start your new newsletter.

          ><--- Copy below this line --->
          >H=Newsletter Clip
          >; http:/www.notetab.net, Jody
          >^!Toolbar New Document
          >Type your heading here.
          >
          >^$GetDate(mmmm dd, yyyy)$ (See Date and Time filters in Help.)
          >
          >After clicking Clip paste your body here. Uh, try the body
          >of your newsletter. <g>
          >
          >Type in your Disclaimer here.
          >
          ><--- Copy above this line --->
          ><--- Right click over a Library --->
          ><--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

          http://www.notetab.net

        • Kevin Witherite
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
            Yes I am doing it as a clip. I am inserting the following line in the clip:

            ^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
            ^!Keyboard Alt+F S Alt+F C Enter

            The clip shells to the program but does not execute the ^!Keyboard Alt+F S
            Alt+F C Enter

            >How do I use a program once I have shelled out to it from
            >NoteTab? I've tried Alt+F and such but the program doesn't seem
            >to have the focus.

            Are you doing it in a Clip? How are you doing to shell?

            >> So, it is possible, and how would I: Create a template that
            >> would insert a heading, a date and a disclaimer into a txt file?

            I don't think I mentioned it, but you type the information in the
            Clip itself. Just click on the Clip when you want it all to
            start your new newsletter.

            ><--- Copy below this line --->
            >H=Newsletter Clip
            >; http:/www.notetab.net, Jody
            >^!Toolbar New Document
            >Type your heading here.
            >
            >^$GetDate(mmmm dd, yyyy)$ (See Date and Time filters in Help.)
            >
            >After clicking Clip paste your body here. Uh, try the body
            >of your newsletter. <g>
            >
            >Type in your Disclaimer here.
            >
            ><--- Copy above this line --->
            ><--- Right click over a Library --->
            ><--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

            http://www.notetab.net

          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
              Hi Kevin,

              >Yes I am doing it as a clip. I am inserting the following line in the clip:
              >
              >^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
              ^!Delay 5
              >^!Keyboard Alt+F S Alt+F C Enter

              Have you experimented with trying the delay command as I have inserted above?

              NoteTab sequences rather fast. Sometimes I've found that the keyboard commands its keystrokes get issued too soon, even before the executed app is fully opened and focused.

              ^!Keyboard will not accomplish its task unless the receiver app is in focus. The receiver app must be the currently focused app whenever the ^!Keyboard is let loose (parsed and executed)

              You might even try, instead of 5, try 30 or a little more for the delay amount. Then you'd have time to quickly manually bring the app to focus right quick, just before Notetab sends it the keystrokes. (potential trouble shooting)

              Instead of the delay, maybe could be made to work: a loop utilizing ^!Focusapp

              --
              HTH Alan.
            • Alan C.
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
                (Don your post triggered my memory) I'd forgotton about ifappopen or I'd a already sent this one that I use

                as far as the skip_2 is concerned, the commented line is not considered to be a 3rd line

                ^!IfAppOpen "NetCaptor" skip_2
                ^!Shell ^$GetShort("D:\Programs\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe")$
                ; ^!Shell ^$GetShort("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe")$
                ^!delay 7
                ^!FocusApp "NetCaptor"
                ; ^!FocusApp "*Microsoft Internet Explorer"
                ^!Set %spot%=^?[(H=30)choose one to launch==www.notetab.com|www.notetab.net]
                ^!URL ^%spot%
                ;--end--

                it gets my web browser in focus irregardless of whether it was previously open or not. Then it sends a url command to my web browser and off I go, surfing to a web site. (might be overkill for a web browser since I'm unaware if the browser need be focused in order to receive the ^!URL command) But, the above code does demo a possible method with which to get an app focused prior to sending keystroke ^!Keyboard command

                --
                Alan.
              • Kevin Witherite
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
                  New problem, I am trying to copy an existing file from one directory to
                  another directory with the following in a clip:

                  ^!CopyFile "\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\MBS\Zip
                  File\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip" "C:\MBS_Jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job
                  Number=]\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"

                  The above clip does not work, any idea's?

                  >Yes I am doing it as a clip. I am inserting the following line in the
                  clip:

                  >^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
                  ^!Delay 5
                  >^!Keyboard Alt+F S Alt+F C Enter

                  Have you experimented with trying the delay command as I have inserted
                  above?

