Visual RegExp wow!

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2002
      Sherri, Hugo, Jody, Allan .... and any other RegExp
      experts or wanna-bees in the list:

      I found out about this on the PowerPro list - it's
      fantastic
      for creating RegExp's, previewing what's going to happen
      when they are applied, or even (by <copy> then
      <paste-back> actually doing the work.

      It also has support for non-greedy RegExps.
      One caution: like (I think) Perl and most other programs
      it uses "(-----)" for both Ntb's alternation operation
      and to identify pieces for replacement. ie: anywhere you
      use "{----}" and in the Replace have "\1", "\2",... etc.
      use "(-----)" instead.

      From the PowerPro forum:
      > Even if you don't like Regular Expressions or don't
      have
      > Tcl installed, look at what this guy made for Regex
      > junkies: http://laurent.riesterer.free.fr/regexp/

      >>In order to run this program, you need to have Tcl/Tk
      8.3.0 (or later) installed (click here to download it).
      http://www.scriptics.com <<

      Note: the TCL (some kind of programming language ?) is a
      fairly big download but once installed you don't need to
      use it to run the Visual RegExp

      Maybe one of you clip'n wizards could work out a clip
      that would allow me to replace Ntb's find/replace (by a
      clipbar button)? At least initially I intend to run it by
      simply putting a shortcut to it on the QuickLaunch bar
      and using the regular MS-Clipboard to copy original and
      paste back the replacements.

      Regards ... Alec
    • steveadausa
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2002
        First of all, Thank you Sheri for giving me the right
        code for my regexp. I appreciate it!

        Hey Alec,

        Does Visual RegExp aid you in *creating* the expression,
        or just in *testing* the expression?

        For example, if I want to find "cat and "cot",
        but not "cart" or "ct", will it tell me that
        the regexp I want is "c.t"?

        Thanks, Steve Adams
      • john041650
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2002
          Hi Alec,

          Your thread intrigued me, so I went to the links you posted, read about Visual RegExp and even downloaded the TCL TK zip files.. But when I started reading what all is involved to compile and use those TCL TK files, I did a double take and went "Whoooaaaa Nelly! This is way overkill for what I need."

          Did I miss something? I use RegExp but not often enough to go through all that..

          Thanks,

          John :)

          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
          > Sherri, Hugo, Jody, Allan .... and any other RegExp
          > experts or wanna-bees in the list:
          >
          > I found out about this on the PowerPro list - it's
          > fantastic
          > for creating RegExp's, previewing what's going to happen
          > when they are applied, or even (by <copy> then
          > <paste-back> actually doing the work.
          >
          > It also has support for non-greedy RegExps.
          > One caution: like (I think) Perl and most other programs
          > it uses "(-----)" for both Ntb's alternation operation
          > and to identify pieces for replacement. ie: anywhere you
          > use "{----}" and in the Replace have "\1", "\2",... etc.
          > use "(-----)" instead.
          >
          > From the PowerPro forum:
          > > Even if you don't like Regular Expressions or don't
          > have
          > > Tcl installed, look at what this guy made for Regex
          > > junkies: http://laurent.riesterer.free.fr/regexp/
          >
          > >>In order to run this program, you need to have Tcl/Tk
          > 8.3.0 (or later) installed (click here to download it).
          > http://www.scriptics.com <<
          >
          > Note: the TCL (some kind of programming language ?) is a
          > fairly big download but once installed you don't need to
          > use it to run the Visual RegExp
          >
          > Maybe one of you clip'n wizards could work out a clip
          > that would allow me to replace Ntb's find/replace (by a
          > clipbar button)? At least initially I intend to run it by
          > simply putting a shortcut to it on the QuickLaunch bar
          > and using the regular MS-Clipboard to copy original and
          > paste back the replacements.
          >
          > Regards ... Alec
        • steveadausa
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2002
            Hi Alec,

            I also downloaded the Tcl stuff, and unzipped it.
            What else do I need to do to "activate" it? Do I have
            to compile it, or just install it some way?

            Thanks, Steve
          • Peter Stagg
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2002
              Interesting Thread...

              A few things you all might like to know:

              "Tcl is an interpreted script language from Sun Microsystems. It is
              comparable to:
              - Netscape's JavaScript
              - Microsoft's Visual Basic
              - The UNIX-derived Practical Extraction and Reporting Language
              - IBM's Restructured Extended Executor
              In general, script languages are easier and faster to code in than the
              more structured, compiled languages such as C and C++ and are ideal for
              programs of very limited capability or that can reuse and tie together
              existing compiled programs.

              Tcl has a companion program, Tool Kit (Tk), to help create a graphical
              user interface with Tcl. Both Tcl and Tk can be downloaded or ordered
              from Sun's Web site."
              http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid12_gci213098,00.ht
              ml

              The simple and painless way to download and install is TCL is to use
              ActiveTcl from ActiveState:
              http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/
              (Download button in top left corner)

              The current stable version for windows is version 8.3.4.3 and the
              download is 7.5MB - size on disk when installed is 21.7MB

              N.B. Visual RegExp will not always give you a regexp that is compatible
              with NoteTab. NoteTabs regexp differs from other forms of regexp used in
              more general scripting/programming such as Perl etc. which VRegExp is
              most likely built for. As a test I gave it the words "cat, sat, mat,
              spat" and it gave me the expression "(sp?|c|m)at" which certainly does
              not work in my version of NTb the regexp I *might* use in NoteTab would
              look like this "(s|c|m)p?at" a subtle difference but an important one.

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 2002
                Hi All,

                Please take this thread to the OffTopic list.

                I will be setting up another list: ntb-scripts which will be for
                all scrip[ting languages and I won't have a program with programs
                being posted there that aid/enhance NoteTab so long as it is just
                a few posts about it.

                My Dad died Sat. am, so I am a bit behind.

                http://www.notetab.net