Dos Command

  • Robert Barrows
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 7:39 AM
      I'm trying to execute a batch file in my root directory called squire.bat

      I'm using ^!Dos squire.bat to execute the command.

      This should open and run a perl script, but the Dos window opens and closes
      very rapidly, and nothing happens. The script is not executed.

      Is there a specific syntax I need to use with the ^!Dos command?

      Thanks.
    • philurex@softhome.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4 3:36 PM
        Hi everyone,

        In the text version of an email newsletter I develop, I routinely
        wrap paragraphs at 70 chrs; I sometimes also bullet, wrap, and indent
        5 chrs. For example, I might begin with this...

        ~~~~~~~~~~
        "Tiny teeth from a prehistoric animal are proof that mammals and
        dinosaurs roamed the Earth together.

        Until now, some scientists had suspected that mammals arose after
        dinosaurs had become extinct.

        But the new finding showed that early mammals lived much earlier than
        those scientists thought."
        ~~~~~~~~~~

        ... and end with this:

        * Tiny teeth from a prehistoric animal are proof that mammals
        and dinosaurs roamed the Earth together.

        * Until now, some scientists had suspected that mammals arose
        after dinosaurs had become extinct.

        * But the new finding showed that early mammals lived much
        earlier than those scientists thought.

        I bullet with Ctrl-B and use this clip to indent/wrap:

        ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+M #5# Tab #70# Enter

        Now for the question. I'd like to wind up with this:

        * Tiny teeth from a prehistoric animal are proof that mammals
        and dinosaurs roamed the Earth together.

        * Until now, some scientists had suspected that mammals arose
        after dinosaurs had become extinct.

        * But the new finding showed that early mammals lived much
        earlier than those scientists thought.

        That is, the 2nd line is indented 2 more space so it looks like a
        hanging indent.

        Any ideas how to do this with a clip?

        Many thanks in advance,

        --a.rex
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4 11:30 PM
          Hi,

          >That is, the 2nd line is indented 2 more space so it looks like a
          >hanging indent.
          >
          >Any ideas how to do this with a clip?

          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+b
          ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+M #7# Tab #70# Enter
          ^!Replace "^%SPACE%^%SPACE%*" >> "*" HIS
          ; works on 1 or 2 or more lines
          ; --<end of clip<

          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+b
          ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+M #5# Tab #70# Enter
          ^!Jump SELECT_END
          ^!Jump LINE_START
          ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^%SPACE%
          ^!Jump LINE_END
          ; Requires 2 lines like your enclosed sample
          ; --<end of clip<

          Of the 2 clips above, I like the 1st (the top) clip better since it uses less code and can work on 1, 2, 3, 4, or even more lines. The 2nd clip only works on your enclosed sample (2 lines REQUIRED) or it will NOT do the intended job. Teh 1st clip in the replace line the H option makes for replacement to happen ONLY on text that is selected (ctrl-b selects your text and it is still selected when the 3rd line, the replace line, does its job).

          Will render each line at same width of 70. From 7, it jumps the top line down to 5 spaces.

          To get top line at 70 with underneath lines at 68 well nothing comes to mind at the moment regarding that. Set it at 69 and use the first clip above?

          --
          Have fun! Alan.
        • philurex@softhome.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5 3:18 AM
            Alan generously offered this clip...

            > ^!Keyboard Ctrl+b
            > ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+M #7# Tab #70# Enter
            > ^!Replace "^%SPACE%^%SPACE%*" >> "*" HIS
            > ; works on 1 or 2 or more lines
            > ; --<end of clip<

            [snip]

            > Of the 2 clips above, I like the 1st...

            Me too, thank you very much Alan. Works best on 1 paragraph at a
            time, which is acceptable to me since our newsletters are relatively
            small.

            Appreciate your quick reply, I'll be using it first thing today!

            --a.rex
          • silvermoonwoman2001
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5 1:58 PM
              --- In ntb-clips@y..., "philurex@s..." <philurex@s...> wrote:

              > Me too, thank you very much Alan. Works best on 1 paragraph at a
              > time, which is acceptable to me since our newsletters are
              relatively
              > small.
              >
              > Appreciate your quick reply, I'll be using it first thing today!

