Please: Could someone help me with a Regular Expression?

  • steveadausa
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2002
      Hi Everybody,

      I would really appreciate some help with a regular expression.

      From "text sample 1" below, I would like my clip to "Find" everything
      from the first instance of "CHORD DISTANCE OF" until it encounters
      the first semicolon.

      text sample 1:

      THENCE EASTERLY ON THE ARC OF A CURVE CONCAVE TO THE SOUTHERLY AND
      HAVING A RADIUS OF 330.00 FEET, RUN A CHORD DISTANCE OF 127.54 FEET
      TO THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF TRACT "A", GLENHAVEN, ACCORDING TO PLAT
      BOOK 35, PAGES 16 THROUGH 21, OF SAID PUBLIC RECORDS, THE BEARING OF
      SAID CHORD BEING NORTH 85 DEGREES 15 MINUTES 43 SECONDS EAST; THENCE
      SOUTHWESTERLY ON THE ARC OF A CURVE CONCAVE TO THE SOUTHEASTERLY
      AND HAVING A RADIUS OF 30.00 FEET, RUN A CHORD DISTANCE OF 42.43
      FEET TO THE EASTERLY LINE OF COUNTY ROAD NO. C-739 (HENLEY ROAD),
      THE BEARING OF SAID CHORD BEING SOUTH 45 DEGREES 17 MINUTES
      07 SECONDS WEST;

      First, let me show you something I can already do:

      ^!Find "CHORD +DISTANCE +OF \d+.\d+ +FEET[A-Z0-9\s\,]+;" SR

      will do the job if I have a simpler text sample, i.e.:

      text sample 2:

      THENCE NORTHWESTERLY ON THE ARC OF A CURVE CONCAVE TO THE
      SOUTHWESTERLY AND HAVING A RADIUS OF 480.00 FEET, RUN A CHORD
      DISTANCE OF 328.06 FEET, THE BEARING OF SAID CHORD BEING NORTH 31
      DEGREES 49 MINUTES 19 SECONDS WEST;

      but that clip will not find anything on text sample 1.

      So, I hacked out another clip and tried it on text sample 1:

      ^!Find "CHORD +DISTANCE +OF \d+.\d+ +FEET.*;" SR

      but that "Find" does not stop at the the first instance of a
      semicolon,
      it includes all text until the_very_last semicolon.

      I have tried tweaking this clip for 4 hours (okay, so I'm not a
      genius),
      but I can't get it right. Can anyone help me with this?

      Thank you very much,

      Steve Adams (NTP 4.9)
    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2002
        --- In ntb-clips@y..., "steveadausa" <steveadausa@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Everybody,
        >
        > I would really appreciate some help with a regular expression.
        >
        > From "text sample 1" below, I would like my clip to "Find"
        everything
        > from the first instance of "CHORD DISTANCE OF" until it encounters
        > the first semicolon.

        If it doesn't matter what is found, as long as it isn't a semicolon,
        you can do it like this:

        CHORD DISTANCE OF[^;]*

        What's in the brackets means not a semicolon. The asterisk means any
        number (including zero) of non-semicolons. A plus would mean at
        least one non-semicolon. Looking at your sample, there are multiple
        spaces between CHORD and DISTANCE. If you highlight your text and
        select from the menu {Modify|Spaces|Single Space} it will make those
        spaces more predictable.

        Cheers,
        Sheri