                  NoteTab sequences rather fast. Sometimes I've found that the keyboard
                  commands its keystrokes get issued too soon, even before the executed app is
                  fully opened and focused.

                  ^!Keyboard will not accomplish its task unless the receiver app is in focus.
                  The receiver app must be the currently focused app whenever the ^!Keyboard
                  is let loose (parsed and executed)

                  You might even try, instead of 5, try 30 or a little more for the delay
                  amount. Then you'd have time to quickly manually bring the app to focus
                  right quick, just before Notetab sends it the keystrokes. (potential
                  trouble shooting)

                  Instead of the delay, maybe could be made to work: a loop utilizing
                  ^!Focusapp

                  --
                  HTH Alan.

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
                    > Kevin Witherite wrote:
                    >
                    > New problem, I am trying to copy an existing file from one
                    > directory to another directory with the following in a clip:
                    >
                    > ^!CopyFile "\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\
                    > MBS\Zip File\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip" "C:\MBS_Jobs\
                    > ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"
                    >
                    > The above clip does not work, any idea's?

                    Hi Kevin,

                    I have and idea, have recently confronted, what seems to be, this
                    problem myself.

                    The above ^!CopyFile commands fall apart if the copy to folder doesn't
                    exist when you try to copy.

                    You'll need a ^!MkDir command or, you'll need to set some variables to
                    use in a ^!MkDir command prior to copying.

                    Here's a sample, to give you an idea. You might consider changing the
                    square brackets to curly braces also.

                    ^!Set %fromfolder%="\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job
                    Number=]\MBS\Zip File\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"

                    ^!Set %tofolder%="c:\mbs_jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\^?[Enter 5
                    Digit Job Number=].zip"

                    ^!MkDir "^%tofolder%"

                    ^!CopyFile "^%fromfolder%" "^%tofolder%"

                    hrs
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
                      > hsavage wrote:
                      >
                      > Kevin Witherite wrote:
                      >
                      > New problem, I am trying to copy an existing file from one
                      > directory to another directory with the following in a clip:
                      >
                      > ^!CopyFile "\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\
                      > MBS\Zip File\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip" "C:\MBS_Jobs\
                      > ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"
                      >
                      > The above clip does not work, any idea's?
                      >
                      > Hi Kevin,
                      >
                      > I have and idea, have recently confronted, what seems to be, this
                      > problem myself.
                      >
                      > The above ^!CopyFile commands fall apart if the copy to folder doesn't
                      > exist when you try to copy.
                      >
                      > You'll need a ^!MkDir command or, you'll need to set some variables to
                      > use in a ^!MkDir command prior to copying.
                      >
                      > Here's a sample, to give you an idea. You might consider changing the
                      > square brackets to curly braces also.
                      >
                      > hrs

                      Here's a sample, to give you an idea.

                      This is closer to the form the clip should be. With this form forget
                      about changing the square brackets.

                      ^!Set %fromfolder%="\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job
                      Number=]\MBS\Zip File\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"

                      ^!Set %tofolder%="c:\mbs_jobs\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\"

                      ^!MkDir "^%tofolder%"

                      ^!CopyFile "^%fromfolder%" "^%tofolder%^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"

                      hrs
                    • Larry Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
                        Kevin,

                        I built a clip last week to move several files between multiple locations on
                        my PC and the network.

                        I was not able to get the UNC \\computername to work, so I had to use a
                        mapped drive.

                        I have not used any other clip commands across the network, so I am not sure
                        which ones are supposed to work with \\computername.

                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
                          Thank you, your suggestion worked perfectly. Is there a benefit to using
                          curly braces over square brackets?

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
                            > Kevin Witherite wrote:
                            >
                            > Thank you, your suggestion worked perfectly. Is there
                            > a benefit to using curly braces over square brackets?

                            Hi Kevin,

                            I sent a second email, with an altered example, was it of any use?

                            One critical thing I noticed in your clip, you have 4 clip wizards in it
                            that are identical, as, ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].

                            You could have a dozen wizards in a clip and if the prompts were
                            identical you only get one entry choice instead of a dozen.

                            This is you original posted clip, only the prompts have been altered.
                            You get a 4 entry clip wizard when run, still won't work if the
                            destination isn't valid. Run it just to display the dialog, then cancel.