              Hi Alan, philurex and others,

              Its often a challenging learning experience for me, these little clip
              issues that come up <g>

              Here is my solution to formatting bulleted paragraphs. It is
              flexible enough to permit multiple lines, multiple paragraphs, even
              reformatting of previously formatted paragraphs. Just start by
              highlighting from the start of first paragraph to the end of the last
              paragraph to be formatted.

              In its current incarnation, this clip is not flexible in terms of the
              Margin or Width, they are coded as 7 and 68, and there are matching
              numbers of spaces used in replace commands. The bullet appears at
              left margin 5.

              Bulleted Paragraphs
              ;8-5-2002 by Sheri Pierce
              ^!SetHintInfo Reformat in Progress
              ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
              ^!Replace "^[\s\*]*" >> "" ISRHA
              ^!Set %s%=^%SPACE%
              ^!Set %7s%=^%s%^%s%^%s%^%s%^%s%^%s%^%s%
              ^!Set %5s%=^%s%^%s%^%s%^%s%^%s%
              ^!SetPasteIndent Off
              ^!InsertSelect ^P^$GetSelection$
              ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Join Lines
              ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";7;68;False)$
              ^!InsertSelect ^P^P^$GetSelection$
              ^!Replace "^P^P^%7s%" >> "^P^P^%5s%*^%s%" ISHA
              ^!InsertSelect ^$StrDeleteLeft("^$GetSelection$";4)$
              ;end of clip
            • Alan C.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6 1:51 AM
                Hi everyone,

                By the way, that 1st short clip of mine wasn't a true hanging indent since the bullet was added first then column formatting happened then cheat by jumping the top line leftwards two spaces.

                Inspired by Sheri's idea of a true hanging indent (column formatting first then insert the bullet)

                Here's a slightly different approach that's user configurable. It's designed to be used on either a paragraph or multiple paragraphs where each paragraph is separated by a blank line

                you cannot change the variables themselves, but it is the values of the variables that are changeable it is done in the 1st line of the clip as per the clip's comments.

                Probably handy for one up to not a really large quantity of paragraphs since, after 1st paragraph, when multiple paragraphing is activated or turned on, it prompts to continue on for each of next paragraphs. Clip follows.

                H="Bullet Thing"
                ; to begin, click anywhere in your 1st paragraph
                ; this clip adds a bullet & column formats your paragraph(s)
                ; if you're using this clip's mp (multi paragraph) feature then
                ; your paragraphs must be separated by a blank line
                ; %mp%=0 means the multiple paragraph feature is turned off
                ; %mp%=1 means the multiple paragraph feature is turned on
                ; hint: any of the values in the next line may be changed
                ^!Set %bullet%=*; %lmarg%=7; %txtwidth%=69; %mp%=0
                ; ^!Set %bullet%=*; %lmarg%=7; %txtwidth%=69; %mp%=0
                ^!Set %wrap%=^$IsWordWrap$; %cnt%=1
                ^!If ^%lmarg% < 2 warnprompt
                :initstuff
                ^!Inc %cnt%
                ^!Append %spacsize1%=^%SPACE%
                ^!If ^%cnt% < 3 Skip
                ^!Append %spacsize2%=^%SPACE%
                ^!If ^%cnt% = ^%lmarg% exitinit
                ^!Goto initstuff
                :exitinit
                ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                ^!SetWordWrap OFF
                :multipar
                ^!Set %parstart%=^$GetRow$
                ^!Select PARAGRAPH
                ^!InsertText ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";^%lmarg%;^%txtwidth%;0)$^p
                ^!SetCursor ^%parstart%:1
                ^!Replace "^%spacsize1%" >> "^%spacsize2%^%bullet%" IS
                ^!IfFalse ^%mp% wrapup
                ^!Skip Process next paragraph?
                ^!Goto wrapup
                ^!Find "^p^p" IS
                ^!IfError wrapup
                ^!Jump SELECT_END
                ^!Goto multipar
                :wrapup
                ^!SetWordWrap ^%wrap%
                ^!ClearVariable %spacsize1%
                ^!ClearVariable %spacsize2%
                ^!Goto end
                :warnprompt
                ; lmarg is left hand margin size
                ^!SetWizardTitle ~~ lmarg error!
                ^!Info You've set lmarg too small!^%NL%^%NL%its value must be 2 or larger!
                ; ---<end of clip<

                --
                Alan.
              • philurex@softhome.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 8 7:32 PM
                  Thank you Alan, Sheri and silvermoonwoman2001 for all your clip help!

                  --a.rex