Re: [Clip] Re: Visual RegExp wow!

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
      Steve:

      > Does Visual RegExp aid you in *creating* the
      expression,
      > or just in *testing* the expression?
      >
      > For example, if I want to find "cat and "cot",
      > but not "cart" or "ct", will it tell me that
      > the regexp I want is "c.t"?

      I gave it the word list:
      cat
      cot

      It came back with: "(c[ao]t)"

      Not bad eh?

      Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2002
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:

          > Basically, the TCL/TK simply acts as an "interpreter" for
          > the "visual_regexp.tcl". You don't need to know anymore
          > about "programming" in tcl than you do to execute a "java
          > script" program.
          >
          > Just install the TCL somewhere on your hard disk (which
          > will set the association of .TCL files to the program
          > "wish.exe") and then click the "visual_regexp.tcl" or a
          > shortcut to it.

          Hi Alec,

          How much disk space is required? I've already got more learning
          projects than I can cope with at the moment (some of which is thanks
          to you lol <g>) but by making it sound simple to use you're tempting
          me.

        • john041650
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2002
            Thanks Alec, I HAD missed something big time.. Or more accurately I had downloaded the wrong things the first time.. When I went to the TCL TK download link you gave us, I saw TCL TK in the top left corner and clicked on that.. On the next page I clicked the TCL and TK Source files in zip format... What I got were open source files that had yet to be compiled, that's where I went wrong and it sounds like maybe Steve did the same thing..

            This time I went back to the same page, and clicked on the same download link, but instead I went down a little farther until I found "Binary Releases"... Geez, I should have known that, how dumb can I be? Uhh....don't answer that please.. :)

            Anyway, now I have it installed and I know just enough at this moment to know it works... I'll have to play with this for bit..

            Thanks again Alec..

          • john041650
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2002
              Sheri, my installation takes up just a wee bit over 20 mb of space.. The installation file for Windows that I downloaded was 7.6 mb in size..

              John :)

              --- In ntb-clips@y..., "silvermoonwoman2001" <silvermoonwoman@c...> wrote:
              > Hi Alec,
              >
              > How much disk space is required? I've already got more learning
              > projects than I can cope with at the moment (some of which is thanks
              > to you lol <g>) but by making it sound simple to use you're tempting
              > me.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri
            • silvermoonwoman2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2002
                --- In ntb-clips@y..., "john041650" <john041650@y...> wrote:
                > Sheri, my installation takes up just a wee bit over 20 mb of
                space.. The installation file for Windows that I downloaded was 7.6
                mb in size..

                > John :)

                Ok thanks, I got and installed it, but won't be able to look at it
                until tomorrow. BTW, 70+ MB is needed during the install.

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 11, 2002
                  Sheri, John (et all)... (I'm copying this to Off-topic)

                  John, those look like the same numbers I've got.
                  (Visual_Regex itself is a "whopping" 112 KB ;-)

                  Sherri said:
                  > > How much disk space is required? I've already got
                  more learning
                  > > projects than I can cope with at the moment (some of
                  which is thanks
                  > > to you lol <g>) but by making it sound simple to use
                  you're tempting
                  > > me.

                  Talk to me about it !!! On my 4.02 GB HDD I run somewhere
                  between 80 MB and 110 MB free depending on whether I've
                  done DiskClean in the last hour or the last two days.
                  I've got TIF set to 5 MB (with cable, TIF cache is about
                  the biggest waste of disk going! and the ONLY thing that
                  ever gets into Recycle is stuff I forget to hold the
                  Shift-key down on. (I've got an 18 GB drive sitting on a
                  new (permanent loan from my non-technical brother) Win2K
                  laptop that I can't make use of yet because I haven't got
                  an ADMIN password and hence have been unable to get on
                  the internet with and (as yet) unable to set up a Direct
                  Cable Connection (directcc.exe) connection with the small
                  Win98 laptop!

                  A couple of tools you might find worthwhile for squeezing
                  the last bit of use out your available hard-disk. All of
                  these can be found I think by just googling:
                  <program-name>+download

                  Disk cleaning: SuperCleaner and DiskState (both
                  shareware, there are perfectly good freeware
                  alternatives)
                  SuperCleaner: http://www.southbaypc.com/SuperCleaner/
                  DiskState: http://geekcorp.com/diskstate/getit.php

                  Disk Use Visualization: (all three of these are freeware)

                  DiskPieView (from PCmag), Pie view, shows twenty largest
                  subfolders: also has graph be file-type and separate
                  report pop-ups of 20 largest folders and 20 largest files
                  with a folder of disk.

                  DirGraph - this one goes arbitrarily deep in a folder
                  structure showing relative sizes.

                  Both these go on your "Explorer rightContext menu" for
                  disks, and folders.

                  Scanner: This one gives a really nice view of your whole
                  disk with each level arranged as concentric circles. It
                  is really good for finding large areas of disk that are
                  being "wasted"

                  DiskPie View:
                  DirGraph: http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/
                  Scanner:
                  http://www.onlythebestfreeware.com/program.asp?program_id
                  =52

                  Note: "scanner" is a LOUSY name for a program! To make it
                  come near the top in a Google search I had to use a bunch
                  of extra qualifiers:
                  "scanner download program size usage pie"

                  Regards ... Alec