                            h=test
                            ^!CopyFile "\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[sourcefolder 5 Digit Job
                            Number=]\MBS\Zip File\^?[sourcefile 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"
                            "C:\MBS_Jobs\^?[destfolder 5 Digit Job Number=]\^?[destfile 5 Digit Job
                            Number=].zip"

                            REMEMBER, THE PROMPTS CANNOT BE IDENTICAL, UNLESS YOU PLAN IT THAT WAY.

                            See the test2 clip below, after making sure the paths and are correct,
                            I think you'll like it.

                            Go to, Help > Help on Clip Programming > click on index tab and
                            waydownthelist > Clip Wizards and Fields. That will help to explain the
                            main differences between the two.

                            quick example,

                            h="test1"
                            ^!Set %fromfolder%="\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?{from subfolder- 5 Digit Job
                            Number=}\MBS\Zip File\^?{from filename- 5 Digit Job Number=}.zip";
                            %tofolder%="c:\mbs_jobs\^?{to subfolder- 5 Digit Job Number=}\"

                            ^!MkDir "^%tofolder%"
                            ^!CopyFile "^%fromfolder%" "^%tofolder%^?{to filename- Enter 5 Digit Job
                            Number=}.zip"

                            h="test2"
                            ^!Set %fromfolder%="\\Maxserver\Jobs\^?[from subfolder- 5 Digit Job
                            Number=]\MBS\Zip File\^?[from filename- 5 Digit Job Number=].zip"
                            ^!Set %tofolder%="c:\mbs_jobs\^?[to subfolder- 5 Digit Job Number=]\"

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
                              I have not tried your second email, altered example, as of yet. The
                              prompts, clip wizards, were all to be the same so that worked fine.
                              I have printed out the section on "Clip Wizards and Fields" along with your
                              examples to review this evening. Thanks again for your assistance.

                              Another question, am I missing something between the following lines in a
                              clip? Individually they work fine but put them together in a single clip
                              and it stops after the first ^!FocusApp is run. Any idea's?

                              ;;MBS (Print Shipper)
                              ^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
                              ^!FocusApp MBS2
                              ^!Delay 30
                              ^!Keyboard Enter #^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]# Enter

                              ;;STOPS HERE

                              WinZip (Extract DXF's)
                              ^!Shell ""C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE""
                              ^!FocusApp *WinZip
                              ^!Delay 15
                              ^!Keyboard Alt+F O Alt+I ;;File/Open .... File
                              Selection
                              ^!FocusApp *WinZip
                              ^!Delay 400
                              ^!Keyboard Alt+A E #J:\^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=]\MBS\DXF Drawings#
                              Alt+I #*.dxf# Enter

                              Kevin.............

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2002
                                > Kevin Witherite wrote:
                                >
                                > Another question, am I missing something between the following
                                > lines in a clip? Individually they work fine but put them
                                > together in a single clip and it stops after the first
                                > ^!FocusApp is run. Any idea's?
                                >
                                > Kevin.............

                                Hi Kevin,

                                > Is there a benefit to using curly braces over
                                > square brackets?

                                > REMEMBER, THE PROMPTS CANNOT BE IDENTICAL, UNLESS
                                > YOU PLAN IT THAT WAY.

                                > One critical thing I noticed in your clip,
                                > you have 4 clip wizards in it that are identical,
                                > as, ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job Number=].

                                > You could have a dozen wizards in a clip and if the prompts were
                                > identical you only get one entry choice instead of a dozen.

                                This is one of the cases where curly braces should work.

                                With square brackets and identical prompts - ^?[Enter 5 Digit Job
                                Number=] - both ^!Keyboard wizards are evaluated simultaneously when you
                                start the clip, and you would never get the prompt for the second wizard.

                                Curly braces are not evaluated until the progression in the clip reaches
                                the line they are in. They are evaluated like any other clip command or
                                function, when the running clip gets to them.

                                In this case identical prompts don't pose a problem.

                                I can't test this clip of course because my setup differs greatly from
                                yours.

                                Mainly, the only thing changed are the brackets to braces. I omited the
                                double-double quotes you had around the path.
                                You may have to replace them but if it works it should work with
                                single-double quotes.

                                H="MBS (Print Shipper)"
                                ^!Shell "C:\MBS\exewin1\MBS2.exe"
                                ^!FocusApp MBS2
                                ^!Delay 30
                                ^!Keyboard Enter #^?{Enter 5 Digit Job Number=}# Enter
                                ;
                                ; STOPS HERE
                                ;