[Clip] Re: Strip stop words

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 1999
      Hi Eric,

      > I'm a rookie with NoteTab and was wondering if there is a clip
      > which will remove stop words (i.e. remove all occurences of the
      > words; and, the, is, of, etc) from a page or selected area?

      I had mentioned yesterday in removing quotes thread that the H
      option stays selected for a reason. That is so one can do
      multiple search and replaces in one pass without having to select
      the text again. This is one of those times it comes in handy.
      Take out the space after the word if you do not want a space
      removed. I added them thinking you would be left with a double
      space where the words are removed.

      ^!Replace "and " >> "" HAS
      ^!Replace "the " >> "" HAS
      ^!Replace "is " >> "" HAS
      ^!Replace "of " >> "" HAS
      ^!Jump Select_Start

      If no text is selected the H option is ignored and in the case of
      the clip above the whole document will be used for the Replace
      commands.

      A safety can be put in if you do not want to do the whole document
      at anytime. Add this above the others if that is the case.

      ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetSelection$) End

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
    • Eric Richards
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 1999
        Hi All,

        I'm a rookie with NoteTab and was wondering if there is a clip which will remove stop words (i.e. remove all occurences of the words; and, the, is, of, etc) from a page or selected area?

        Eric Richards
        Eric_Richards@...
        http://www.UpscaleMale.com
        Men's Gifts, Gadgets and Accessories
        Website Currently Under Development
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 1999
          Hi Eric,

          > I tried doing what you have suggested but I get syntax errors.
          > It also replaces a word "a " with the replace command (i.e.
          > !^replace "a ">> "" etc)

          The code has to be written exactly how NoteTab looks for it.

          !^replace "a ">> ""

          should be

          ^!replace "a " >> ""

          <--- Copy below this row --->
          ^!Replace "and " >> "" HAS
          ^!Replace "the " >> "" HAS
          ^!Replace "is " >> "" HAS
          ^!Replace "of " >> "" HAS
          ^!Jump Select_Start
          <--- Copy above this row, right --->
          <--- click over a Library, and --->
          <--- choose: Add from Clipboard --->

          If you are reading the list posts on the web and the Clips are
          all coming out on one line click on the eGroups Source link and
          the Clips will be shown as they were sent by the eMail program.

          Happy NoteTabbin',
          Jody Adair

          The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
          NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
          http://www.notetab.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
            Hi Eric,

            > 1. Is there a way I can search and replace a word that ends with a
            > carriege return character(.e. "and<carreige return"?

            Use the token ^p or ^%nl% in Find/Replace Clips or ^p in the
            regular Tools. Sometimes you need to use ^%nl% in some of the
            commands instead of ^p else ^p with be printed into the document.

            > 2. How would one remove numbers, miscellaneous characters, etc? I
            > only want words left on a page.

            Just continue adding to the clip I sent you.

            > I'm trying to analyze word frequency on an html page for better
            > search engine positioning.

            I think Michael told you the best way to go about what you are
            trying to do. I was just following orders by your command, sir,
            doing the Clips for you. :)

          • eric_richards@upscalemale.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
              Hi Jody,

              I tried doing what you have suggested but I get syntax errors. It also
              replaces a word "a " with the replace command (i.e. !^replace "a ">> ""
              etc)

              Forgive me as I new to notetab and not sure why its doing this.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
                Thanks, that did the trick. Copying from the source helped. Next
                question

                1. Is there a way I can search and replace a word that ends with a
                carriege return character(.e. "and<carreige return>"?

                2. How would one remove numbers, miscellaneous characters, etc? I only
                want words left on a page.

                I'm trying to analyze word frequency on an html page for better search
                engine positioning.

                Thanks

                <3.0.5.32.19990730235911.0083610-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips/?start=905
                > Hi Eric,
                >
                > > I tried doing what you have suggested but I get syntax errors.
                > > It also replaces a word "a " with the replace command (i.e.
                > > !^replace "a ">> "" etc)
                >
                > The code has to be written exactly how NoteTab looks for it.
                >
                > !^replace "a ">> ""
                >
                > should be
                >
                > ^!replace "a " >> ""
                >
                > <--- Copy below this row --->
                > ^!Replace "and " >> "" HAS
                > ^!Replace "the " >> "" HAS
                > ^!Replace "is " >> "" HAS
                > ^!Replace "of " >> "" HAS
                > ^!Jump Select_Start
                > <--- Copy above this row, right --->
                > <--- click over a Library, and --->
                > <--- choose: Add from Clipboard --->
                >
                > If you are reading the list posts on the web and the Clips are
                > all coming out on one line click on the eGroups Source link and
                > the Clips will be shown as they were sent by the eMail program.

              • Michael Gerholdt
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
                  Are you familiar with TOOLS | Text Statistics >> More?

                  Michael Gerholdt

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
                    Hi Michael,

                    Yep. I'm familiar with the text statistics and I'm using it in the clip
                    I'm creating (first one!:)). However, I need to strip out all of the
                    non-words prior to running the text statistics else I get alot of
                    garbage.

                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips/?start=907