Is NoteTab Lite with Clips good for newsletter templates?

  • Evan Dembskey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
      Hi,

      Despite the fact that I have been using NTL for about 8 months, I have not
      explored all it's possibilities. Now I have a problem that might be amenable
      to solution using NTL and clips.

      I want to set up a template for a weekly email newsletter I compile and
      edit. I don't want to have to manually enter stuff for every newsletter,
      like dates, headings and so on.

      So, it is possible, and how would I: Create a template that would insert a
      heading, a date and a disclaimer into a txt file? It woudl be great if I
      could drop articles into a form and have them formatted too, and a reference
      inserted to that article in the table of contents, but maybe I am asking too
      much?

      Any advice, pointers, places to start, would be great.

      Regards,

      Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2002
        Hi Evan,

        >Despite the fact that I have been using NTL for about 8 months, I
        >have not explored all it's possibilities. Now I have a problem
        >that might be amenable to solution using NTL and clips.
        >
        >I want to set up a template for a weekly email newsletter I
        >compile and edit. I don't want to have to manually enter stuff
        >for every newsletter, like dates, headings and so on.

        I don't use templates myself; Clips are much faster for me. I do
        know a lot of people prefer templates though.

        >So, it is possible, and how would I: Create a template that would
        >insert a heading, a date and a disclaimer into a txt file?

        <--- Copy below this line --->
        H=Newsletter Clip
        ; http:/www.notetab.net, Jody
        ^!Toolbar New Document
        Type your heading here.

        ^$GetDate(mmmm dd, yyyy)$ (See Date and Time filters in Help.)

        After clicking Clip paste your body here. Uh, try the body
        of your newsletter. <g>

        Type in your Disclaimer here.

        <--- Copy above this line --->
        <--- Right click over a Library --->
        <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

        >It would be great if I could drop articles into a form and have
        >them formatted too, and a reference inserted to that article in
        >the table of contents, but maybe I am asking too much?

        Everybody formats differently. I would at least put the
        following on your Toolbar: Join Lines, Split Lines, Reformat
        Lines..., all the case tools listed under Modify | Text Case, E-
        Mail quote and unquote, spell-checker, Replace dialog, and
        anything else you might think of.

        Try these two Libraries for formatting text. Perhaps you can get
        a few you like. Unfortunately you are not in a registered
        version so you cannot make a Clipbar especially for your
        newsletter.

        http://www.notetab.net/zip/eForm'r.zip
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/reformat.zip

        The following deals with the long/short line syndrome: Join
        Lines, Reformat Lines, Wrap to Column.

        Reformat Lines under the Modify can give you a long/short line
        effect if you are giving it a right margin that is longer than
        your document edit window's width. The reason is when you use
        the Reformat tool it completely strips all the hard line breaks
        from the paragraphs and then splits each line at the column that
        you specify in the dialog box. So, if your document edit window
        is at about 70 characters wide *and* you have word wrap *on* and
        you split the lines at 80 characters the line will *word wrap* at
        about 70 columns leaving about 10 characters wrapped to the next
        line. The reason only 10 or so characters will be there is
        because at about 80 characters NoteTab put the hard line break
        in. Press Ctrl+W and you will see the short lines wrap up to the
        longer ones above. I used "about at" so many characters, because
        it depends on where a whole word falls on how close it will be
        split, up to 80 columns above.

        One of the disadvantages of the Reformat Tool is the long/short
        line effect especially when distributing your work elsewhere
        because you do not know what settings the end user will have set.
        Another is, NoteTab will join *all* the lines together in one
        paragraph that do not have a blank line following them. So, if
        you have a list of items that are numbered or the like one line
        after each other, they will all be joined and then split at where
        you specified. You need to select different sections of the
        document at a time.

