Re: [Clip] Get file name without path

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9 5:00 PM
      º hsavage wrote:
      º
      º º skinnerbird wrote:
      º º
      º º Once again, this is probably something simple that I'm overlooking
      º º (apologies...)
      º º
      º º Is there an easy way to retrieve the current filename and extension
      º º withOUT the path?
      º º
      º º
      º º --Geoffrey
      º º
      º
      º Geoffrey,
      º
      º Easy enough, try this in a clip, from NoteTab help.
      º
      º ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
      º Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path). Since
      º version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.
      º
      º If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question and
      º click on Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the clipboard.
      º
      º hrs
      º
      Addendum; If running a clip and you want to get the name of the focused
      you need to use one of the 2 wildcard for dealing with the current file.

      The wildcards would be, ^##, or, ^**. To find in Help goto;

      Help/ Help Topics/ Index Tab/ Clip Basics/ scroll toward bottom of page,
      starts under the ^!Continue command example.
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9 7:03 PM
        > If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question
        > and click on Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the
        > clipboard.

        Is there an option somewhere I've missed? When I tried this on a new
        file that has never been written to disk I get "filename.ext". For any
        file that exists on disk rClick on tab - copy name gives
        full_path_spec\filename.ext

        Also: Where is the documentation of the contents of the context menu
        when clicking on a tab? Normally [F1] would be expected to give this but
        using [F1] anywhere in on the main pane goes to "Edit Documents" and I
        don't find any entries for Context Menu on the Help Index-tab or using
        the Search-tab.

        Regards ... Alec

        > º Once again, this is probably something simple that I'm
        > overlooking º (apologies...)
        > º
        > º Is there an easy way to retrieve the current filename and
        > extension º withOUT the path?
        > º
        > º
        > º --Geoffrey
        > º
        >
        > Geoffrey,
        >
        > Easy enough, try this in a clip, from NoteTab help.
        >
        > ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
        > Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).
        > Since version
        > 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.
        >

        > hrs

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9 9:09 PM
          º Alec Burgess wrote:
          º
          º If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question
          º and click on Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the
          º clipboard.
          º
          º
          º Is there an option somewhere I've missed? When I tried this on a new
          º file that has never been written to disk I get "filename.ext". For any
          º file that exists on disk rClick on tab - copy name gives
          º full_path_spec\filename.ext
          º
          º Also: Where is the documentation of the contents of the context menu
          º when clicking on a tab? Normally [F1] would be expected to give this but
          º using [F1] anywhere in on the main pane goes to "Edit Documents" and I
          º don't find any entries for Context Menu on the Help Index-tab or using
          º the Search-tab.
          º
          º Regards ... Alec

          Alec,

          No, I don't think you're missing anything. When I did the Copy Name
          test it was on an unsaved file also.

          Sorry about the oversight.

          For Geoffrey's benefit here's a one line clip that will save only the
          filename.ext to the clipboard regardless of it being a saved or unsaved
          file.

          h="getfilename"
          ^!SetClipboard ^$GetFileName("^##")$

          ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
          Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).
          Since version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

          hrs
        • skinnerbird
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10 8:13 AM
            --- In ntb-clips@y..., hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:

            > For Geoffrey's benefit here's a one line clip that will save only
            the
            > filename.ext to the clipboard regardless of it being a saved or
            unsaved
            > file.
            >

            > h="getfilename"
            > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetFileName("^##")$
            >

            > ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
            > Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).
            > Since version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names
            and URLs.

            > hrs

            Thank you very much -- as I suspected, it was the wildcard that I was
            overlooking. For some reason, I missed the reference. Your clip plus
            a paste is exactly what I need. Thanks again.

            --Geoffrey
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10 3:41 PM
              Hi skinnerbird,

              > > h="getfilename"
              > > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetFileName("^##")$

              For future reference you can get any part of the full file name/path
              that you want. Test on a saved file and a file that needs saving
              with the following code.

              ^$GetPath("^##")^$^$GetFile("^##")$^$GetExt("^##")$
              ^$GetFileName("^#")$
              ^$GetPath("^**")^$^$GetFile("^**")$^$GetExt("^**")$

              ^$GetDocName$
              ^$GetDocName(Index)$ (added in v4.52)
              Returns the active document name, if no index is specified, or
              the document name at specified index position. An invalid index
              number returns an empty string. The first document is at index 1.

              You can cross reference ^$GetDocName to some others.

              http://www.notetab.net