Re: [Clip] Get file name without path

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
      º skinnerbird wrote:
      º
      º Once again, this is probably something simple that I'm overlooking
      º (apologies...)
      º
      º Is there an easy way to retrieve the current filename and extension
      º withOUT the path?
      º
      º
      º --Geoffrey
      º

      Geoffrey,

      Easy enough, try this in a clip, from NoteTab help.

      ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
      Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path). Since version
      4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

      If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question and click on
      Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the clipboard.

      hrs
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
        º hsavage wrote:
        º
        º º skinnerbird wrote:
        º º
        º º Once again, this is probably something simple that I'm overlooking
        º º (apologies...)
        º º
        º º Is there an easy way to retrieve the current filename and extension
        º º withOUT the path?
        º º
        º º
        º º --Geoffrey
        º º
        º
        º Geoffrey,
        º
        º Easy enough, try this in a clip, from NoteTab help.
        º
        º ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
        º Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path). Since
        º version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.
        º
        º If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question and
        º click on Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the clipboard.
        º
        º hrs
        º
        Addendum; If running a clip and you want to get the name of the focused
        you need to use one of the 2 wildcard for dealing with the current file.

        The wildcards would be, ^##, or, ^**. To find in Help goto;

        Help/ Help Topics/ Index Tab/ Clip Basics/ scroll toward bottom of page,
        starts under the ^!Continue command example.
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
          > If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question
          > and click on Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the
          > clipboard.

          Is there an option somewhere I've missed? When I tried this on a new
          file that has never been written to disk I get "filename.ext". For any
          file that exists on disk rClick on tab - copy name gives
          full_path_spec\filename.ext

          Also: Where is the documentation of the contents of the context menu
          when clicking on a tab? Normally [F1] would be expected to give this but
          using [F1] anywhere in on the main pane goes to "Edit Documents" and I
          don't find any entries for Context Menu on the Help Index-tab or using
          the Search-tab.

          Regards ... Alec

          > º Once again, this is probably something simple that I'm
          > overlooking º (apologies...)
          > º
          > º Is there an easy way to retrieve the current filename and
          > extension º withOUT the path?
          > º
          > º
          > º --Geoffrey
          > º
          >
          > Geoffrey,
          >
          > Easy enough, try this in a clip, from NoteTab help.
          >
          > ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
          > Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).
          > Since version
          > 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.
          >

          > hrs

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
            º Alec Burgess wrote:
            º
            º If you're not in a clip, right click on the tab in question
            º and click on Copy Name, that will copy the filename.ext to the
            º clipboard.
            º
            º
            º Is there an option somewhere I've missed? When I tried this on a new
            º file that has never been written to disk I get "filename.ext". For any
            º file that exists on disk rClick on tab - copy name gives
            º full_path_spec\filename.ext
            º
            º Also: Where is the documentation of the contents of the context menu
            º when clicking on a tab? Normally [F1] would be expected to give this but
            º using [F1] anywhere in on the main pane goes to "Edit Documents" and I
            º don't find any entries for Context Menu on the Help Index-tab or using
            º the Search-tab.
            º
            º Regards ... Alec

            Alec,

            No, I don't think you're missing anything. When I did the Copy Name
            test it was on an unsaved file also.

            Sorry about the oversight.

            For Geoffrey's benefit here's a one line clip that will save only the
            filename.ext to the clipboard regardless of it being a saved or unsaved
            file.

            h="getfilename"
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetFileName("^##")$

            ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
            Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).
            Since version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names and URLs.

            hrs
          • skinnerbird
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2002
              --- In ntb-clips@y..., hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:

              > For Geoffrey's benefit here's a one line clip that will save only
              the
              > filename.ext to the clipboard regardless of it being a saved or
              unsaved
              > file.
              >

              > h="getfilename"
              > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetFileName("^##")$
              >

              > ^$GetFileName(FileName)$
              > Returns the name and extension of FileName (without path).
              > Since version 4.8, this function works both on Windows file names
              and URLs.

              > hrs

              Thank you very much -- as I suspected, it was the wildcard that I was
              overlooking. For some reason, I missed the reference. Your clip plus
              a paste is exactly what I need. Thanks again.

              --Geoffrey
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2002
                Hi skinnerbird,

                > > h="getfilename"
                > > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetFileName("^##")$

                For future reference you can get any part of the full file name/path
                that you want. Test on a saved file and a file that needs saving
                with the following code.

                ^$GetPath("^##")^$^$GetFile("^##")$^$GetExt("^##")$
                ^$GetFileName("^#")$
                ^$GetPath("^**")^$^$GetFile("^**")$^$GetExt("^**")$

                ^$GetDocName$
                ^$GetDocName(Index)$ (added in v4.52)
                Returns the active document name, if no index is specified, or
                the document name at specified index position. An invalid index
                number returns an empty string. The first document is at index 1.

                You can cross reference ^$GetDocName to some others.

                http://www.notetab.net