        When you Join Lines or using the Reformat tool, all lines that are
        not double spaced will be joined to each other. Be careful when
        doing whole documents looking out for lists of things. If Join
        Lines or the ReFormat Lines tool is used on the following:

        1. NoteTab Pro
        2. NoteTab Std
        3. MailBag Assistant
        4. Album Express
        5. Screen Savers

        NoteTab would join the lines so that the following would be the
        new format and most likely not what you want:

        1. NoteTab Pro 2. NoteTab Std 3. MailBag Assistant 4. Album Express 5. Screen Savers

        There is also Wrap to Column under the Document Properties menu.
        If the lines are not joined before you use it, you can also get a
        long/short line effect. Let's say the line are already hard
        wrapped at 78 and then you set column wrap to 70 you will end up
        with 70 & 8 character lines, or in the neighborhood thereof. You
        want to use Join Lines first if you are in that situation. On a
        side note, if you wrap to say column 78 and then open it in
        another editor or program the text will not be wrapped at 78. Wrap
        to Column use a soft wrap like word wrap. If you want to split
        the lines at 78 in this case select all (Ctrl+A) the text and use
        the Split Lines tool. That will enter the hard line breaks needed
        to retain the column width you desire.

        http://www.notetab.net

      • ville saalo
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
          I haven't had WinZip installed for ages as it is shareware and there are
          dozens of free packers that can handle many more formats than WinZip
          can (like http://www.ultimatezip.com/ which I use), but it seems to me that
          your clip could be made much shorter by using a command line (DOS)
          based zip utility like PK(Un)Zip... Maybe those eight lines of code could
          then be replaced by just one line. Try http://www.pkware.com/

          -Ville

          >; WinZip (Extract DXF's)
          >^!Shell "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"
          >^!FocusApp *WinZip
          >^!Delay 15
          >^!Keyboard Alt+F O Alt+I
          >; File/Open .... File
          >; Selection
          >^!FocusApp *WinZip
          >^!Delay 400
          >^!Keyboard Alt+A E #J:\^?{Enter 5 Digit Job Number=}\MBS\DXF Drawings#
          >Alt+I #*.dxf# Enter
        • CB2
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
            --- ville saalo <villes@...> wrote:
            > I haven't had WinZip installed for ages as it is shareware and there are
            > dozens of free packers that can handle many more formats than WinZip
            > can (like http://www.ultimatezip.com/ which I use), but it seems to me
            > that your clip could be made much shorter by using a command line (DOS)
            > based zip utility like PK(Un)Zip... Maybe those eight lines of code could
            > then be replaced by just one line. Try http://www.pkware.com/

            It might be said there are too many dozens of free packers.
            *I* wouldn't say it, mind you, but others might... ;-)

            Anyway, you don't need to get one of these other zip programs in order to
            use WinZip from a NoteTab clip without having to muck around with
            ^!FocusApp and a bunch of ^!Keyboard commands.

            Winzip has a free CLI plug-in with LOTS of command line options. You can
            get it at:

            <http://www.winzip.com/other.htm>

            ---
            Charles Beasley II
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
              Hi All,

              >>; WinZip (Extract DXF's)
              >>^!Shell "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"
              >>^!FocusApp *WinZip

              Check out my FtpZip Library. I has a few command-lines for
              WinZip and shows how to make one clickers for using with Ws_FtpLe
              (and also supports up to 10 servers and 20 upload host paths). No
              keyboard commands should be needed. It is best to avoid keyboard
              shortcuts using ^!Keyboard whenever possible. You can just use
              the pure command-line most likely for what you are doing and can
              get rid of all the guessing of the ^!Delays added.

              This is one of the Clips, but it will not work as is (one line):

              ^!SetIniFile NtbUsers
              ^!^$GetValue("WinZip:WinZip")$ -min -a -en "^?{(T=S)Full path and filename of zip file=^$GetValue("WinZip:SaveZip")$^$StrLower("^$GetName(^##)$.zip")$}" "^?{(T=O;S=M)File(s) to compress, wildcards are OK=^##}"

              The NoteTabbers' Assistant Page
              http://www.notetab.net

              "Jody Adair" <Jody@...>
              For NoteTab version 4.6 and above.