Re: [Clip] Clip to Load Replace Dialog (Repost with minor fixes)

  • silvermoonwoman2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
      > at the risk of demonstrating how dense I may be ...
      > often these threads wind up fine, except we have no idea what they
      are for

      > can you in simple language explain why I might benefit from
      downloading this
      > clip ... or in other words ... what exactly does it do?

      Hi Don,

      Sorry, the explanation, accompanied the first posting yesterday:

      If you've ever wanted to use a saved search interactively
      from the Replace Dialog this clip is for you.

      It transfers a Find or Replace command from a clip or other
      file into the Replace dialog. (Note that it will only work
      on a clip document if launched from the Clipbar).

      Place the cursor anywhere on a line containing a clip Find
      or Replace command, then launch this clip.

      This clip requires the latest release of 4.91 (which allows
      dialog options to be changed with "+" or "-" keystrokes) and
      also a small utility for turning off Capslock. The utility
      is available here:
      http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/capslock/default.shtml

      On my hardware, the ^!Keyboard commands are reliable only
      with the "^!Delay 1" commands included. YMMV.

      Keep in mind that variables should not be used in Search or
      Replace texts executed from the Replace Dialog. For
      convenience, if the Replace text consists of "^%Empty%" it
      is replaced with nothingness.

      Once the dialog is loaded, you are prompted to switch to the
      target document. You can and should do this without closing
      the Replace dialog.

      Let me know if you find any problems, I've been using it
      awhile now so it should be pretty clean. I find it useful,
      so hopefully others will too.

      ===

      2nd posting with minor fixes available here:

    • john041650
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Sheri forgive me, but I'm like Don, a little dense here... For even after reading your intro text several times, I can not understand the basic purpose of your clip..

        Plus I have to admit that I ended up way out in left field when I saw the link to the capslock program.

        So let me ask Don's question a different way..

        What is it about Notetab's basic find and replace tool that you are trying to improve upon?

        All in the spirit of learning here...

        John :)

        --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
        > at the risk of demonstrating how dense I may be ...
        > often these threads wind up fine, except we have no idea what they are for
        >
        > can you in simple language explain why I might benefit from downloading this
        > clip ... or in other words ... what exactly does it do?
        >
        > --
        > Don Passenger
        > mailto:dpasseng@i...
        > home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
        > work: http://www.grcourt.org

      • silvermoonwoman2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "john041650" <john041650@y...> wrote:
          > Sheri forgive me, but I'm like Don, a little dense here... For
          even after reading your intro text several times, I can not
          understand the basic purpose of your clip..

          > So let me ask Don's question a different way..

          Hi John,

          Hope you are starting to get the picture about the purpose of my clip
          <g>

          > What is it about Notetab's basic find and replace tool that you are
          trying to improve upon?

          What I do or do not have to re-type, re-debug, etc.

          What I like about the Replace Dialog is its ability to do interactive
          selective replacements (Find Next/Replace), and also that you can get
          behind it and edit or copy from the document if you notice something
          that needs changing. For some things it doesn't pay to have to
          create a stand-alone clip.

          PS, Notetab doesn't provide a way to turn Capslock off, but its ^!
          Keyboard output is affected if Capslock happens to be on. That's the
          reason for the using the utility to turn it off.