Re: [Clip] Clip to Load Replace Dialog (Repost with minor fixes)

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      at the risk of demonstrating how dense I may be ...
      often these threads wind up fine, except we have no idea what they are for

      can you in simple language explain why I might benefit from downloading this
      clip ... or in other words ... what exactly does it do?

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      > This clip can be viewed and copied without broken lines around:

    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
        > at the risk of demonstrating how dense I may be ...
        > often these threads wind up fine, except we have no idea what they
        are for

        > can you in simple language explain why I might benefit from
        downloading this
        > clip ... or in other words ... what exactly does it do?

        Hi Don,

        Sorry, the explanation, accompanied the first posting yesterday:

        If you've ever wanted to use a saved search interactively
        from the Replace Dialog this clip is for you.

        It transfers a Find or Replace command from a clip or other
        file into the Replace dialog. (Note that it will only work
        on a clip document if launched from the Clipbar).

        Place the cursor anywhere on a line containing a clip Find
        or Replace command, then launch this clip.

        This clip requires the latest release of 4.91 (which allows
        dialog options to be changed with "+" or "-" keystrokes) and
        also a small utility for turning off Capslock. The utility
        is available here:
        http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/capslock/default.shtml

        On my hardware, the ^!Keyboard commands are reliable only
        with the "^!Delay 1" commands included. YMMV.

        Keep in mind that variables should not be used in Search or
        Replace texts executed from the Replace Dialog. For
        convenience, if the Replace text consists of "^%Empty%" it
        is replaced with nothingness.

        Once the dialog is loaded, you are prompted to switch to the
        target document. You can and should do this without closing
        the Replace dialog.

        Let me know if you find any problems, I've been using it
        awhile now so it should be pretty clean. I find it useful,
        so hopefully others will too.

        ===

        2nd posting with minor fixes available here:

      • john041650
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
          Sheri forgive me, but I'm like Don, a little dense here... For even after reading your intro text several times, I can not understand the basic purpose of your clip..

          Plus I have to admit that I ended up way out in left field when I saw the link to the capslock program.

          So let me ask Don's question a different way..

          What is it about Notetab's basic find and replace tool that you are trying to improve upon?

          All in the spirit of learning here...

          John :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
            --- In ntb-clips@y..., "john041650" <john041650@y...> wrote:
            > Sheri forgive me, but I'm like Don, a little dense here... For
            even after reading your intro text several times, I can not
            understand the basic purpose of your clip..

            > So let me ask Don's question a different way..

            Hi John,

            Hope you are starting to get the picture about the purpose of my clip
            <g>

            > What is it about Notetab's basic find and replace tool that you are
            trying to improve upon?

            What I do or do not have to re-type, re-debug, etc.

            What I like about the Replace Dialog is its ability to do interactive
            selective replacements (Find Next/Replace), and also that you can get
            behind it and edit or copy from the document if you notice something
            that needs changing. For some things it doesn't pay to have to
            create a stand-alone clip.

            PS, Notetab doesn't provide a way to turn Capslock off, but its ^!
            Keyboard output is affected if Capslock happens to be on. That's the
            reason for the using the utility to turn it off.