Re: [Clip] Final release of NoteTab 4.91 - NoteTab 4.0 Legacy

  • waynemv
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2002
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., <bryan_a@e...> wrote:

      > I received only one response to my question about getting rid of
      > the following problem in NoteTab. That response was to use the
      > "Scroll past end of Line" option.
      >
      > Actually the scroll past end of line feature is totally different
      > from the regular mode where the cursor is bound.
      > The problem occurs when this box is unchecked. So far, Notetab is
      > the only editor/processor I'm aware of that has this quirk.

      I think I understand your complaint; although personally, I find the
      S.P.E.O.L. option to be more pleasant to use than an editor where
      the cursor jumps to the ends of shorter lines when moved vertically.

      It seems you do not like having to press END to get to the true end
      of a short line; and not having a visual signal that a line has
      whitespace at the end. Am I understanding your complaints?
      Otherwise you would not reject S.P.E.O.L. as an option.

      I like S.P.E.O.L. because I like the cursor to stay with my eye
      movement and not jump left and right. It also makes it easier when
      adding a new column of left aligned text to the ends of existing
      rows; something I find reason to do quite often.

      But the S.P.E.O.L option in NoteTab Pro 4.91 Final and many earlier
      versions still has at least one bug. It fails on lines containing
      only tabs.

      I agree that it would be an improvement if NoteTab included your
      requested cursor behavior as an additional option. There are many
      feature requests both major and minor being requested, and I
      personally would not give yours a high priority. Still, I hope your
      specific request is eventually addressed.

      I do hope further 4.9x versions are released, to make further minor
      improvements to 4.91, and without us having to wait for 5.0. (And I
      still have some hope that one major feature promised for 5.0 will be
      reconsidered and found to be a minor feature than can be added to
      4.9x, by this I am referring to customizable keyboard shortcuts for
      clips.)

      I recently posted a list of feature requests to the NTB-NextRelease
      mailing list. While I would not expect Eric to implement all my
      suggestions - I hope he agrees that most of the requests are quite
      modest in their scope, are not too difficult to implement, and would
      be valuable to NoteTab users.

      I realize Eric can not spend all his time on 4.9x versions, and needs
      to move on to other projects. On the other hand, I consider the
      number of improvements still "begging to be made" to the 4.0+ series
      of NoteTab releases to be rapidly diminishing, and currently fewer
      than two dozen. Compared to the first NoteTab 4.0 release, this
      progress has been absolutely remarkable! (Thank you Eric.)

      I would be interested in hearing other opinions, especially Eric's.

      --
      Wayne