Multi File Saves

  • xenos33
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
      Hello NoteTabbers:

      If you have multiple files open in NTP and need to change to one or
      two lines in the file, Is there a way to to save ALL files with this
      change? Can Notetab do this or is there a clip floating around out
      there that already does this?

      Michael Xenos
    • john041650
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
        Hello Michael,

        There are several ways you can do this with NoteTab.. You can individually edit your open files and then save them all by going to FILE/SAVE ALL.

        You can search and replace the same lines in all open documents by using replace feature found under SEARCH/REPLACE. Just check the "Scope" option that says "All Documents".. Afterwards, use the FILE/SAVE ALL feature mentioned above..

        And of course you can custom write yourself a clip that will do what you want..

        However, my preferred method is to use the very powerful SEARCH DISK feature, I use that a lot.. To use that just go to SEARCH/SEARCH DISK. I would suggest you make back up copies of your files before you use this as it is not reversible.. It alters and saves all files according to the criteria you input into the dialog box.. Almost all of my multiple search, replace, and save operations involve html files, so when I use Search Disk, I first click the "Browse" button to find the folder I want to use.. Then I'll set the "File Mask" to only search for html files.. An example of that mask is below where I'll search and replace text in all htm and html files within the c:\upload\ folder...

        C:\upload\*.htm*

        John :)

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
          Hi Michael,

          I misplaced the other reply to this, so here goes...

          You can Replace in All Documents if the criteria is the same. Select the text to replace and open the Replace dialog. If the text is under 255 characters (I think - it's in help) it will appear in the Find side. Double click on the Replace with to get the same text in the Replace with side. Do that if there are just a few changes to be made, but basically using the same text. Check the box to do All Documents and Replace All. Right click over a tab after that and choose Save All, assuming you replaced what you wanted to. ;)

          You can use Search Disk as well; just a bit more chance of messing up some documents, but you can usually fix them in the same way you messed them up if it happens. ;) I like to live on the wild side sometimes and just go for it getting the adrenalin high wondering if it is going to be correct. <g>

          You can always open one file in the folder and do the regular Replace with it, then use that data in Search Disk.

          > If you have multiple files open in NTP and need to change to one or
          >two lines in the file, Is there a way to to save ALL files with this
          >change? Can Notetab do this or is there a clip floating around out
          >there that already does this?

          http://www.notetab.net

        • xenos33
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
            THANK YOU Jodi & John!

            All clips on Yahoo pertaining to NTP are indespensable learing
            tools. Thank you all.

            Michael Xenos